Is the Canon EOS 5DS series to be replaced by a mirrorless camera? [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We’ve been told a couple of times in very vague terms that Canon may be looking to replace the EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R with a higher megapixel EOS R series camera.
The high megapixel 5DS series from Canon is a niche product in the lineup and it would make some sense to move this series over to the EOS R side of things. I don’t believe the average 5DS user would be all that bothered by adapting EF lenses, especially with the adapter options available to EOS R shooters. Landscape shooters will likely love the circular polarizer and ND filter adapters available from Canon.
We believe that a native wide angle zoom will be coming sometime in 2019, and that would help with the transition to the EOS R system for shooters that don’t want to go the adapter router.
Take this with a grain of salt, as I’m not sure Canon will be ready to kill off a DSLR line this soon in favour of an infant full frame mirrorless system. That said, I have no information about how well the EOS 5DS series of cameras...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018
Makes sense to me. My guess for the 2nd FF mirrorless has been basically this the entire time. Canon likes to use old tech over developing new stuff, so I predict the sensor from the 5DSR series but "updated/redesigned" in the same way the 5DIV sensor was "newly developed" for the EOS R. The camera may or may not have better controls such as a joystick for focus points and it's unlikely to have full frame 4K (no crop) or 120P at 1080 due to sensor tech and readout speeds, high 50MP resolution and same Digic 8 processor used in EOS R. I also wouldn't expect to see any IBIS implementation.

But, I'm certain that it will take incredibly sharp and detailed photos especially with the new RF lenses.

I'm personally more interested in what Canon might be able to do with a lower resolution sensor like 20-26 MP. Maybe we could get better DR, higher fps and full frame 4K.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

VORON

EF 8-15mm F/4.0 L
Nov 23, 2017
St. Petersburg, Russia
Sounds very reasonable. Canon still must release the high-MP EOS R body to complement new L-class RF lenses. And present 5DS cameras are outdated, waiting for replacement for too long. There's no sense in releasing both MILC and DSLR of same class with little delay, making them fight each other.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Makes sense. Even if it only has 1080p and no 4K at all it'd still be a worthwhile camera if they could get a 50-60mpx sensor in an EOS R body.

Now, hopefully this time they can do it right and have NO anti alias filter at all instead of the double filter mess they have on the 5DSR.

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
Makes sense. Even if it only has 1080p and no 4K at all it'd still be a worthwhile camera if they could get a 50-60mpx sensor in an EOS R body.

Now, hopefully this time they can do it right and have NO anti alias filter at all instead of the double filter mess they have on the 5DSR.
I tend to agree that the video specs are less important on a camera focused on high resolution, but they still need to consider it due to the competition. Well, in my opinion anyway. But Canon tends to not look at the competitions offerings.

I do agree that they need to avoid the AA filter though.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I not only wouldn't be surprised by this development, but would be quite happy as well. I am hoping for the 5DSR replacement to include no AA filter (per comments above), a small bump in MP, a big improvement in DR and high ISO performance a much better focusing system and a small bump in FPS. I don't particularly care about video as I believe this camera is primarily a studio/landscape model.

Combine this with a more compact/lighter body and some killer R series lenses and I am all in. I will sell my 5D Mark III, 5DSR and any lenses that match the focal lengths of my existing L set up.

This would also be a great wildlife setup as I use the 5DSR today for wildlife and it is pretty decent. If they improve the FPS and focusing system it will be the best wildlife setup out there. Pixel cropping when you need it and amazing resolution when you can get close. Feathers and fur will be popping!

Come on Canon make my day! :cool::p:D

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
I sure hope this is true.

A high MP landscape camera has mirrorless written all over it. I use my 5D4 in live view mode almost exclusively when on a tripod and shooting landscapes, so in effect it is "mirrorless". The speed and video things are not as important to a lot of those users.

I would order one tomorrow, since I have been awaiting an updated 5DSR with a modern sensor. If a 50 MP or so (hopefully not much more as this is already plenty) sensor with the DR/noise performance of the 5d4 is in this body, it is more than good enough and I think many 5DSR users would go for it.

Hopefully the tilt/flip screen of the R stays, since as a guy who is 6'5 it would be welcome for sure.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
I'm hardly sensor-centric, but I think they would have to do more than tweak the current 5Ds(R) sensor for it to be worth bringing out a new version, mirrorless or not.
I said the same thing about EOS R before it launched. I just wanted to see a step forward in sensor tech and not a 5DIV sensor. Not saying it's a bad sensor, it's just nothing new or exciting. Canon is not afraid of using old tech in new cameras. Look at 6DII and now EOS R. Based on these last two releases, I seriously doubt they will have a new sensor for a 5DSR mirrorless equivalent. I hope I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem likely.

Upvote 0

KT

Feb 2, 2012
Other than the 1D x Mark III and perhaps the APS-C lines (90D and 7D mark III, etc...), I don't see any reason for Canon to invest in the DSLR business. They need to focus all their resources on catching up and passing Sony. Otherwise they will be confined to an also-ran category. They already invested heavily in a new mount system, the R and they need to build a new lens portfolio worthy of a pro and advanced amateur interest. They can't chase both DSLR and mirrorless at the same time.

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
Other than the 1D x Mark III and perhaps the APS-C lines (90D and 7D mark III, etc...), I don't see any reason for Canon to invest in the DSLR business. They need to focus all their resources on catching up and passing Sony. Otherwise they will be confined to an also-ran category. They already invested heavily in a new mount system, the R and they need to build a new lens portfolio worthy of a pro and advanced amateur interest. They can't chase both DSLR and mirrorless at the same time.
To me, this is part of their problem. Canon is terrified of losing DSLR sales... even if those same sales just move over to mirrorless. The EOS R is a perfect example of this. They made it clear multiple times at launch that the EOS R "IS NOT" a replacement for their DSLR system. Plus they made sure it fit right in between the 6D Mark II and 5D Mark IV to ensure it doesn't directly compete and therefore affect sales of either of those DSLR's.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Minimum video capacity. Good.
DPAF. Yes.
IBIS. Yes.
AA. No.
50 MP. Yes.
2x Digic 8. Yes.
2x Card Slots. Yes.
WiFi. Yes.
GPS. Yes.

That's not much to ask for in a mirrorless camera. It improves a bit on it's mirrored parent. Any radical improvement would require a new sensor platform. We can read Waiting for Godot till that happens!

Upvote 0
Right now IMO Canon was embarressed by Nikon when they introduced the Z6 and Z7. The R is a nice camera but it is outperformed by Nikon's offerings. An update to the 5Ds(R) would help restore Canon's leadership position,

If they really had been embarrassed, they could have reduced the price. Or maybe they will after half a year of sales - just long enough to squeeze the early adopters?

Upvote 0