Is the Canon EOS RP the next camera up?

Most pros will not be abandoning Canon anytime soon for the same reasons that pros who use Nikon will not abandon that platform. As business people they see the cost is high and coupled with acclimating to a new system adds huge stress to the business.
Canon knows they will have switchers but they have always had them. They may leave, but new ones come over and the perennial switchers will be back.
I do like my R. It won’t save my life but it fills gaps that my mk IV can’t do.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
P camera i think it doesnt mean just one p its many p . Platform,Pocket,Popular,Pro.
They shave viewfinder and grip away and reduce thickness to 3cm ,4cm with pancake objective.
So it fits to pocket as smartphone.Now comes most important P Phone,its smartphone too.
Yep not smarthone with camera , Camera with smartphone.
Thats why popular ,they dont want just back old market share before camera phones ,they want also smartphones market share.
It turns Pro sport camera when you buy Grip module with extra processor punch and electric viewfinder module.
You can aslo buy cheap consumer grip with disco lights ,then its P like Party.
Last P is Pneumatic shutter ,it shoots curtains off with air rifle and back with other pipe. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Yes, they can! aren't they good looking cameras? :)

s-l1600.jpg
I want them all for "stealth" photography!
Gimme gimme!!!:love::p

Upvote 0
So you 'NEED' something a little more serious right now. A jack of all trades camera, mainly for video, but also with 'good enough' stills,
Oh dear me..
You wont get far on here mate I would go while you can.
Hmm, go where :unsure:, Sony is not that perfect either, the a7RIII and a7III still lack a good video AF and ergonomics. Such a hard decision to make.

Upvote 0
Looks like Canonwatch is leaning towards a high-res pro camera while Canonrumours to a lower-end model. Time will tell.

I'd like it to be a high-res dual slot thing, and preferably before September due to my schedule, but who cares...

I agree with the higher end body.

There's a need for a replacement of the 5Dsr and it doesn't have to be particularly high powered or fast either. It would address two products in one launch and also, if it's 100mp, it will be another world first / class leading product that also uses the RF lenses to their potential.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
My guess will be:
plastic body.
Simplify the controls (no touchbar - possibly omit the rear dial)
Maybe remove the articulating screen (Canon might choose to keep this if it helps differentiate it from Sony's and Nikon's equivalent cameras)
Lower resolution EVF
Maybe drop the top LCD
Use an existing sensor - either from the 6D2 or 5D4/R, whichever is cheepest to produce. I can see Canon using the same sensor as the R here unless the cost to manufacture is prohibitive at this price point.

No touch bar, no top LCD not necessarily cons IMO, that 6d2 sensor however got to go.

Upvote 0
By categories, do you mean sales? Because that is what decides whether Canon is doomed or not. Sony holds about a 14% market share. Fact. How about a link to the research to which you refer? Here are some facts for you below:
https://photorumors.com/2018/07/22/bcn-ranking-japan-canon-is-1-in-the-mirrorless-market-for-2018/

If you are talking strictly mirrorless, Sony is quickly losing market share. https://www.videomaker.com/canon-and-nikon-are-taking-the-mirrorless-market-share-from-sony-in-japan
A remedial reading course might be in the offering for you. Your first link collected NO DATA whatsoever on Sony or Fuji. Your second link starts off with "Now Sony holds just 67% percent of the market." Just 67%? Sounds like the majority of the market to me, unless you're operating on a different base numbering system.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
A remedial reading course might be in the offering for you. Your first link collected NO DATA whatsoever on Sony or Fuji. Your second link starts off with "Now Sony holds just 67% percent of the market." Just 67%? Sounds like the majority of the market to me, unless you're operating on a different base numbering system.
Um, yeah. 67% of a market that 3 months before was 99.9% (FF mirrorless). It isn't really that hard to understand. Trying to go slow for you. Sony only led where there was zero competition. Fuji has no FF mirrorless camera, so why compare that to Sony, Nikon, and Canon in the FF mirrorless market? You were talking about professionals like yourself (FF pros) leaving Canon for Sony, right? Lets not muddy the water. If you'd like to compare overall world wide market share for all mirrorless... Canon stomps both. In fact, Canon stomps everyone.

Maybe this helps: Canon has captured 0% of the M4/3 market. Feel better?

Sony: Abysmal market share, in a shrinking market, losing market share.

Here, this includes Sony on Sony's home turf: https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-1-in-japanese-market-share-for-both-dslr-and-mirrorless-in-2018/

Then there's this ranking of world wide market share way back in August before Canon ever enters the FF mirrorless market: https://photorumors.com/2018/08/01/...ket-share-latest-nikkei-bcn-and-cipa-reports/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
A remedial reading course might be in the offering for you. Your first link collected NO DATA whatsoever on Sony or Fuji.
BCN collects data in all sales for 2/3 of the Japanese retail market. They only report the top 3 sellers in their rankings. So they fact that you don’t see Sony/Fuji listed does not mean data weren’t collected, it means the data show that neither Sony nor Fuji managed to make it into the top 3.

I don’t know if remedial thinking courses are offered anywhere, but that may be something for you to look into.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
Is the EOS RP going to be a lower end FF camera or a pro one? I would guess that it is going to be the lower end FF. I think they will announce two comamera bodies one to be released in late Q1 or early Q2 and another body for release in Q3 or Q4 and seven lenses (2) 24-70mm lenses w/maybe f2.8 and f4 one L lens one non L, 85 mm f2.8 L, 100mm f2.8 non L, 70-200mm f2.8-3.5, 50mm f1.8, and 24mm f2 at various release dates throughout the year.

Upvote 0
Hmm, go where :unsure:, Sony is not that perfect either, the a7RIII and a7III still lack a good video AF and ergonomics. Such a hard decision to make.

It must be an outlook thing - opimist versus pessimist, perhaps. I look at all the camera gear on the market and think how amazing it is, if only I had the money to buy it all. Any camera will do most things pretty well. All have deficiencies. But to feel oneself uncatered for... what a shame. (If you are seeking perfection, I can tell you now: you will never find it).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
It must be an outlook thing - opimist versus pessimist, perhaps. I look at all the camera gear on the market and think how amazing it is, if only I had the money to buy it all. Any camera will do most things pretty well. All have deficiencies. But to feel oneself uncatered for... what a shame. (If you are seeking perfection, I can tell you now: you will never find it).
You have to pick your priorities. For me it's color, menus and ergonomics (lens choices goes without saying) You can't have everything so....

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Handheld with the R in unbelievable! The image stabilization and autofocus is SUPERB! I don't mind the crop at all! The 4K footage is gorgeous.
Great video, I had much fun to watch it. Interestingly your post is a sort of minority report about those not complaining about the 4K crop and lack of IBIS. But obviously you are a skilled photographer/videographer and not a spec list slave. Thanks for your nice post bringing a bit of real photog life in here.

Upvote 0
I understand identifying with the brand you shoot with and cheering it on or whatever, but dang things just get nasty when reality is ignored at the expense of justifying “your” brand. This is nasty, fugly thread.

I don’t care what Canon’s rumored to be doing, but if they’re up to anything other than creating a far more impressive FF mirrorless camera than the EOS R, they’re in big trouble. We can pretend hat the EOS R is anything we want to—but to Canon, it has got to be an internal embarrassment. The result of not taking FF mirrorless seriously, decades of hubris, and finally getting run over by every other manufacturer selling the same kind of product (including one that hasn’t even released their first FF MILC yet).

To make excuses or come up with alternative facts to support the EOS R as a misunderstood success is the worst thing you can do if you’re a true Canon fan. This, right now, should be the moment you stop making excuses for Canon and demand that they release something that is unquestionably better than the competition. A camera that needs exactly zero excuses, explanations, or extended handholding sessions in order to be seen as “good enough” or “superior.” I try to remain brand agnostic—but looking at all the cameras I’ve owned over the last 25 years you might think I was a Canon loyalist. However, I don’t see corporations as worthy places to park too much sentiment, nor vessels worthy of heavily emotionally investing in. Because they’re, uh, filthy corporations. :)

Still, it’s fair to have both preference and hopes/expectations for a brand. And it (can) make the gear side of things more fun. But! If any of you give half a rat’s ažž about Canon, you better be hoping that they are in full-out panic mode right now, developing the EOS Round Two. Aside from the EOS R not being competitive in any single category but ergonomics and AF, sorta (it is undeniably behind—if not significantly—in categories like all-around sensor performance, all-around video performance, now-essential features like IBIS, in high MP capability, burst rate, um...2.2 fps max for AE/AF in C-RAW?... battery life, and the important bread and butter—not trophy-- lens options) they are also charging more for a camera that is comparatively severely lacking. I’m not saying the EOS R is lacking, in a different time and place it could’ve been the greatest camera ever released, and for some of you it is... I’m saying COMPARATIVELY it is lacking. (If you can’t hold this concept in you’re head then just stop reading.)

IMO, the best way to judge how a camera is doing is to look at gray market values. They cut through all the marketing BS, fluffed up “sales” numbers, past and future expectations (and even perceived availability or supply). Almost a year after its release, you still cannot find a new a7III for even 10% off its MRP. And, just over three months since the EOS R’s release date, it’s selling for a full 20% off its MRP ray market. The Nikon Z6 is around the 10% mark.

Okay, so Canon didn’t take the EOS R seriously. Fine. Who cares. Life goes on. What matters is what they do next. If it’s a watered down EOS R (which pains me to even think about) that’s more than a bad sign, and quite frankly not even believable.

If, however, it’s the camera everyone here knows Canon CAN make, at an un-Canon-like competitive price, then all the silly “doom and gloom” talk can be shelved. Making excuses for Canon and weaving tales to justify shortcomings is exactly the same behavior that enabled American car manufacturers to produce some of the worst cars on the planet—ultimately resulting in losing ownership of these American companies to foreign investment and takeovers. Just hold Canon responsible if you truly care about them and want to see better products.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I understand identifying with the brand you shoot with and cheering it on or whatever, but dang things just get nasty when reality is ignored at the expense of justifying “your” brand. This is nasty, fugly thread.

I don’t care what Canon’s rumored to be doing, but if they’re up to anything other than creating a far more impressive FF mirrorless camera than the EOS R, they’re in big trouble.
Why are you so obsessed with this mirrorless fad anyway?

What I would like to see is cheaper FF cameras, and I don't care if they are mirrorless or not, except that the mirrorless can be made cheaper.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

I don’t care what Canon’s rumored to be doing, but if they’re up to anything other than creating a far more impressive FF mirrorless camera than the EOS R, they’re in big trouble. We can pretend hat the EOS R is anything we want to—but to Canon, it has got to be an internal embarrassment. The result of not taking FF mirrorless seriously, decades of hubris, and finally getting run over by every other manufacturer selling the same kind of product (including one that hasn’t even released their first FF MILC yet).

To make excuses or come up with alternative facts to support the EOS R as a misunderstood success is the worst thing you can do if you’re a true Canon fan. This, right now, should be the moment you stop making excuses for Canon and demand that they release something that is unquestionably better than the competition. A camera that needs exactly zero excuses, explanations, or extended handholding sessions in order to be seen as “good enough” or “superior.” I try to remain brand agnostic—but looking at all the cameras I’ve owned over the last 25 years you might think I was a Canon loyalist. However, I don’t see corporations as worthy places to park too much sentiment, nor vessels worthy of heavily emotionally investing in. Because they’re, uh, filthy corporations. :)

Still, it’s fair to have both preference and hopes/expectations for a brand. And it (can) make the gear side of things more fun. But! If any of you give half a rat’s ažž about Canon, you better be hoping that they are in full-out panic mode right now, developing the EOS Round Two. Aside from the EOS R not being competitive in any single category but ergonomics and AF, sorta (it is undeniably behind—if not significantly—in categories like all-around sensor performance, all-around video performance, now-essential features like IBIS, in high MP capability, burst rate, um...2.2 fps max for AE/AF in C-RAW?... battery life, and the important bread and butter—not trophy-- lens options) they are also charging more for a camera that is comparatively severely lacking. I’m not saying the EOS R is lacking, in a different time and place it could’ve been the greatest camera ever released, and for some of you it is... I’m saying COMPARATIVELY it is lacking. (If you can’t hold this concept in you’re head then just stop reading.)

IMO, the best way to judge how a camera is doing is to look at gray market values. They cut through all the marketing BS, fluffed up “sales” numbers, past and future expectations (and even perceived availability or supply). Almost a year after its release, you still cannot find a new a7III for even 10% off its MRP. And, just over three months since the EOS R’s release date, it’s selling for a full 20% off its MRP ray market. The Nikon Z6 is around the 10% mark.

Okay, so Canon didn’t take the EOS R seriously. Fine. Who cares. Life goes on. What matters is what they do next. If it’s a watered down EOS R (which pains me to even think about) that’s more than a bad sign, and quite frankly not even believable.

If, however, it’s the camera everyone here knows Canon CAN make, at an un-Canon-like competitive price, then all the silly “doom and gloom” talk can be shelved. Making excuses for Canon and weaving tales to justify shortcomings is exactly the same behavior that enabled American car manufacturers to produce some of the worst cars on the planet—ultimately resulting in losing ownership of these American companies to foreign investment and takeovers. Just hold Canon responsible if you truly care about them and want to see better products.
Yes, things can get fugly when people ignore reality. For example, you’ve ignored the reality that price is influenced by both demand and supply, and manufacturers control one of those two. More importantly, you’ve ignored the reality that in Japan, the only market for which we have data, the EOS R has sold well, and Canon is the top seller of MILCs. You’re also ignoring the reality that FF MILCs really don’t matter much – smaller sensor cameras wildly outsell FF models, so suggesting that Canon will be ‘in big trouble’ for not focusing on outspec-ing other FF MILCs is ridiculous.

Most importantly, you’re completely ignoring the reality of history. Many of the comments on this forum (yours included) and elsewhere regarding the EOS R differ only from the comments about the EOS M at launch by that one letter – R instead of M. The M was underspec’d. The M had few native lenses. Canon wasn’t serious about the EOS M. The M was a fail and if Canon didn’t come out with an uber-spec Sony-killer they would be ‘in big trouble’. A few years later, Canon became #1 in MILC sales, they remain the top seller today, and that is entirely due to the bashed-at-launch EOS M line.

Do you know who seems to have correctly predicted the forthcoming dominance of the EOS M line at launch? Sony. When Canon entered the MILC market with an APS-C camera, Sony dropped NEX and cut back on their APS-C offerings, shifting their focus to FF MILCs. The question now —and it’s a serious question Sony users should be asking given that company’s history of exiting market segments where they lost competitiveness— is what will Sony do if Canon FF MILC line gains the same level of market dominance which their APS-C line has achieved.

TL;DR: threads can get fugly when people ignore reality...as you’ve done here.

Upvote 0
Why are you so obsessed with this mirrorless fad anyway?

What I would like to see is cheaper FF cameras, and I don't care if they are mirrorless or not, except that the mirrorless can be made cheaper.
That is pretty much what I think about it too and I have never felt handicapped by a mechanism that is only there to allow me to look through the lens. For me it does not matter whether the camera is mirrorless or not, as long as it is enjoyable to use and is capable of achieving the results I expect. However, I accept that other people feel differently and some photographers are really hopeful that Canon will soon release a range of attractive and advanced mirrorless products.

Upvote 0