Is an RF 100-500mm lens on the way? [CR2]

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
I'd say after 6 weeks of testing a 400mm f2.8 IS III that the adapter to body connection was a little wobbly. Not enough to harm images, but enough to give a feeling that a true RF build would be worth the wait.

No quarrel with your point, and as I've posted elsewhere, an RF version of the 400 IS III is nothing more than an summer engineering intern modifying the rear housing and using flex circuits an inch longer.
Yes and no. That would be a way to make an RF compatible lens, but a true RF lens would take advantage of the high bandwidth RF connectivity and at a minimum would have a lot of new electronics and probably a different IS motor as well. The RF system was designed to be fully compatible with EF lenses, native RF lenses have more features (some of which we haven't even experienced yet with current bodies).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
Yes and no. That would be a way to make an RF compatible lens, but a true RF lens would take advantage of the high bandwidth RF connectivity and at a minimum would have a lot of new electronics and probably a different IS motor as well. The RF system was designed to be fully compatible with EF lenses, native RF lenses have more features (some of which we haven't even experienced yet with current bodies).

You may well be right, although I have heard that the greater advantages of the large throat diameter of the RF accrue at shorter focal lengths.

It's fair to say that the current big whites perform as well on RF as on EF, and I have a hard time imagining performance improvements (but might hope for some size or weight improvement opportunities). I'd certainly be happy with stretching that one rear housing element even if the optical performance of the 400 IS III remained the same. Find a way to work more miracles and I'm even happier (like comparing the spirit of the RF 70-200 to its EF alternatives).

I'm not an optical designer, but maybe there's a way to have a slide-in TC not requiring an intervening tube with mounts at both ends?

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
You may well be right, although I have heard that the greater advantages of the large throat diameter of the RF accrue at shorter focal lengths.

It's fair to say that the current big whites perform as well on RF as on EF, and I have a hard time imagining performance improvements (but might hope for some size or weight improvement opportunities). I'd certainly be happy with stretching that one rear housing element even if the optical performance of the 400 IS III remained the same. Find a way to work more miracles and I'm even happier (like comparing the spirit of the RF 70-200 to its EF alternatives).

I'm not an optical designer, but maybe there's a way to have a slide-in TC not requiring an intervening tube with mounts at both ends?
The improvement will be in IS because with the high BW interconnect (and probably a different IS control circuit in the lens) the lens IS can work with IBIS to improve stabilization, hence the IS improvement numbers quoted in the rumored spec for the R5. Canon has suggested in the past that this kind of thing will be available only on RF lenses and not on EF lenses, but maybe only a matter of degree of improvement.

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
The improvement will be in IS because with the high BW interconnect (and probably a different IS control circuit in the lens) the lens IS can work with IBIS to improve stabilization, hence the IS improvement numbers quoted in the rumored spec for the R5. Canon has suggested in the past that this kind of thing will be available only on RF lenses and not on EF lenses, but maybe only a matter of degree of improvement.

Good point. Lens IS and IBIS that worked in concert (instead of fighting each other if not coordinated) might be a great idea. But for long lenses, my understanding is that lens IS is much more important and IBIS is inherently challenged to accommodate large image shifts from small angle shifts.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
Good point. Lens IS and IBIS that worked in concert (instead of fighting each other if not coordinated) might be a great idea. But for long lenses, my understanding is that lens IS is much more important and IBIS is inherently challenged to accommodate large image shifts from small angle shifts.
No argument about the advantage of lens IS for large movement with a long lens, but I suspect IBIS may be able to help with refinement, and also may be in a better position to help with shutter shock given its proximity to the shutter. It sounds like we will soon get at least a good idea of what is to come and my bet is that availability will be sooner than July.

Upvote 0
I do because now youve taken the rumored 100-500 which is most likely a answer to Nikons 200-500 5.6, Sigma's 150-600 6.3 and Tamron's 150-600 6.3 and Sony's 200-600 6.3 and youve just removed it and put that lens into a completely other catagory that is thousands of times more expensive and for a much smaller crowd. Yeah there is your problem.

No...it's actually still your problem.

I reject your premise that the 100-500 is a response to a bunch of shitty, super telephotos designed 5 years ago (except for the Sony 200-600).

Because here's the thing. I want Canon to create lens which sets the market. And you want them to make lens that follow the market.

and that...there is your problem.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
I was walking bit and got too much fresh air to my brains :D
Figured what this new lense is.
Its 1:2 focus breath free macro lense .
Designed to cooperate with 30-100fps crop burst .
With 8 stop stabilation and super fast stack burst you can easily focustack handhold with high resolution RS
Thats why m6ii got crop burst and RP got stack ,they testing if those systems works before real launch.

• Haha
Upvote 0
The problem is many of us old timers have scrimped all our life and can just manage to afford a big white but now we can't handle the weight! :cry: :unsure::(

Come on Canon, lets have a miracle lens just for us.:):love::unsure: Oh, and the camera too!:D

Jack

Rest assured, Canon will in all likelihood give you a RF 100-500 f/4.5 - 5.6. It will weigh 2kg so your old timey frame can carry it. ;) It'll cost $2000 so you won't have to dip deep into your saving. ;) IQ will be slightly better then the 100-400 II and people who spend way too much time on forums like this will still find a way to bitch and moan about it not being a big enough evolution. :oops: ;)

100-500 f4 miracle weight 1,5kg and miracle price 15k :p

If you build it, they will come.

Upvote 0
I was walking bit and got too much fresh air to my brains :D
Figured what this new lense is.
Its 1:2 focus breath free macro lense .
Designed to cooperate with 30-100fps crop burst .
With 8 stop stabilation and super fast stack burst you can easily focustack handhold with high resolution RS
Thats why m6ii got crop burst and RP got stack ,they testing if those systems works before real launch.

not exciting enough. Lets just rehash the 100-400 II and give it an extra 100mm on the long end. That'll get the lemmings blood pumping and the cash registers ringing!

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
I want the lens in the 10-15k range. I already said it. Can you cope with that?

you already have a 200-400 available for you with a 1.4x, a 500/4 and 600/4 if your money is burning a whole in your pocket, go buy that.

Canon has NOTHING in the 500mm 5.6 or 6.3 range in either EF or RF, where the competition has plenty to offer. Many are waiting for that lens. More so than you. You cope wit that.

Upvote 0