Interview: Canon engineers talk Canon EOS R development

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Imaging resource had a chance to sit down with Canon engineers to discuss the development of the brand new Canon EOS system.
We cherry-picked a couple of our favourite questions and answers from the interview.
Does AF coverage change with EF-mount lenses?
Since EF-mount lenses used via the adapter are so much further from the sensor surface, it seems likely that they wouldn’t be able to support as large an AF area as native RF-mount ones. I asked, and it turns out this is true. It will vary some based on the specific lens design, but some EF-mount lenses won’t have quite as wide AF coverage as the native ones. Native RF-mount coverage is 100% vertically and 88% horizontally, but some EF-mount lenses will only have 80% horizontal coverage (again, depending on the specific lens design).

Why so many electrical contacts? (In regards to the RF mount)
The engineers didn’t go...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
There is one huge advantage in the crop mode on the EOS R compared to the 5D Mark IV in that you can fit adapted EF-S lenses onto it. I wrote a whole lump about this that I won't repeat here on my blog (see link below) in my article about what on earth is going to happen to EF-M next...

www.everyothershot.com

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I guess this is what you get when photo-centric websites ask about video specs. The C700FF sensor is indeed full frame. Specifically, it's 38 x 20 and shoots in a 1.89 aspect ratio.

Canon is just reserving FF 4k readout for higher priced models. Why is that so hard for them to admit and consumers to understand?

Upvote 0
No one is going to use 100% of a sensor for focusing, this sounds like a gimmick and that's probably because it is, sure more may be better but if you are trying to focus on the edge of what you are trying to capture is the image really worth capturing or is the image worth seeing? I'm all for advancement but this is cheap advertising also my c200 does a full sensor read out, the c700 does a full sensor read out. We all like canon but this interview is like listening to the apple keynote, just getting bludgeon with bs.

Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I wonder if there's any technical reason why they wouldn't update codec options for 5D IV.

I do very much believe this. I have a hard time believing they lack any technical know-how regarding full-frame 4K readout.

It's possible that Canon must maneuver around Sony patents, fabrication process issues, etc. Still, Canon has patents in hand that point to a new sensor platform.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
It's possible that Canon must maneuver around Sony patents, fabrication process issues, etc. Still, Canon has patents in hand that point to a new sensor platform.
Yeah, I wonder about the patent maneuvering from time-to-time. It's hard to know what is being withheld for technological, financial, or legal reasons.

Upvote 0

ken

Engineer, snapper of photos, player of banjos
CR Pro
Aug 8, 2016
Huntsville, AL
I guess this is what you get when photo-centric websites ask about video specs. The C700FF sensor is indeed full frame. Specifically, it's 38 x 20 and shoots in a 1.89 aspect ratio.

Canon is just reserving FF 4k readout for higher priced models. Why is that so hard for them to admit and consumers to understand?

I think it is more than just segmentation. I firmly believe it's technical.

In the a7riii Sony is able to apply interpolation to the entire sensor readout of 7952 x 5304 to produce a video frame of 3,840 x 2,160, and do it fast enough to keep high data stream rates. Canon simply can't do that yet. They crop out of the middle of the high-resolution photocentric sensor to get the precise resolution needed for 4K rather than attempting to downsample in real time. Why? Because it's a CPU intensive process and they can't maintain the data stream rate required for video.

I'm fairly certain that Sony's big breakthrough was parallelizing this process on the sensor itself. It's the most logical place to do it, as so much of the sensor handling is inherently parallelized to the pixel. Think of how nVidia does similar processing with vertex shaders and pixel shaders on the GPU. One or two clock cycles and you have an interpolated frame output, vs iterating over each "effective" pixel on an external processor that has to iterate over every pixel and perform "nearest neighbors" interpolation. Canon's sensors don't do that. Yet.

There are other ways to approach the problem, but the most obvious place to solve this is on the sensor itself.

This is just an educated guess, but I bet a more programmable sensor is in the future for Canon.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
This is all interesting. Thom Hogan states that the crop leads to BETTER quality in video, not worse, because full sensor use results in interpolation with resulting smear and artifacts. The negative is the loss of angle, requiring a wider lens.

Yes, I have read other articles that also point this out.

As usual, all the internet nobodies that cry and whine when crop video is mentioned are just Canon bashers and can be ignored.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Yeah, I wonder about the patent maneuvering from time-to-time. It's hard to know what is being withheld for technological, financial, or legal reasons.

While no doubt some of the reasons that certain features are withheld or downgraded are product segmentation, only ignorant reviewers and forum dwellers automatically believe it is all because Canon is BAD and wants to screw the consumer. It has been brought up numerous times that perhaps Canon's dual pixel architecture is one of the problems in processing speed. So their can indeed be technical issues that they have not yet overcome. Patents play a big part. Just cause Sony does it, doesn't mean that Canon can do it. Not sure why people can't get that. Overheating issues also get scorned by the internet crowd. Perhaps that is one of the issues why their is no Canon IBIS yet. Maybe Sony can do it because they also have the worst weather sealing in the business. Maybe better weather sealing doesn't allow for heat dissipation? Maybe there is a trade-off there (just guessing). If so, what would you rather have, top notch weather sealing with no IBIS, or IBIS with awful weather sealing?

Upvote 0
While no doubt some of the reasons that certain features are withheld or downgraded are product segmentation, only ignorant reviewers and forum dwellers automatically believe it is all because Canon is BAD and wants to screw the consumer. It has been brought up numerous times that perhaps Canon's dual pixel architecture is one of the problems in processing speed. So their can indeed be technical issues that they have not yet overcome. Patents play a big part. Just cause Sony does it, doesn't mean that Canon can do it. Not sure why people can't get that. Overheating issues also get scorned by the internet crowd. Perhaps that is one of the issues why their is no Canon IBIS yet. Maybe Sony can do it because they also have the worst weather sealing in the business. Maybe better weather sealing doesn't allow for heat dissipation? Maybe there is a trade-off there (just guessing). If so, what would you rather have, top notch weather sealing with no IBIS, or IBIS with awful weather sealing?
On the topic of heat dissipation, I borrowed my cousin's A7R II to do a 4K shoot, and I wasn't impressed with how hot the body got. Also it ate battery life like crazy. So maybe there is something to what Canon is saying. I wonder how the Z6/Z7 fares temperature wise in full frame 4K.

Upvote 0
This is all interesting. Thom Hogan states that the crop leads to BETTER quality in video, not worse, because full sensor use results in interpolation with resulting smear and artifacts. The negative is the loss of angle, requiring a wider lens.
Sony A7sII reads every pixel in FF and downsizes ... much better than crop

Upvote 0
I think it is more than just segmentation. I firmly believe it's technical.

In the a7riii Sony is able to apply interpolation to the entire sensor readout of 7952 x 5304 to produce a video frame of 3,840 x 2,160, and do it fast enough to keep high data stream rates. Canon simply can't do that yet. They crop out of the middle of the high-resolution photocentric sensor to get the precise resolution needed for 4K rather than attempting to downsample in real time. Why? Because it's a CPU intensive process and they can't maintain the data stream rate required for video.

I'm fairly certain that Sony's big breakthrough was parallelizing this process on the sensor itself. It's the most logical place to do it, as so much of the sensor handling is inherently parallelized to the pixel. Think of how nVidia does similar processing with vertex shaders and pixel shaders on the GPU. One or two clock cycles and you have an interpolated frame output, vs iterating over each "effective" pixel on an external processor that has to iterate over every pixel and perform "nearest neighbors" interpolation. Canon's sensors don't do that. Yet.

There are other ways to approach the problem, but the most obvious place to solve this is on the sensor itself.

This is just an educated guess, but I bet a more programmable sensor is in the future for Canon.

Doesn't a dedicated piece of silicon process raw information it gets from the sensors? And if so, maybe Sony is better able to design that chip (dedicated registers, etc) to process video, and get patents on what they design. Canon doesn't have the silicon flexibilty that Sony apparently has (being such experts in the whole silicon process).

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
As I always said: "EF lenses are legacy in relation to Canon R. They will perform *within their mount- and communications-related limits*.

Some folks here did not (want to) believe it. So, here's one prof. Other EF limitations will surface in due course.

Since EF-mount lenses used via the adapter are so much further from the sensor surface, it seems likely that they wouldn’t be able to support as large an AF area as native RF-mount ones. I asked, and it turns out this is true. It will vary some based on the specific lens design, but some EF-mount lenses won’t have quite as wide AF coverage as the native ones. Native RF-mount coverage is 100% vertically and 88% horizontally, but some EF-mount lenses will only have 80% horizontal coverage

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
Full frame video is and remains problematic in any foto-cam. While good downsampling improves rather than deteriorates IQ, it is computationally expensive. Hence several photo-centric cams use line-skipping, which enhances iq issues, especially in sensors without low pass filter. To my knowledge, this is why videographers often prefer the crop image.

The fundamental issue is that a camera needs to read a 6k-8k image and process it for proper downsampling. This is still teritory of cams with dedicated sensor or 6k-8k video cams costing $30k+ (with active cooling)

Upvote 0

6degrees

RF 85mm F1.2
Sep 6, 2018
Wow, this is like a bombshell.
I think neither Sony nor Nikon want their customers to read this: https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2018/09/15/canon-eos-r-qa-with-the-canon-engineers, especially Sony. The consequenc of this can last 30 years long.
- This may impact DSLR/EF lenses sales if customers read this. DSLR/EF look obsolete to me.
- It implies that RF lenses will be much better than EF lenses. It is really bad news for the EF lenses providers, which are still developing EF lenses and more to come.
- This seems to imply that Canon EF-to-RF/ND filter adpater + Zeiss Milvus 1.4/25 may not be a smart purchase. Better wait for RF wide angle lenses?
- If Canon can develop RF 100-200 F2 or RF 135-200 F2 with similar image quality to Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM, and if Zeiss will develop RF native wide angle lenses with manual focus only, like 1.4/20 or 1.4/25, it will be perfect.
- Another issue, left untouched, is about adapting Leica M-lenses to Canon RF. Will that present similar issue that Sony E Mount has due to the sensor glass thickness?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I don't think that's entirely accurate nor is the interviewer entirely incorrect. I beleive the C700FF reads 6K from the entire sensor. 4K is a crop to a size similar to Super 35 as stated in the interview. In each case Canon is reading the sensor at 1:1 and it's a much lower resolution sensor than the one in the Canon R.

If Canon has demonstrated that they can read an entire high resolution sensor and downsample to 4K in camera I haven't seen it. I think we can assume that it is a technical challenge they are working on vigorously.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Regarding "(and in steps of just 1/8 EV, vs. the 1/3 EV of EF-series optics)" mentioned in the article. The writer is not familiar with the Technical Back E which worked with Canon EOS 620, 600(630 and RT.

With its help autobracking could be done and the step was selectable starting from 1/4 of a stop! YES 1/4 of a stop (Referred in the manual as 0.25) from the late 80s! So all EF lenses already supported that.

Attachments

• tech-back-e-bracketing.jpg
    tech-back-e-bracketing.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 394
Upvote 0
I don't think that's entirely accurate nor is the interviewer entirely incorrect. I beleive the C700FF reads 6K from the entire sensor. 4K is a crop to a size similar to Super 35 as stated in the interview. In each case Canon is reading the sensor at 1:1 and it's a much lower resolution sensor than the one in the Canon R.

If Canon has demonstrated that they can read an entire high resolution sensor and downsample to 4K in camera I haven't seen it. I think we can assume that it is a technical challenge they are working on vigorously.

Actually C700 FF reads full sensor for 4k. This is from their marketing material:

"Capable of ProRes and XF-AVC internal recording up to 4K to CFast™ cards, the camera can also record 5.9K RAW up to 60 frames per second with the optional Codex CDX-36150 Recorder. The camera uses the full 5.9K of the sensor to create oversampled 4K, resulting in improved video quality. "

Upvote 0