Introducing Loupedeck+, the Next Evolution of Custom Photo Editing Console, Loupedeck

Mar 25, 2011
kaptainkatsu said:
Just ordered one. I always hated using the mouse to move the sliders. Hopefully this will make it a lot easier
We'll compare notes! I'm prepared to send it back if I can't use it. Tip - you can increase the length of the sliders by enlarging the side panel. That gives finer control at the expense of a smaller photo size, unless you are using dual monitors.

Upvote 0
I think it's a cool device and all, but it would severely slow me down having to move my hands from knob to knob. I use a programmable keyboard, currently a Logitech G13, and a Shuttle Pro V2. The G13 is programmed to move the mouse cursor above each of my sliders in Lightroom and the shuttle increments them quickly. Lots of other buttons programmed to do things quickly. For the bulk of my editing I don't have to touch my main keyboard or trackpad.

Upvote 0

Dec 18, 2014
chrisdeckard said:
I think it's a cool device and all, but it would severely slow me down having to move my hands from knob to knob. I use a programmable keyboard, currently a Logitech G13, and a Shuttle Pro V2. The G13 is programmed to move the mouse cursor above each of my sliders in Lightroom and the shuttle increments them quickly. Lots of other buttons programmed to do things quickly. For the bulk of my editing I don't have to touch my main keyboard or trackpad.

I found that in many editors like Photoshop and Capture One clicking the value window above the sliders often allows you to move them with the mouse scrolling wheel and that hitting the tab key moves you to the next one. I have thus programed the middle mouse key hidden under the scrolling wheel to emulate the tab key.

I use USB Overdrive, $20 for that:

http://www.usboverdrive.com/USBOverdrive/Devices.html

USB_Overdrive302.jpg

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
What I really want is a way to reorganize the Lightroom panels on the right. I'd like to detach them all, and have them as floating panels that I can rearrange, roll up, snap or close, including on other screens -- the way that you can on Photoshop.

I really dislike the way they are locked to the right, and, that an accidental click collapses the panel, especially since that is right by the scroll bar.

Upvote 0

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
I don't know if anyone is going to read this. I mostly just browse the news and skim the forums only every once in a while, and it's been a few weeks since the article posted but...

I use the Icon Platform-M (which has been replaced by https://www.amazon.com/Icon-Pro-Audio-ICOC-PLATFORMMM-Platform/dp/B071XHN18K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530831849&sr=8-1&keywords=icon+platform+m&dpID=41aQfL%252BBZEL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch). That should address anyone's issues with build quaility that people had against the Behringer midi controllers. I paid for the LrControl software, but midi2lr will work just as well with it.

The thing is solid, and has mechanical faders that automatically adjust as you move from image to image (The reason why I never got the Palette Gear stuff was because of the lack of this feature). There are more buttons, faders, and dials than there are functions in Lightroom to program. Overall it's more customizable and functional than even the Loupedeck+ for the same ballpark price.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
PhotoGenerous said:
I don't know if anyone is going to read this. I mostly just browse the news and skim the forums only every once in a while, and it's been a few weeks since the article posted but...

I use the Icon Platform-M (which has been replaced by https://www.amazon.com/Icon-Pro-Audio-ICOC-Overall it's more customizable and functional than even the Loupedeck+ for the same ballpark price.
Thanks for the reminder about this deck, I had looked at it whan the original Loupedeck came out, and had forgotton it. does sound nice, I like the automatic faders, but $350 plus software is about twice the price of the Loupedeck+.

The functions are pretty similar to those with the loupedeck+.
My reason for getting the Loupedeck+ was to see if I could relieve some of the pain in my hands due to pinched nerves. While the deck definitely seems to help, it does only a small part of the total job, which has me wondering if its worth having a big console that is in the way when I have to revert to using mouse and keyboard for many things. I am trying to find time to go thru my entire workflow while chipping away at some 3500 images that need culled and then edited. Then I will try printing some using the console.
While the Loupedeck does not have automatic faders, the placement of the dials is a big factor in reducing strain on my old hands, and the feel of the dials is great. The cropping control is not sensitive enough for me, if I'm doing a severe crop, it takes many turns of the dial, and they are CCW which seems unnatural to me.
In the end, the deciding factor would be how much it replaces use of my mouse over the entire import to publish and print process. So far, it looks like it only replaces a small portion of the work. Some of the key functions like cropping are difficult and slow. The sensitivity of the knows can't be changed.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
The Loupdeck seems like an answer to a question that few people have asked. A bit clumsy and certainly oversized, tied to Lr and expensive.

A solution that I’ve found to be just awesome is this gaming keypad from Razer:
https://www.razer.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-tartarus-v2

All the buttons are fully customizable with your personal keyboard shortcuts or macros. It’s program aware so you can design your custom shortcuts/macros for any program on your computer. This sits comfortably under my left hand and I’ll typically have a Wacom Intuos Pro pen in my right hand. Once you get your head around it, it’s a workflow supercharger. If you’re a keyboard shortcuts fiend, then this is definitely for you. And it’s cheap! Razer products tend to be extremely robust and long lasting.

An additional benefit is Razer’s cloud, Synapse3. All your carefully considered shortcuts can be saved, and even downloaded to another computer you may want to work on. It just works. If the promotional Razer material looks a bit dazzling and blingy, you can turn off all the nasty teenage lights in preferences.

I’d be lost without this simple, cheap and totally customizable tool. I’d advise against the other Razer controller/keypads, this is the only one with a scroll wheel which is also customizable. In PS it controls brush size for me.

-pw

Upvote 0
pwp said:
The Loupdeck seems like an answer to a question that few people have asked. A bit clumsy and certainly oversized, tied to Lr and expensive.

A solution that I’ve found to be just awesome is this gaming keypad from Razer:
https://www.razer.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-tartarus-v2
Can you share a little more on the functions you can control using the buttons / especially if it allows you not to fiddle with the scroll bars with the mouse and if it has any functions related to cropping and levelling.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
PhotoGenerous said:

I use the Icon Platform-M (which has been replaced by https://www.amazon.com/Icon-Pro-Audio-ICOC-PLATFORMMM-Platform/dp/B071XHN18K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530831849&sr=8-1&keywords=icon+platform+m&dpID=41aQfL%252BBZEL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch). That should address anyone's issues with build quaility that people had against the Behringer midi controllers. I paid for the LrControl software, but midi2lr will work just as well with it.

The thing is solid, and has mechanical faders that automatically adjust as you move from image to image (The reason why I never got the Palette Gear stuff was because of the lack of this feature). There are more buttons, faders, and dials than there are functions in Lightroom to program. Overall it's more customizable and functional than even the Loupedeck+ for the same ballpark price.

This looks interesting to me as do the other options, BUT...trying to find a way to use/map them to use with programs OTHER than LR or PS.....

I'm breaking away, right now enjoying On1 RAW as a LR replacement, but I'd still like to have the option for a controller board with knobs to be more precise on the sliders on the program.

I'm hoping to find a method to map, that is program agnostic, that allows the user to map to basically "any" program.

I'd also like to use it for Davinci Resolve.....

Is there any way to get a board that is more program agnostic?

C

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
cayenne said:
I'm breaking away, right now enjoying On1 RAW as a LR replacement, but I'd still like to have the option for a controller board with knobs to be more precise on the sliders on the program.

I'm hoping to find a method to map, that is program agnostic, that allows the user to map to basically "any" program.

C
Thats a tough one, the software has to send the specific commands to the software to say move a control or slider, be tweaked to get the correct rate so its not too fast or two slow, this usually means working with the software maker to get hooks into their software, and revising the console software every time the photo edit software changes something that affects the control deck. Thats time consuming and expensive. Even if you wrote the software yourself, you might still need cooperation from the edit software, and need to keep reviewing updates.
I'd expect that lots of decks support Divinci Resolve, its just that mere mortals can't afford them.

A low cost $1K "Micro" Version

https://www.adorama.com/bmdvrebpnlic.html

The reduced cost $3K "Mini Deck"

https://www.adorama.com/bmdvbpnlmini.html

The "Full Monty" $30K Version
https://www.adorama.com/bmdvresolv.html

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Mt Spokane Photography said:
cayenne said:

C
Thats a tough one, the software has to send the specific commands to the software to say move a control or slider, be tweaked to get the correct rate so its not too fast or two slow, this usually means working with the software maker to get hooks into their software, and revising the console software every time the photo edit software changes something that affects the control deck. Thats time consuming and expensive. Even if you wrote the software yourself, you might still need cooperation from the edit software, and need to keep reviewing updates.
I'd expect that lots of decks support Divinci Resolve, its just that mere mortals can't afford them.

A low cost $1K "Micro" Version

https://www.adorama.com/bmdvrebpnlic.html

The reduced cost $3K "Mini Deck"

https://www.adorama.com/bmdvbpnlmini.html

The "Full Monty" $30K Version
https://www.adorama.com/bmdvresolv.html

I was afraid of that....

I don't know much about MIDI, but was under the impression that was something fairly generic, and could be mapped to about anything, but like you said the trick i knowing what each thing/event is so you can map it.....

Hmm....well, I'm researching, but if anyone has input of leads/links, please post them!!
:)

cayenne

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
cayenne said:
PhotoGenerous said:

This looks interesting to me as do the other options, BUT...trying to find a way to use/map them to use with programs OTHER than LR or PS.....

C

Hi cayenne- I'm using On1 too. I believe that it renders Raw much better than LR. Do you see this too, or am I imagining things?

Scott

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
I've looked at the Midi solutions, and the issues with them, so I finally bit the bullet and ordered the Loupedeck+. I have issues using my fingers to control fine movements of my mouse, so I intend to see how well it works. It is definitely a low cost solution to a editing deck, for video, you can spend a lot more.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1394885-REG/slate_digital_sym_ravcore_dd_raven_mti_core_station.html

How is it working for you?

Scott

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
scottkinfw said:
How is it working for you?

Scott
I haven't used it for a week, I have some outdoor building projects that have a high priority right now.
The Deck works fine, but it only works for the editing portion of a workflow, not so much for importing, it is of some use in culling images but misses some steps in my workflow so I have to alternate between loupedeck and keyboard / mouse to do imports.
I've identified one possible missing command that I use during editing, I may have to ask Loupedeck.

Upvote 0
After I found out about MIDI2LR, I ordered the $50 Behringer Midi device. It works quite well, but there are just not enough dials or push buttons, even with an "A & B Layer" meaning there is an 8 dial A layer and 8 dial B layer. The Loupedeck is not inexpensive, but I think if you do a lot of LR work, it will be worth it in time savings. If there was a Behringer type device with maybe 3 rows of 9 dials with maybe three rows of push buttons, that would do the trick.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
kaptainkatsu said:
Just ordered one. I always hated using the mouse to move the sliders. Hopefully this will make it a lot easier
We'll compare notes! I'm prepared to send it back if I can't use it. Tip - you can increase the length of the sliders by enlarging the side panel. That gives finer control at the expense of a smaller photo size, unless you are using dual monitors.
I returned my Loupedeck+, it worked OK, but my primary desire was for a way to avoid using my mouse, due to Carpal tunnel. I found that the Loupedeck could only be used for a small portion of the tasks involved in editing photos, and was missing some lightroom commands entirely that I often use. The crop feature was particularly useless and I had to resort to using mouse and keyboard, which was impeded by the loupedeck. I found it to be a bother most of the time.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I can agree with Mt Spokane that cropping doesn't really work well with it.
For everything else in Lightroom I've found it very good and very usable. I would have had sharpness as a default switch (it is by default set to one of the controls but not named as such). I've been quite impressed by it.
Since launch they've extended it to use it with Photoshop / Elements and other software. This might be good marketing , extending its use but honestly I think its really for Lightroom only. Everything else is too complicated.
You can't throw away the mouse but Loupedeck makes alot of tasks quicker (like exporting) and cuts down on keyboard shortcuts.
I really like it. I'd give it a 9/10 - it exceeded my expectations.

Upvote 0