Ireland - along the Wild Atlantic Way - Part 1

Hi everyone!

I've just returned from an amazing trip through Ireland that lead me from County Mayo in the north all the way to County Cork in the south of the Island. I tried to get my very own viewpoint on the various landscapes along the Wild Atlantic Way - one of the most beautiful coastal roads in the world.

I've created an article about my experiences here: http://www.focrates.com/articles/ireland_2017/ireland_2017_part1.html

Additionally to some impressions from Ireland this article series also includes some background information on how the images came to be. These shall give you some tutorial-like hints on what settings and gear to use for similar situations to improve your own photography.

I'm always happy to receive comments and feedback to my pictures!
BR,
Ben

Jul 28, 2015
Re: Ireland - along the Wild Atlantic Way

Some nice images there, Cervantes and useful tips showing the thought processes behind them. That is a route that I have often thought of trying but never got round to and these photos make me think I really should.

In many of the landscapes, colours are a little too saturated for my taste but that is personal and does not distract from the quality of the images themselves.

At the top of your article you say "My standards of what constitutes a good image have certainly increased and I'd like to believe that the quality of the images has too." and I can empathise with that, just as I can with your next comment :
Additionally I often forgo taking a picture in the first place when I see that the circumstances are not great and the result won't be either. That has the disadvantage that there are now way fewer images to choose from for my articles and it has become harder for me to tell a continuous story about the trip.
"

I have learned the hard way that photos are (for me) about memories and I take the photo first then worry about quality. And when looking at photo essays and video presentations, I realise that taking the odd 'sub-standard' image is acceptable if it fills that gap.

Upvote 0
Re: Ireland - along the Wild Atlantic Way

Mikehit said:
Some nice images there, Cervantes and useful tips showing the thought processes behind them. That is a route that I have often thought of trying but never got round to and these photos make me think I really should.

In many of the landscapes, colours are a little too saturated for my taste but that is personal and does not distract from the quality of the images themselves.

At the top of your article you say "My standards of what constitutes a good image have certainly increased and I'd like to believe that the quality of the images has too." and I can empathise with that, just as I can with your next comment :
Additionally I often forgo taking a picture in the first place when I see that the circumstances are not great and the result won't be either. That has the disadvantage that there are now way fewer images to choose from for my articles and it has become harder for me to tell a continuous story about the trip.
"

I have learned the hard way that photos are (for me) about memories and I take the photo first then worry about quality. And when looking at photo essays and video presentations, I realise that taking the odd 'sub-standard' image is acceptable if it fills that gap.

Thanks for your comment!

1. Yes you should consider that route! Plan enough time too since the weather can potentially stall you several days in a row.
2. I'm still figuring out the trade-off between photo quality and storytelling. One one hand I only want to keep the best images but on the other hand that leaves gaps with many experiences and places without a photo to show for.

Upvote 0
MrFotoFool said:
I have enjoyed your other travel photo essays and I also enjoyed this one. I skipped over the photo tips and in my opinion they are more distracting than helpful. However beginners may get something out of them so feel free to ignore my opinion.

Thank you!

Some people fell like the tips add something to the article, others don't. I marked them so they can be easily ignored if you don't need/want them.

Upvote 0