is a 600rt with a $50 upgrade from the 580 exii?

Jul 21, 2010
I'd say it's worth $50 to go from a 580EX II to a 600EX-RT. The Canon RT system is easy to use, and most importantly, it's reliable. If you shoot with the flash on-camera with a longer lens, the head zoom of 200mm vs. 105mm is a nice feature. Also, if you change settings on the flash, the display on the 600 is much nicer than the 580.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
I'd say it's worth $50 to go from a 580EX II to a 600EX-RT. The Canon RT system is easy to use, and most importantly, it's reliable. If you shoot with the flash on-camera with a longer lens, the head zoom of 200mm vs. 105mm is a nice feature. Also, if you change settings on the flash, the display on the 600 is much nicer than the 580.

I remember when I labored over buying a 50 mm f1.8 for $75. Now I'm upgrading for functions I won't initially use. So weird.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
jdramirez said:
neuroanatomist said:

I remember when I labored over buying a 50 mm f1.8 for $75. Now I'm upgrading for functions I won't initially use. So weird.

I hate to lose sleep over penny. Your decision of getting 85L II been years. As I recalled correctly, we had this conversation way before my 85L II purchase.

I already have ton of photos from 85L II :p Get it JD ;)

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2013
jdramirez said:
I have two 580s ad's I'm quite fond of them... And I have an opportunity to upgrade one of them for $50. It seems like a no brainer... would y'all agree...

Im using yongnuos at the moment to control my off camera flash... So only one 600 won't change that, but I suppose I may upgrade the other 580 eventually as well... thoughts?

Buy two 600s and sell your yongnuos if you can to fund the purchase. Then you won't wonder why you have one 600 whose rt function isn't of value until you buy another. As previously mentioned though, should you only get the one, you will find other benefits other than the rt function that can justify it. And as you say, you may buy another in the future and you'll be set.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Dylan777 said:
jdramirez said:
neuroanatomist said:

I hate to lose sleep over penny. Your decision of getting 85L II been years. As I recalled correctly, we had this conversation way before my 85L II purchase.

I already have ton of photos from 85L II :p Get it JD ;)

I do remember that conversation. $1500 ish from Craig's list. It wasn't in my to buy list aft the time, but it found its way on.

I'm getting one... It might be a bit more than I was hoping for, but still well less than retail.

As for pennies, if you mind them, they turn into dollars.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Joe M said:
jdramirez said:
I have two 580s ad's I'm quite fond of them... And I have an opportunity to upgrade one of them for $50. It seems like a no brainer... would y'all agree...

Im using yongnuos at the moment to control my off camera flash... So only one 600 won't change that, but I suppose I may upgrade the other 580 eventually as well... thoughts?

Buy two 600s and sell your yongnuos if you can to fund the purchase. Then you won't wonder why you have one 600 whose rt function isn't of value until you buy another. As previously mentioned though, should you only get the one, you will find other benefits other than the rt function that can justify it. And as you say, you may buy another in the future and you'll be set.

I upgrade at a glacial pace. And even that feels too fast for me. I'm going to get the flash, but getting it past the wife will be a challenge.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2013
jdramirez said:
Joe M said:
jdramirez said:

I upgrade at a glacial pace. And even that feels too fast for me. I'm going to get the flash, but getting it past the wife will be a challenge.

There's nothing wrong with upgrading at the pace you're comfortable with. You know best what you really need and when. I hope you'll enjoy the added benefits of the newer flash and good luck.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
sagittariansrock said:
Just $ 50 for an upgrade to the 600? Wow!
I'm sure a lot of people will jump at the opportunity.
Whether you should, of course, depends on your flash usage.
Until I get my hands on my 2nd 600 (it is on its way) I am still using the YN-622c- so it is really not much different from a 580.

There are certain assumptions being made, like I can sell the 580 for $325... but I think that is a fair price for a really good condition flash.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Just to put a bow on the end of the story... I was able to sell my 580 exii for $322.70 (net after commission). My final cost on the 600 rt is $377.98... making my total upgrade cost $55.29.

So if I hate the 600... I'm coming lookin' for ya'll!!! >-|

I think I need a better flash diffuser... or a better assistant. My flashbender had some harsh t-zones in some of the photos I took today...

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
jdramirez said:
Just to put a bow on the end of the story... I was able to sell my 580 exii for $322.70 (net after commission). My final cost on the 600 rt is $377.98... making my total upgrade cost $55.29.

I think I need a better flash diffuser... or a better assistant. My flashbender had some harsh t-zones in some of the photos I took today...

Canon flashes hold their value very well, unlike third party flashes. I just sold the last of my 15+ year old 550EX's and got over $170 for them, each, I only paid $299 for them brand new! That works out to less than $10 a year depreciation.

Post the transition problem, I don't have an issue with the Rouge, but I'd like to see what you are talking about as I haven't really analysed it.

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:

Congrats! You're halfway towards getting the TWO 600s, only after which the upgrade will be worthwhile ;)
One more good idea to make you spend another $ 20- get the diffusion panel for the Rogue (actually, it is not such a bad idea- I am probably going to get it myself).

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
sagittariansrock said:
jdramirez said:

Congrats! You're halfway towards getting the TWO 600s, only after which the upgrade will be worthwhile ;)
One more good idea to make you spend another $ 20- get the diffusion panel for the Rogue (actually, it is not such a bad idea- I am probably going to get it myself).

I was thinking about it... and I would have liked to have used a translucent white umbrella... but...

It is really quite unwieldy. I really like the soft light, but having to navigate through a crowd with an open umbrella is a good way for me to never get another assistant again.

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
I was thinking about it... and I would have liked to have used a translucent white umbrella... but...

It is really quite unwieldy. I really like the soft light, but having to navigate through a crowd with an open umbrella is a good way for me to never get another assistant again.

You should try holding it up vertically. The Brits do it all the time...

privatebydesign said:
I am not convinced with the Rouge "softbox" panel, I seem to like the light and controlability from the naked Flashbender over the not really a softbox softbox.

Sorry, I had tried to refrain so far. Rogue. [ironic I highlighted Rouge in red, hunh?]

Upvote 0