Is a brand new 32.5mp APS-C sensor from Canon on the way? [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
There has been a flurry of sensor talk over the last few weeks, though we haven’t posted much about it because most of it cannot be confirmed with any sort of certainty.
We’re now told that a brand new 32.5mp APS-C sensor is slated to arrive in an EOS M camera as well as in a DSLR sometime in 2019. This comes shortly after being told that an all-new 24mp APS-C sensor was on the way.
The source claims they’re “100% certain” that this sensor is coming in 2019.
I cannot confirm this information, so please take it with a grain of salt. It is rated [CR1].

Continue reading...

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Seems pretty legit to me. Looks like the sensor that was registered along with the RP and it makes a ton of sense.

Scaled up to full frame, this yields a 83 MP sensor. Which may well be what the 70+ sensor for the high res R camera is going to be.

And this 32 MP sensor is for the M5 and 80D/7D replacements. I personally find that much more interesting than all the R and RP related topics. I mean, would Canon really push resolution this aggressively, seeing as they already struggle so much with sensor speed? Looks to me like a sign that they are changing something about that issue and want to exploit it by going all out on resolution.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The existing sensor is plenty of MP, but many if not most buyers of entry level cameras still think that the number of photosites is the key thing to consider in selecting a camera.

Camera sellers usually know what the competition is doing, so look for similar high resolution sensors in Sony and Nikon. bodies this year.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

I so hope this is for the M5 coming. Add IBIS and I will have my M5 I have been looking to get so I can use my FD and older Canon lenses. Many are beautifully compact and the excellent FD/FL 100-200mm f5.6 would look (and work) great on the M5.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The existing sensor is plenty of MP, but many if not most buyers of entry level cameras
The M5 was and is clearly intended as the mirrorless sibling of the 80D and actually represented the first but quiet transition of merging the 7Dx line and x0D line, that Canon has recently opened up to. Look at the specs of the 80D and M5 and it is quite clear just from specs that in a number of ways the M5 exceeded the 80D (e.g. 50% higher display resolution) for as little it conceded to the 80D (Canon could not completely cut the legs out from the 80D). Assuming Canon is moving forward with the merging of the 7Dx line and x0D line, then an even higher spec'd M5 II makes sense (along with a bump in price).
TLDR: The M5 is not really meant as an entry level camera, given the M50 and M100. a 32.5 MP would be great even if Canon did not significantly improve the ISO (Canon: you better) from the sheer fact that, like the A7R II/III, you can use that bigger image to downsize back to a 20+ MP image where the noise is reduced by downsampling.

Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Seems pretty legit to me. Looks like the sensor that was registered along with the RP and it makes a ton of sense.

Scaled up to full frame, this yields a 83 MP sensor. Which may well be what the 70+ sensor for the high res R camera is going to be.

And this 32 MP sensor is for the M5 and 80D/7D replacements. I personally find that much more interesting than all the R and RP related topics. I mean, would Canon really push resolution this aggressively, seeing as they already struggle so much with sensor speed? Looks to me like a sign that they are changing something about that issue and want to exploit it by going all out on resolution.

A new sensor platform and new processers will appear -- eventually. Soon, I suspect.

Upvote 0
Thanks, but no thanks.

24Mpx is enough for me. More mpx means storage headaches as I need more hardware to store the images.
I'm all for quality improvements.
If your having storage problems with 24mp crop sensor files you need to upgrade that 1990’s computer hardware your using
1f606.svg

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
Thanks, but no thanks.

24Mpx is enough for me. More mpx means storage headaches as I need more hardware to store the images.
I'm all for quality improvements.

Why not use Canon's excellent compressed raw (cr3's)? They are only 15-19 MB's (on the 30MP EOS R) and as tdp analysis showed, there is very little degradation over uncompressed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
I am a nature & wildlife shooter, so I have a bias. If we are truly getting new sensor technology, here is my wish list:
  • Keep the 24-26 mp range for both the M5 II and x0D
  • Deliver image quality comparable to my 1dxII or 5dIV
  • ISO performance equal to or surpass my 1dxII
  • more dynamic range would be nice
  • Frame rate in the 12 FPS range with an unlimited RAW buffer
  • 100% viewfinder
  • Single slot in the M5II, dual in the x0D.
  • Full sensor width video @4k 60fps, although I am not a video shooter
  • blazingly fast and accurate Eye AF (Human & animal)

I know I am asking more than will ever be delivered, but you can dream. I would love to have this camera in an M5 body so that I could throw it in the bag as a backup for my 1dxII. I would pay comparable prices for a Canon M5 II that meets or exceeds the Fuji X-T3 with my Canon lenses. I like my M5, but it certainly has its issues.

David

• Haha
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
I am a nature & wildlife shooter, so I have a bias. If we are truly getting new sensor technology, here is my wish list:
  • Keep the 24-26 mp range for both the M5 II and x0D
  • Deliver image quality comparable to my 1dxII or 5dIV
  • ISO performance equal to or surpass my 1dxII
  • more dynamic range would be nice
  • Frame rate in the 12 FPS range with an unlimited RAW buffer
  • 100% viewfinder
  • Single slot in the M5II, dual in the x0D.
  • Full sensor width video @4k 60fps, although I am not a video shooter
  • blazingly fast and accurate Eye AF (Human & animal)
I know I am asking more than will ever be delivered, but you can dream. I would love to have this camera in an M5 body so that I could throw it in the bag as a backup for my 1dxII. I would pay comparable prices for a Canon M5 II that meets or exceeds the Fuji X-T3 with my Canon lenses. I like my M5, but it certainly has its issues.

David

"ISO performance equal to or surpass my 1dxII"

This can't and won't happen. Unless they make an 8MP sensor.

What i want is an improved 24-26 MP sensor which produces sharp images. I feel the current 7DII is somewhat soft.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
"ISO performance equal to or surpass my 1dxII"

This can't and won't happen. Unless they make an 8MP sensor.

What i want is an improved 24-26 MP sensor which produces sharp images. I feel the current 7DII is somewhat soft.

I didn't see my 7dII as being soft, but the image degraded as you hit ISO 800 and above. Yes, I know it was not too bad in bright daylight but poor light conditions seriously impacted the image.

Upvote 0