Is The Canon Cinema EOS C300 Mark III The Next Cinema EOS Body? [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>We’re told that the next Cinema EOS camera body will be the EOS C300 Mark III, and that we will not be seeing a direct replacement to the C100 Mark II.</p>
<p>The new camera body will apparently see a bump in resolution, but specs beyond that are hard to come by as always.</p>
<p>This source suggests that the new cinema camera won’t be announced until after Photokina.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

The C100 line appears to have been killed. I held out hope for years for this camera to mature. The C200 and C300 are too big and too expensive. The possible C100 mark III kept me with Canon. I passed on the 5D4, and now I've sold my 5D3 and a couple of L lenses, and I'll sell more of them soon. I'll keep my M6 and its tiny lenses because they are small, cheap enough to be disposable and do a decent job for videos for YouTube and photos.
The one thing that might win me back to Canon is the rumored video-centric mirrorless, but Canon has dissappointed for years and I suspect that this upcoming mirrorless will follow suit.

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2013
You know what would have been smarter for Canon to do... instead of creating a separate line for Cinema.

Paid upgrades (they did it with c-log on the 5DIV). And, it should've started with the 5D mark 3.

Want 4K? Pay $1000 and we will send you a 1 time - download link that will work with your camera only (serial number specific firmware update).

Want HFR? Pay $1000 (same as above).

Want XLR and other audio inputs? here buy this add-on component - $350

Want ND filters? we make those too.

Want a friggin top handle? Here canon branded top handle that mounts to hotshoe - $300.

This way the photography community can't even complain, because they won't want any of that stuff unless they are dabbling in video.

Upvote 0
That's so disappointing. The C100 is beloved and it's painfully obvious that there is a position for a C100 Mark III below the C200. Take a C100 II, give it internal 4k and a touch to focus LCD, then be done with it. I make my living filming weddings on a C100 with the handle removed and a VideoMic Pro in the hot shoe. I don't want anything bigger (i.e. C200) or the hassle of an LCD that has an external cable (i.e. C200), and certainly won't pay $7500 for features I don't need (i.e. raw, SDI, etc.) in a market where I have better options at a better price (FS5II). Most of my peers in the wedding video industry or doing freelance work are shooting mirrorless because the equipment costs fit their revenue - professional photographers and videographers make about the same....photogs get a pro level body at ~$3500...that's about what videographers can justify, too. But then there are others like me using C100s & FS5s because we're willing to pay ~$5k for built in NDs, better ergonomics, and a more reliable shooting experience. When that prices is up at $7500, we're out.

All this makes me cringe thinking about Canon's video strategy....pulling out of a market where they're dominant (entry level cinema cam, sub ~$5k) to compete in a saturated market they're extremely far behind in (mirrorless).

Canon - What's the upgrade path for people like me who picked up a C100 II for $4k? I need internal NDs and the ability to connect XLR every now and then. Oh, you don't have one for me unless I pay nearly twice as much?

Maybe a C200 price drop is coming. I might bite at $6k. I just can't imagine how Canon expects to compete in this space otherwise.

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2014
mkabi said:
You know what would have been smarter for Canon to do... instead of creating a separate line for Cinema.

Paid upgrades (they did it with c-log on the 5DIV). And, it should've started with the 5D mark 3.

Want 4K? Pay $1000 and we will send you a 1 time - download link that will work with your camera only (serial number specific firmware update).

Want a friggin top handle? Here canon branded top handle that mounts to hotshoe - $300.

This way the photography community can't even complain, because they won't want any of that stuff unless they are dabbling in video.

I agree. The camera is a computer, but with different inputs and outputs than a desktop or laptop has. It has chips in there to process the data. That means software could be bolted on and new features added. But the basic operating strategy is to bake a camera and that is that (except for fixes). Then they bake another camera to replace the previous one.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
mkabi said:

Of course the base hardware still has to support those addons, so the photo community could rightly complain that they’re paying for capabilities they aren’t receiving.

Upvote 0
I'm very curious what the rumored video-centric mirrorless will look like and what the alleged "prioritization" of video in the mid-to-upper range DSLRs will mean. If the C100 is really dead, that will leave quite a hole, in terms of both price and functionality, between the XC series or a 5D with Canon LOG and the C200. If they'd do something competitive in the $2,000 - $4,000 space (e.g. good 4K codec, reasonable exposure and monitoring tools, reasonable active sensor area, log), I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be all over it, even if they withheld nice-to-have features like advanced IS or XLRs or built-in ND filters or 120+ fps.

Upvote 0