Is an RF 135mm f/1.4L USM in development? [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
A couple of days ago we posted about an RF 14-21mm f/1.4L and another “crazy” prime lens would be coming as well. A couple of unknown folks have let us know that an RF 135mm f/1.4L USM is in “some kind of development”, possibly alongside an RF 135mm f/1.8L USM.
One of the sources claims that an RF 135mm lens was shown in a roadmap presentation, but no speed or other specifications were shown, though “f/1.4 or f/1.8” was verbally mentioned. However, it was listed as coming in “late 2020+”.
As with anything [CR1], please take this info with a grain of salt.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Even more barmy than the 105mm f1.4...and yet still no 50mm f1.0....that's a proper stunt lens...
Honestly the current 135mm f2 could easily be pushed to f1.8 with a 77mm front thread. Then add a great IS unit and be done with it. Super light...super sharp and super capable. Make it's MFD to around 1m and it'll be amazing. A viable prime alternative to a 70-200 f2.8 LIS.
It seems Canon are only concerned in making colossal over sized lenses for the tiny cameras on the Rf mount.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Honestly the current 135mm f2 could easily be pushed to f1.8 with a 77mm front thread. Then add a great IS unit and be done with it.

The 135 f2 is showing its age, compared to the Sigma f1.8 and the Samyang f2 it's pretty lousy with softness and CA all over the place. It needed to be upgraded to a II about a decade ago.

Back in 1996 it was stunning. Even by 2009 it was still a good lens. Today it's just another old lens bypassed in Canon's obsession with new-shiny-sexy.

I wonder who works on Canon's assembly lines for lenses like that. It must be tough on their morale.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
The 135 f2 is showing its age, compared to the Sigma f1.8 and the Samyang f2 it's pretty lousy with softness and CA all over the place. It needed to be upgraded to a II about a decade ago.

Back in 1996 it was stunning. Even by 2009 it was still a good lens. Today it's just another old lens bypassed in Canon's obsession with new-shiny-sexy.

I wonder who works on Canon's assembly lines for lenses like that. It must be tough on their morale.

I have the CN-E version of this lens and I love. It and the 85 are my primary interview lenses. I’ve even put it on one of my 5D’s and shot stills with it and it performed well.

All that being said, a ‘super speed’ version of the 135 would be incredible. But as someone who has demo’d the sigma 105 T1.5, a 135 that speed will not be light(weight), even in a stills configuration. But the weight of most still lenses don’t bother me.

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2015
Very exciting to see these lenses from Canon. Not putting Canon down, but if I were to get a mirrorless camera right now, I would consider Nikon simply because of their compact and somewhat affordable lenses, the 24-70 and 14-30 and IBIS. Surely Canon will have similar eventually. Moot point as I will continue to use my current Canon DSLR body and lenses. But I do enjoy following the developments.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Even more barmy than the 105mm f1.4...and yet still no 50mm f1.0....that's a proper stunt lens...
Honestly the current 135mm f2 could easily be pushed to f1.8 with a 77mm front thread. Then add a great IS unit and be done with it. Super light...super sharp and super capable. Make it's MFD to around 1m and it'll be amazing. A viable prime alternative to a 70-200 f2.8 LIS.
It seems Canon are only concerned in making colossal over sized lenses for the tiny cameras on the Rf mount.
All of the RF lenses are new designs and the market they are concerned the most about is the Pros / advanced amateurs that have the holy trinity of the 16 - 35mm f2.8L, 24-70MM f2.8L & the 70-200mm f2.8L followed by the 100-400mm f4 - 5.6L The holy trinity in RF mount have been announced as coming they need to do this to combat Sony and the G Master lenses. This is the market with the fattest margins not the entry level lenses the RP will need. Add in the present RF 50mm f1.2L and the upcoming RF 85mm f1.2L lenses that are so favoured by wedding photographers & fashion / portrait photographers and it is clear the Pros are the photographers a. you need to keep and b. were being swayed by Sony.

Canon have all their sales statistics, and they are aware of market trends not just what they are doing but also competitors including smart phones. Given how many years it took for Sony to get into a leading position, Canon are now reacting super fast. Developing lenses is time consuming and expensive.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0