Introducing the Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II

Renato

Bird Guide in Ecuador
Feb 16, 2012
chhaprahiya said:
Where did you buy this lens and how much did it cost? Neither Adorama nor B&H have it in stock. Amazon has 1 in stock selling for $300 over list.
I got mine form Camera Canada- Excellent service and cheaper price due to currency conversion!
http://www.cameracanada.com/enet-cart/product.asp?pid=9524B002
Call them and check if it is in stock, tell them Renato sent you.

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
It is a wonderful lens. Though vignetting is more present than the 70-300L but not so much to worry about. I also noticed that the IS is more noisy than with the 70-300L. Did anyone (who owned the 70-300L) noticed that as well? Or is that my copy of the 100-400L II? Is that something to worry about? :-\

Upvote 0
Renato said:
chhaprahiya said:
Where did you buy this lens and how much did it cost? Neither Adorama nor B&H have it in stock. Amazon has 1 in stock selling for $300 over list.
I got mine form Camera Canada- Excellent service and cheaper price due to currency conversion!

Thanks! I ordered their last but one stock unit today. Eagerly awaiting shipment.

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
chhaprahiya said:
Renato said:
chhaprahiya said:

Thanks! I ordered their last but one stock unit today. Eagerly awaiting shipment.
Got mine from there too.
I like their service. They let me know couple of days before they shipped.
It is worth the waiting. The lens is amazing.

Upvote 0
Re: Introducing the Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II

Steve Balcombe said:
These things are relative - my 300/4L IS takes sharp shots, but my 70-300L is sharper.

I noticed the same thing, but should add that the "300mm" on the 70-300L looks noticeably shorter than the prime.

I'm wondering if anyone has compared the "400mm" on the 100-400 (new or old version) to the 400m f/5.6 prime.

Upvote 0
chhaprahiya said:
Renato said:
chhaprahiya said:

Camera Canada price was $2049 US$ incl shipping to US. They may be sold out; call and ask. Vistek stores in Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton had stock, but only Toronto office can ship -- didn't sound too experienced with US orders. No US vendor has it in stock.

Upvote 0
I bought the lens about a month ago, but because of the dark Norwegian winter I haven't used it much yet. But my first experiences are very positive: the lens is very sharp! Much sharper than the new Nikon AF-S 80-400/4,5-5,6 VR which is very soft between 300 and 400mm. In my opinion it can compete with the 70-200/2,8L IS II in terms of sharpness and contrast. And the big surprise for me is the IS which is far better than with the mk.I. Very effective! :)
This lens is slowly becoming my favourite tele lens and have reduced the 70-200/2,8L IS II to be used only for portraits. My old favourite may be sold...

Upvote 0
curby said:
Thanks for posting your impressions! I'm hoping it can replace my 70-200/4, but I'm a little surprised that you think it might replace your 2.8. Do you not miss the extra light of the 2.8, or is the weight and size savings just worth more to you than that stop and a half or so?

For portraits, sport and pictures of people/children f2,8 is important, for pictures like this the 70-200/2,8L IS II is superior, but my primary use now is landscape photography. My "high season" is in April - July. I will decide when I have compared the lenses then. I take a lot of pictures against the sun of details in the nature. Lens flare is then critical. The 70-200 is very good in this respect. We have to see... :)

Upvote 0
Just a question. I have the mkll and only one issue. I loosen the ring for focus, and still it seems hard to zoom. does anyone have this issue? I'm seriously thinking of sending back to canon to check out. thanks...........

oops, my bad.. I meant the zoom ring is stiff even when the adjuster is on the loose end.. again sorry.. I think I will send back to canon after a call..

Upvote 0
valkerie said:
Just a question. I have the mkll and only one issue. I loosen the ring for focus, and still it seems hard to zoom. does anyone have this issue? I'm seriously thinking of sending back to canon to check out. thanks...........

I'm not quite sure I understand. The lens has a ring that adjusts the zoom tension, but that has nothing to do with focus. Anyway, I find that zooming is very easy at the lowest tension setting (I usually keep the tension at about the midway setting just so that it "feels right"/doesn't creep).

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 20471

The best review of the 100-400/4.5-5.6L IS II, http://www.objektivtest.se/tester/canon-ef-100-400-mm-f45-56-l-is-ii-usm-test/ (Swedish) or with Google translate, https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.objektivtest.se%2Ftester%2Fcanon-ef-100-400-mm-f45-56-l-is-ii-usm-test%2F&edit-text=&act=url

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Well lets re-awaken this thread!

Used in March the MK1 version extensively in South Africa at a game reserve it was on the 5DS 90% of the time. Images back in the UK looked pretty good except corner fall -off at 400mm where the lens was used 60% of the time. The trombone effect did pull some dust into the camera & onto the ground glass which was annoying as lens changes only occurred in my hotel room.

However the versitility of this lens convinced me that this would be ideal for getting shots of local deer & sea birds at our second home. A month after getting the lens which mechanically is different from the MK1 as your all aware I can say I really enjoy using it. The IQ into the corners is definately an improvement over the MK1 lens at 400mm and the IS is much improved allowing lower shutter speeds than the MK1. Overall Im pleased with this lens it really is a jack of all trades and is good for landscape as well as wildlife. Build quality is first rate and I think an improvement over the MK1 justifying the increase in price over the older lens.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I received my 100-400 II yesterday and had a few moments free to try it out to make sure it got here OK. I shot handheld with all settings on auto. I shot birds at the feeders next door and the remaining blooms on the dogwoods in the woods behind the house. I was standing on my deck, which is about 20 feet off the ground at the edge. I used image stabilization mode 1 and all camera settings on automatic, shooting RAW on a 6D2.

It is my first L series lens. It is also the biggest and heaviest and most expensive lens I own. From these quick shots, I've decided it is definitely worth the price, and I'm glad I chose this particular lens for my current purchase. The IS does an amazing job.

Here are a few 100% crops for you pixel peepers. The software of this board shows them enlarged a bit, so they appear noisier than in reality. Birds were shot at f/5.6 1/320 sec. I did the dogwoods in AV mode at f/16, so the camera used 1/400 and raised the ISO a bit.

bandw.jpg

femalecardinal.jpg

dog4.jpg

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
stevelee said:
I received my 100-400 II yesterday and had a few moments free to try it out to make sure it got here OK. I shot handheld with all settings on auto. I shot birds at the feeders next door and the remaining blooms on the dogwoods in the woods behind the house. I was standing on my deck, which is about 20 feet off the ground at the edge. I used image stabilization mode 1 and all camera settings on automatic, shooting RAW on a 6D2.

It is my first L series lens. It is also the biggest and heaviest and most expensive lens I own. From these quick shots, I've decided it is definitely worth the price, and I'm glad I chose this particular lens for my current purchase. The IS does an amazing job.

Here are a few 100% crops for you pixel peepers. The software of this board shows them enlarged a bit, so they appear noisier than in reality. Birds were shot at f/5.6 1/320 sec. I did the dogwoods in AV mode at f/16, so the camera used 1/400 and raised the ISO a bit.

bandw.jpg

femalecardinal.jpg

dog4.jpg

Congratulations on the lens! The "L" virus grows and you'll find it spreading, especially if you are shooting full frame. That is my experience. Full frame and "L" together makes the angels sing.

Upvote 0