Is an RF 135mm f/1.4L USM in development? [CR1]

Wide opened, you can have one corner of the eye in focus and the other of the same eye out of focus.
Or you could shoot a subject some distance from the camera (full length and then some) and get great separation like never before at a longer distance. And if you wanted a tight headshot you still have the freedom to close down a couple stops. I would love such a lens.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
The 135 f2 is showing its age, compared to the Sigma f1.8 and the Samyang f2 it's pretty lousy with softness and CA all over the place. It needed to be upgraded to a II about a decade ago.

Back in 1996 it was stunning. Even by 2009 it was still a good lens. Today it's just another old lens bypassed in Canon's obsession with new-shiny-sexy.

I wonder who works on Canon's assembly lines for lenses like that. It must be tough on their morale.
Speak for yourself. It's a great tool and one with a unique look when used correctly. Age has nothing to do with it. It's a great design, timeless.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
These rumored lenses sound sweet. If they're not stabilized, they'd be tough to work with with cameras without IBIS.

I see a future where I adapt Canon RF lenses on Nikon Z-mount bodies. :LOL:

I don't think that's possible with a Z flange at 16mm and an RF flange at 20mm. At least not without adding glass.

Upvote 0

lexptr

Photograph the nature while it exists...
Aug 8, 2014
Even more barmy than the 105mm f1.4...and yet still no 50mm f1.0....that's a proper stunt lens...
Honestly the current 135mm f2 could easily be pushed to f1.8 with a 77mm front thread. Then add a great IS unit and be done with it. Super light...super sharp and super capable. Make it's MFD to around 1m and it'll be amazing. A viable prime alternative to a 70-200 f2.8 LIS.
It seems Canon are only concerned in making colossal over sized lenses for the tiny cameras on the Rf mount.
Not exactly. The "holly trinity" is awesome. The RF 70-200 f2.8 is incredibly small. So I would say, they push in both directions: extreme super-species and normal workhorses. Where they are not focused is the third one: smaller and cheaper non-L lenses. Any ways, I agree with you, a good 135 f1.8 IS would be more appealing :)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
Speak for yourself. It's a great tool and one with a unique look when used correctly. Age has nothing to do with it. It's a great design, timeless.
I agree! It’s not that I don’t appreciate sharp lenses, but I have a hard time understanding those who crave so much for more sharpness than you can have with the EF 135L, also at f2. When you reach a certain level of sharpness, “sharp enough“ (which the 135L is) getting sharper becomes meaningless, or at least a low priority, in my opinion. I’d rather have a smaller and lighter lens, rather than a sharper one than the 135L.

Upvote 0

lexptr

Photograph the nature while it exists...
Aug 8, 2014
I agree! It’s not that I don’t appreciate sharp lenses, but I have a hard time understanding those who crave so much for more sharpness than you can have with the EF 135L, also at f2. When you reach a certain level of sharpness, “sharp enough“ (which the 135L is) getting sharper becomes meaningless, or at least a low priority, in my opinion. I’d rather have a smaller and lighter lens, rather than a sharper one than the 135L.
But what if new one will be sharper AND maintain all the good qualities of the old 135 f2 or even improve them? Also there are some super-mega-pixel bodies these days and people who want to use them and make large prints.

Upvote 0

CafferyPhoto

Commercial photog
CR Pro
Mar 28, 2017
Washington State
cafferyphoto.com
IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS please IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS please IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS IS please

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2017
These rumored lenses sound sweet. If they're not stabilized, they'd be tough to work with with cameras without IBIS.

I see a future where I adapt Canon RF lenses on Nikon Z-mount bodies. :LOL:
I rather see a future to adapt my EF glass to an RF body ;). May be the next RP or R iteration (with a sensor different than my 6D mk ii one...), or may be I will just save anton of money and keep the DSLR as a main body for a few years to come. I mean, I am a nerd, not making a living from it...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2013
135 1.4 would be vreally crazy (also extremely expensive) If anyday canon creates an x1.4 or x2 extensor for RF mount, this will become almost 200 f2 (189 f2, exactly), Thats a lens almost valued on 6k$. I think it will be 1.8 IS or so.

Mitakon 135mm f1.4 lens is about the same size as Canon 200mm f2. I used to own 200 f2, loved it optically but the FL is a bit too much. The same highest IQ but 135mm FL would be amazing. Some weight save would be great too ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012

Indeed, one of Canon's greatest lens is the old 400 f/5.6L. It has but 7 lens elements, but is tack sharp and it definitely not a new design.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
But what if new one will be sharper AND maintain all the good qualities of the old 135 f2 or even improve them? Also there are some super-mega-pixel bodies these days and people who want to use them and make large prints.
If so, GAS would hit me hard, and I would buy (yet another) lens I don’t need. ;)

Upvote 0
Indeed, one of Canon's greatest lens is the old 400 f/5.6L. It has but 7 lens elements, but is tack sharp and it definitely not a new design.
Good to read that I am not alone: I am always impressed about the detailed and contrasty images of this lens where everything seems "right" (natural?). If the atmosphere is fine.
Some of my first images were made from a brownish crop field after a very cold night in the strong morning sun (end of february / beginning of march) and it was VERY unsharp, maybe 640x480 pixels downsizing would have made it acceptable - I learned that the weather conditions contribute more to sharpness compared to the "old" lens itself.

Upvote 0