Is an RF 135mm f/1.4L USM in development? [CR1]

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
Is IBIS effective for the focal length of 135mm (not the "135mm equivalent" for a tiny sensor, but the real 135mm)?
This, from Sony IBIS, indicates that it is effective for long focal lengths. Of course there will be some implementation differences.

Upvote 0
Sure, the 50mm f/1.8 "Mk I" and the 35mm f/2.0 "non-IS" are what I'm talking about. Basically, the lens might as well be as deep as the R's grip; any shallower doesn't make the system as a whole shallower. The 35mm/1.8ISMac is twice the size I'd like in an every-day lens, in part from IS and in part from macro capability I think. Though of course AF and the control ring also make it bigger. (I'm using a Leica 35/1.4 ASPH as my "always in the backpack" lens until Canon comes up with something cheaper and native.)

(I tried my 50mm f/1.8 "Mk I" on an adapter but the combined size is the size of the RF 35mm, which is twice as big as I want.)

(I also tried the 45mm and 28mm pancakes on an adapter and while the resulting size is almost right, they're still a little too big, and also for the amount of space they take up they should be a 1-1 1/3 stops brighter than they are.)

I don't see something that small and fast a priority for Canon. The market is shrinking, and there is a flight for the higher priced segment. Look at how Panasonic is positioning their GH5s and their FF entries, and Fuji and Olympus with their high priced bodies. The RF ecosystem won't be as a large as the EF ecosystem for that reason. A lot of consumer grade options will not be duplicated -- it'll be more enthusiast and above. So most people are looking for quality over portability with FF. Most of the people that value portability over all else often choose cell phones, which is why the whole market is shrinking.

There is a reason why Canon chose to lead the R ecosystem with expensive glass. And with the 35 f/1.8 IS macro and the 35L lens (EF version II and the eventual RF version), that focal length is pretty much covered. Maybe there will be a pancake or two, but those will be slow (f/2.8) and Canon knows that it'll sell more AF lenses than MF lenses (which can be smaller). The R with the RF 35 f/1.8 IS is not that big. Halving the lens depth does not save that much in the volume of body/lens combo. What does is a EOS M with the 22 f/2. Size is a guiding principle for Canon in how it treats the M ecosystem and why it is not a full system with many lenses at fast apertures.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
For that with a front element at least 200mm you may need to sell both kidneys and may be your Liver as well.
By putting the lens about 3/4" closer to the sensor (film plane), they should be able to achieve better than the current f/2.8 aperture of the 400mm lens. I think f/2.0 is doable.

In terms of pricing, it's important but not really important for this conversation. I'm more interested in the technology progression.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
By putting the lens about 3/4" closer to the sensor (film plane), they should be able to achieve better than the current f/2.8 aperture of the 400mm lens. I think f/2.0 is doable.
Trey, I’d like to introduce you to Physics...it appears that you haven’t met.

For any lens, the entrance pupil (which is the optical representation of the physical aperture) needs to be filled with light. For telephoto lenses, the entrance pupil is essentially at the front element, meaning you need a front element about the same size as the physical aperture, which is focal length / f-number. A 400mm f/2.0 lens would need a 200mm diameter front element. A shorter flange focal distance isn’t going to change that one bit.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
Never owned a 135 f2 but shot with one once. Nice focal length and fast AF. But big dopey aperture leaves gave angular bokeh. 70-200 II had much nicer bokeh.

Sharp? It was in the film era, but is outclassed now:

And close it down to 2.8 and guess what is just as good? The 70-200 II again.

Yes, there are some old sharp lenses; Canon 200 1.8 and 300 2.8 and the Mamiya 300 5.6 being examples. But the mid-tier mid-90s lenses like the 135 were designed down to a budget. It's a disgrace that they're still in the catalogue.

So who's next up to defend the 200 2.8 II? Canon will still take a grand of your cash for that dinosaur.
I am happy to defend the 200 f2.8LII. I got one used a couple of months ago, and I love it. Reasonably small and light (just a little bit bigger than the 135L), fast to focus, sharp across the frame at f2.8, and beautiful bookeh! It made me sell the 70-200 f2.8LIII I got on sale on black friday last november without thinking twice.

The 200 f2.8LII is plenty sharp, but yes, when pixel peeping I admit that it could be sharper. In my opinion though, I find the lack of biting crisp details to provide a very pleasing and “organic” look. I’m not sure I would want it sharper if I could choose... The only thing I miss in it is IS.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
Trey, I’d like to introduce you to Physics...it appears that you haven’t met.

For any lens, the entrance pupil (which is the optica representation of the physical aperture) needs to be filled with light. For telephoto lenses, the entrance pupil is essentially at the front element, meaning you need a front element about the same size as the physical aperture, which is focal length / f-number. A 400mm f/2.0 lens would need a 200mm diameter front element. A shorter flange focal distance isn’t going to change that one bit.
But I'm talking about RF flange, larger rear aperture.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Never owned a 135 f2 but shot with one once. Nice focal length and fast AF. But big dopey aperture leaves gave angular bokeh. 70-200 II had much nicer bokeh.

Sharp? It was in the film era, but is outclassed now:

And close it down to 2.8 and guess what is just as good? The 70-200 II again.

Yes, there are some old sharp lenses; Canon 200 1.8 and 300 2.8 and the Mamiya 300 5.6 being examples. But the mid-tier mid-90s lenses like the 135 were designed down to a budget. It's a disgrace that they're still in the catalogue.

So who's next up to defend the 200 2.8 II? Canon will still take a grand of your cash for that dinosaur.
I own the EF 135mm f/2L and the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II. In my experience the 135mm has better bokeh at f/2.8, and of course, the 70-200 is terrible at f/2. ;)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
This, from Sony IBIS, indicates that it is effective for long focal lengths. Of course there will be some implementation differences.

Actually, I think the write up in the link helps prove IBIS from Sony is not very effective at all at long focal lengths. The very old Soligor lens he is using is manual focus, at f/5.6, and hand held. I'd like to see a controlled test with a Sony native AF lens and wide open. All of Sony's long lenses are image stabilized (OSS). All of them. I must wonder why that is?;) Sony also makes nothing longer than 400mm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
By the time this lens arrives, I suspect Canon’s flagship R type body will be available with IBIS.

We’ll definitely see IBIS on Canon soon enough, but I think in the next few years Canon will be more aggressive with lens options and Nikon more aggressive with camera body options.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
But I'm talking about RF flange, larger rear aperture.
But...Physics. For a telephoto design, the exit pupil is irrelevant in determining overall lens dimensions. So is the image circle (it’s always big, which is why there are no long telephoto EF-S lenses). A 24mm lens, the RF flange matters. A 400mm lens, it just doesn’t.

Seriously...Physics. You two should get acquainted. Roger Cicala published a series of blog posts on lens design. There are other online resources.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Upvote 0