Is Maybe "Mirrorless" Not as Much of a Thing as Everyone's Saying?

So I got the latest and greatest mirrorless camera, took a spin for a day and went right back to my large DSLR without looking back.
Had all of the features anyone could want and more, but was just too small for good handling and I didn't like how it came out of the box for transferring photos (no USB cable, etc.).
Since that recent fateful day I got a moderately large and heavy DSLR lens and that system just feels perfectly right with everything I could ever want and more starting on day one.
Not feel'in it.

Mar 25, 2011
Some people have hands too large to be comfortable with small cameras, some have small hands that work well on smaller bodies. Mirrorless does not have to be small, but DSLR's are larger than mirrorless.
With two different potential markets, Canon has to decide which, or make both small and large. There is a very large market for the smaller bodies, they are popular in Asia. There is currently no competition for large body mirrorless that use DSLR lenses. That also sounds like a lock on sales.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
My hands fit the 5D series just right, especially with a joystick. They also work for general shooting with the M5 but try macro on rails and finicky adjustments on the fly and it no longer works, therefore the small guy is for nothing artistic. I'm in the camp where if small form factor is the prime reason behind ML, well count me out. Now I know, even though it was the battle cry for many for YEARS, there are other features where ML could outperform mirror box gear. All I know about and care about is that I don't need one. I have only shot with the Sony line in a shop but I could tell with 100% certainty I would be unhappy in the long run with the ergonomics. If Canon could keep things medium sized, say 6D ish and include a joystick then I'd change my tune. Hell, if they'd put a joystick on the 6D line I'd buy one.

Upvote 0
Latest CIPA data shows mirrorless deliveries substantially ahead of dSLR's in Japan. The Americas are the laggards where dSLR sales remain well ahead of mirrorless - but mirrorless are increasing significantly.

Different strokes for different folks, or different jobs. For me, m43 mirrorless is unique because it can be very small and pocketable, or it can be much more dSLR like. My Oly E-PL9 with the pancake zoom easily fits cargo pants pockets. Yet, my E-M5II or newer Pana G-9 with battery grips are similar to small dSLR. Smaller sensor means much smaller/lighter lenses - very welcome to this old guy for hours of event or in the field shooting.

Is my Canon gear better? Yes, but the gap isn't nearly as big as most assume. Partly that's my fault as I haven't invested in new Canon stuff for a while. Much of my kit is 1-2 generations old. I'm anxious to see what Canon unfolds next to know where I should direct my future buys.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
old-pr-pix said:
Latest CIPA data shows mirrorless deliveries substantially ahead of dSLR's in Japan. The Americas are the laggards where dSLR sales remain well ahead of mirrorless - but mirrorless are increasing significantly.

Different strokes for different folks, or different jobs. For me, m43 mirrorless is unique because it can be very small and pocketable, or it can be much more dSLR like. My Oly E-PL9 with the pancake zoom easily fits cargo pants pockets. Yet, my E-M5II or newer Pana G-9 with battery grips are similar to small dSLR. Smaller sensor means much smaller/lighter lenses - very welcome to this old guy for hours of event or in the field shooting.

Is my Canon gear better? Yes, but the gap isn't nearly as big as most assume. Partly that's my fault as I haven't invested in new Canon stuff for a while. Much of my kit is 1-2 generations old. I'm anxious to see what Canon unfolds next to know where I should direct my future buys.

That depends entirely on your standards, your post processing abilities and your output size. Many have no need or desire to go above a 9x crop phone, some are happy with M4/3, others demand the very latest in medium format and higher.

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2010
Assuming that most people use a camera that is less than 5 years old, it should be easy to do some calculations showing how much DSLRs sales have exceeded mirrorless cameras during that time, which would explain why you don't see a lot.

But the answer is definitely influenced by location. For example, here in Australia, when I'm out and about I see more new mirrorless cameras than new DSLRs. That's been the case for at least the last three years. It's only when I attend sporting events that I notice a dominance of DSLRs.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Personally I am yet to see a mirrorless camera that tempts me away from a DSLR.

Obviously it's personal preference but I much prefer an OVF to an EVF (and yes, I know there are things and EVF can do that an OVF can't). Also, I am not keen to deal with reduced battery life (which as far as I know is still an issue, and makes sense given the need to power an OVF), and query AF tracking on mirrorless (although I believe the top end mirrorless cameras are pretty good now). And so far as full frame mirrorless goes, a smaller lighter body doesn't make that much difference overall once you add lenses but it does create ergonomic issues. (As has already been said above though, there is no reason mirrorless cameras couldn't be made the same size and weight as a DSLR.)

Anyway, my only interest in mirrorless at the moment would be something like Canon's M system where the overall system really is quite small and light as well as capable of good IQ (albeit lenses aren't fast, etc). At this point I don't expect a full frame mirrorless camera in my future anytime soon. I expect I'll prefer to stick to DSLR (and I can always use it in Live View if I want something pretty close to the mirrorless experience).

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
old-pr-pix said:
... Different strokes for different folks, or different jobs. For me, m43 mirrorless is unique because it can be very small and pocketable, or it can be much more dSLR like. My Oly E-PL9 with the pancake zoom easily fits cargo pants pockets. Yet, my E-M5II or newer Pana G-9 with battery grips are similar to small dSLR. Smaller sensor means much smaller/lighter lenses - very welcome to this old guy for hours of event or in the field shooting.

That depends entirely on your standards, your post processing abilities and your output size. Many have no need or desire to go above a 9x crop phone, some are happy with M4/3, others demand the very latest in medium format and higher.
Totally agree. I'd grade myself: standards - moderately high; PP skills - adequate; typical output - small or lower resolution. I love medium format and shot it exclusively for many years. Now I can't justify it (and don't want the extra bulk) because the majority of my work is going to webpages, newsletters, PowerPoint presentations, etc.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Mirrorless has some advantages, DSLRs have some advantages. Since mirrorless has some features and specs that aren't available on DSLRs, the more "tech" minded - or those who judge a camera on "innovation" are being very loud and making a big "thing" out of it.

They are both just cameras, nothing more. If DSLRs have more of the features you want, you have that choice. If mirrorless has those features, you have that choice. In the end, they are not that different and will take virtually identical photos. But that opinion, though I would say is very accurate, is also pretty boring. Since boring is a no-no, people will exaggerate and proclaim major differences between the two types of camera. That is the way of the internet.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
dak723 said:
Mirrorless has some advantages, DSLRs have some advantages. Since mirrorless has some features and specs that aren't available on DSLRs, the more "tech" minded - or those who judge a camera on "innovation" are being very loud and making a big "thing" out of it.

They are both just cameras, nothing more. If DSLRs have more of the features you want, you have that choice. If mirrorless has those features, you have that choice. In the end, they are not that different and will take virtually identical photos. But that opinion, though I would say is very accurate, is also pretty boring. Since boring is a no-no, people will exaggerate and proclaim major differences between the two types of camera. That is the way of the internet.

Seems like a good summary to me

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Cory said:
So I got the latest and greatest mirrorless camera, took a spin for a day and went right back to my large DSLR without looking back.
Had all of the features anyone could want and more, but was just too small for good handling and I didn't like how it came out of the box for transferring photos (no USB cable, etc.).
Since that recent fateful day I got a moderately large and heavy DSLR lens and that system just feels perfectly right with everything I could ever want and more starting on day one.
Not feel'in it.

Let me get this straight. You've been happily shooting with a DSLR for (presumably) many years now, but on a whim you bought some kind of mirrorless camera and used it for a whole day to do something, and you're "not feelin' it"? What kind of "thing" is "everyone" saying mirrorless is? Thank you Captain Vague.

Upvote 0
brad-man said:
Let me get this straight. You've been happily shooting with a DSLR for (presumably) many years now, but on a whim you bought some kind of mirrorless camera and used it for a whole day to do something, and you're "not feelin' it"? What kind of "thing" is "everyone" saying mirrorless is? Thank you Captain Vague.
Pretty much.
I could really use a 2nd camera for video and everyone says how great the M50 is so it seemed like a no-brainer.
Had a major fail interviewing a triple amputee Veteran that was 100% my fault, but maybe wouldn't have happened otherwise. I nearly threw up.
Then, when I went to download some stuff to the computer I couldn't find a USB cable to fit nor instructions anywhere how to download. Probably 2 stupid reasons, but immediately said "I'm ****** out." and discovered, too, that I just like my DSLR's.
So now I just posted for affirmations, but I did first look in the mirror saying that I'm good enough and people like me; even if both are untrue.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Cory said:
brad-man said:
Pretty much.
I could really use a 2nd camera for video and everyone says how great the M50 is so it seemed like a no-brainer.
Had a major fail interviewing a triple amputee Veteran that was 100% my fault, but maybe wouldn't have happened otherwise. I nearly threw up.
Then, when I went to download some stuff to the computer I couldn't find a USB cable to fit nor instructions anywhere how to download. Probably 2 stupid reasons, but immediately said "I'm ****** out." and discovered, too, that I just like my DSLR's.
So now I just posted for affirmations, but I did first look in the mirror saying that I'm good enough and people like me; even if both are untrue.

You’re using a camera rumors forum to solidify your self esteem? Good luck with that.

Upvote 0