Is any manufacturer close to making anything like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lumen Scriptor

I want a fully manual DIGITAL SLR that uses Canon FD lenses. High quality FD lenses are out there moldering in closets by the millions! They're moldering in MY closet. I WANT a manual camera! I LIKE to set my shutter speed and f stop. I LIKE to figure out my depth of field. Ricoh makes a digital camera that takes old Leica lenses! Any manufacturer--doesn't have to be Canon, in fact it would be better if it wasn't as far as I'm concerned because Canon abandoned me and orphaned all my lenses! A 24 x 36mm CMOS chip with 3 controls--f stop, shutter speed, and ASA. Doesn't even have to be SLR as long as it has a big fine grained led screen. Is any manufacturer close to making anything like this? Doesn't anybody else want what I want?

BumpyMunky

I wonder what this button does...
Nov 14, 2011
Canada
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Lumen Scriptor said:
FD lenses have about half the image quality of modern EF lenses? Really? That's incredible. I had no idea..... It's not that I don't trust you Radiating but.... can some more people verify that?

BumpyMunkey and Hillsilly--thanks but I don't want to mess with adapters. or smaller sensor.

In that case, you are out of luck, because no one makes a DSLR camera that uses FD lenses. And, they will not be doing it in the future.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
Lumen Scriptor said:
I want a fully manual DIGITAL SLR that uses Canon FD lenses. High quality FD lenses are out there moldering in closets by the millions! They're moldering in MY closet. I WANT a manual camera! I LIKE to set my shutter speed and f stop. I LIKE to figure out my depth of field. Ricoh makes a digital camera that takes old Leica lenses! Any manufacturer--doesn't have to be Canon, in fact it would be better if it wasn't as far as I'm concerned because Canon abandoned me and orphaned all my lenses! A 24 x 36mm CMOS chip with 3 controls--f stop, shutter speed, and ASA. Doesn't even have to be SLR as long as it has a big fine grained led screen. Is any manufacturer close to making anything like this? Doesn't anybody else want what I want?

Pentax K-01?.. no FD adapter but the right concept.

When I got my first EOS digital I was hoping to make use of some of my old FD lens collection. Bought an FD-to-EOS adapter with a corrective lens built into it. Most of my old FD lenses were not worth the effort it turned out. Unless stopped down to f/8 or smaller, they had really bad coma and other IQ problems to the point of being unusable. Sold the adapter, put the FD glass back in the closet with my A1 and started to buy newer lenses with proper coatings compatible with the more reflective surface of the digital sensor. Dull brown film didn't have quite the same problem.
Some of the problem was likely also with the adapter lens, altho coated, not coated as well as a proper "digital" lens.

Upvote 0
Radiating said:
FD lenses have about half the image quality of modern EF lenses yet they retain most of their value on the used market.
I don't know about half the quality. I have been using the EdMika adaptors for the 55mm 1.2 FD lens and the 800mm 5.6L FD lens and am getting some quality shots. I am not a pro and manual focus on a 800mm without image stabilization requires a great deal of long lens technique, but if you get it right you can get some quality results. I am sure that spending $14,000 to get a new 800mm would provide a much higher percentage of keepers of better quality, but capturing a moving object in focus with the 800mm makes you feel mas macho. Here is an example of shots I took last weekend with the FD 800.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Upvote 0
Radiating said:
FD lenses have about half the image quality of modern EF lenses yet they retain most of their value on the used market.

I would recommend just selling your lenses on eBay and buying mid level DSLR with mid level lenses and using it in manual mode, it would be much better than what you're proposing.

WTF?

my 600 FD f4.5 might not have got that memo

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=5103.0

Upvote 0
Lumen Scriptor said:

Sounds like you're into mirrorless...

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Lumen, I really do feel your pain but you really have two options
1. Get an adaptor there are a couple out there that aren’t two bad, wouldn’t use them wide open though.
2. What camera did you have with the FDs? Dust it off and go shoot some B&W film it’s fun and it does sate the frustration, cool and retro according to my daughter and her bf has just got a 2-1/4sq TLR, don’t know what the hell is going on!!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.