Is it realistic for the canon 7d iii to match the image quality of nikon d500?

Do you think the 7diii can at least match or even overtake the nikon d500 regarding noise at high is

• Total voters
When you compare Images of the 7d ii with images form the nikon d500 you can see two things in favor of the nikon d500:

More sharpness
Less noise at high iso

I think that canon can match the sharpness of the images of the nikon d500 by removing the AA filter.
But iso performance wise it is atm obvious that the canon 7d ii has more colour noise, way more color noise.
As for luminance noise im not sure how far they really are apart.

Do you think the 7diii can at least match or even overtake the nikon d500 regarding noise at high iso? is it realistic? keep in mind the nikon d500 has a slightly bigger aps-c sensor.

Perhaps a poll is usefull here:

Noise has always been my biggest gripe with the 7D series and I really hope this has been a focus for Canon. The AF system of the D500 is also incredible. I am in envy every time I shoot side by side with someone with a D500. The FPS, Buffer, AF and image quality are all excellent.

I shoot with a 5dmk4 as I enjoy the colour and quality from a full frame camera however if I could use a D500 I would.

In saying that I used the 7D extensively and took some of my favourite images with that camera. I would be surprised if the 7d3 isn't a big improvement in all areas. Well you would hope so after so long.

Upvote 0
Duade Paton said:
Noise has always been my biggest gripe with the 7D series and I really hope this has been a focus for Canon. The AF system of the D500 is also incredible. I am in envy every time I shoot side by side with someone with a D500. The FPS, Buffer, AF and image quality are all excellent.

I shoot with a 5dmk4 as I enjoy the colour and quality from a full frame camera however if I could use a D500 I would.

In saying that I used the 7D extensively and took some of my favourite images with that camera. I would be surprised if the 7d3 isn't a big improvement in all areas. Well you would hope so after so long.

from the experience with my 80d i can tell that the low light focussing is very poor.

What difference did you notice in focussing between your 7d and the d500?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Cryve said:
Duade Paton said:

from the experience with my 80d i can tell that the low light focussing is very poor.

What difference did you notice in focussing between your 7d and the d500?

Not sure if it considered low light, but I shot a couple of high school football games at night with my 70D (when I had it) and I thought if focused very well and quickly with an EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II. Noise wasn't bad either. Surely the 80D is better than the 70D. (Blame the poor color on my having the workspace setti9ngs wrong in PS at the time.)

Attachments

• BullgogsWarriors2WEB.jpg
    BullgogsWarriors2WEB.jpg
    775.1 KB · Views: 105
  • BulldogsWarriors9WEB.jpg
    BulldogsWarriors9WEB.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 103
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 269
Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
Not sure if it considered low light, but I shot a couple of high school football games at night with my 70D (when I had it) and I thought if focused very well and quickly with an EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II. Noise wasn't bad either. Surely the 80D is better than the 70D. (Blame the poor color on my having the workspace setti9ngs wrong in PS at the time.)

I had problems with it nailing focus down to the milimeter. sometimes it was off by just a few milimeters which was annoying because i had to take many shots just to get one really sharp one. Apparently that was also a problem with many of the 7d ii cameras at release.

As for lowlight it had problems nailing focus on low contrast black birds, the head isnt in focus. Of course this is just one example of a lot i had over the months.

Attachments

• _MG_8178.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 127
Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
So you are asking if a newer flagship crop camera is better than an older flagship crop camera.

im not sure..the nikons aps-c sensor is a little bit bigger than the canon sensor which helps with iso performance.
We could be reaching the limits of possible iso performance, in which case a smaller sensor could never outperform a bigger sensor.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Don Haines said:
So you are asking if a newer flagship crop camera is better than an older flagship crop camera.

YES!

And the 7D3 will be better than the D500.....

And when Nikon comes out with a successor to the D500, it will be better than the 7D3.....

And so on..... and so on..... and so on.....

I don't think they are allowed to play leap frog in school anymore. ;)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Cryve said:
CanonFanBoy said:

I had problems with it nailing focus down to the milimeter. sometimes it was off by just a few milimeters which was annoying because i had to take many shots just to get one really sharp one. Apparently that was also a problem with many of the 7d ii cameras at release.

As for lowlight it had problems nailing focus on low contrast black birds, the head isnt in focus. Of course this is just one example of a lot i had over the months.

Well, looks a little back focused to me.

Upvote 0