Is it possible to remove the top off of a 600ex-rt??

I have to have AF assist during dark wedding receptions and I was angry that the smaller transmitter left off an AF assist. I do not need my on camera flash to produce light (I rely on off camera lights), however I need it to control the other flashes and provide a reliable AF assist. When the 430ex iii came out I thought that it would make a great master for my off camera flashes, but I have read on this form that the AF assist only works with the center AF point, and that is not acceptable. I shoot with the 1dx2 and as good as it is, it can't focus in complete darkness. The 600ex is large and it puts a lot of stress on my hands and wrists throughout a long event. I would love to know if it is possible to take the flash part off of a 600ex and only leave the battery compartment, controls, and AF assist. Is there anyone who would be able to do that? I doubt Canon would do it.

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
midluk said:
arthurbikemad said:
Just buy the YN E3 RT, cheap and gives you second curtain, but has an AF assist beam so powerful that it can cut off people's heads like a laser beam ;)

It is a laser beam (or actually multiple of them). I definitely wouldn't want to use it when shooting people for eye-safety reasons.

:) :) :) That type of red laser is generally very low power (< 1mw). While bright... the subject will be okay. Supermarket checkers look at them all the time.

Upvote 0