Is Canon 7D a good choice for my next DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

revo2seven

Thank you for your insights guys really appreciate it. still a bit short of funds to the 7d but its getting there. I was thinking to get the 70-200 f4 is lens since you doesn't want to be near those rc when they are full speed and save my rig in the long run just in case there is a runner (out of control rc). then wait for a pretty good deal on 17-55 like a lot of people suggested. can't wait to get all the funds ready and start dhooting..

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

revo2seven said:
Thank you for your insights guys really appreciate it. still a bit short of funds to the 7d but its getting there. I was thinking to get the 70-200 f4 is lens since you doesn't want to be near those rc when they are full speed and save my rig in the long run just in case there is a runner (out of control rc). then wait for a pretty good deal on 17-55 like a lot of people suggested. can't wait to get all the funds ready and start dhooting..

55-250 IS will get you further away from the RC at less than $200 - and give you excellent pictures.

As a bonus they are feather heavy, short, black and inconspicuous

Upvote 0
I have the 55-250 and a 7D... and I wouldn't suggest it. The AF motor in the 55-250 is _way_ slow... which was ok on my old XSi... but with all of the AF upgrades on the 7D I can really tell that it's the lens that's keeping me from getting those good tracking shots (especially of things coming at me or away from me).

If you're going to try to track RC cars at high speed... a 7D is the right idea... but make sure you put some glass on it that can keep up with your subject!

Personally, I think I'm going to spring for the 70-200 f/4 IS. I want it for the weather sealing (I mainly shoot outdoors) and the fact that it is lighter and cheaper than the f/2.8 II.

Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
Brian is right. The 7D + 55-250 combo does a surprisingly good job tracking in bright light.
Low light, forget it.

Some examples. Note, bright light.
5561WayneHuck.jpg

5564WarrenSkiing.jpg

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.