Is the Canon EOS RP the next camera up?

It make sense if Canon come out a camera with a simple function such as:

- removed top LCD
- no “Touch Bar”
- 6D2 sensor
- lighter weigh
- smaller body

This will be ideal camera for street photographers indeed packed with a smaller, lighter weight body. If there is such camera out to the market, it might probably competing against Fuji X series camera.

Cheers~

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Hey, you know P could really mean professional. It could well be a development announcement - although I hate the name and as a wedding tog 'P for professional' isn't the kind of cheesy comment I wish to be reminded of.

I actually disagree there's going to be a lower entry point body at this stage, there can't be with such a small number of lenses available. Who's going to buy it? Soccer moms with two kit lenses? The current R model is pro enough to act as a test bed for semi pro's and pro's alike who already have a good few lenses.

Trying to smash the budget market seems silly. But that's just my 2c's, happy to be wrong.

We should see a pro body this year, even if it's something like a high mp R replacement rather than a 5D+ level camera. I really can't see Canon holding off for 12 months.

it will be available in three colours, apparently. unlikely a Pro level camera then.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
My guess: they will release a cheap EOS R around may at around 1500$. Its hard to imagine what they could do to make the EOS R even worse, but my guess will be: lower resolution, even slower, less AF features and 4k features will be absolutely not better. Maybe remove the top display and the touch bar to have some weird disadvantegs over the EOS R. Maybe add 3 colors (red and white) to the body to give it an even more consumer feel.

At the end of 2019 they may come around with 4 additional lenses and finaly a professional EOS R. If we are lucky they will include a 30mp+ sensor, dual cards and a 4k mode with "only" 1,3x crop factor and still a crippled codec and no ibis. By this time Sony may have released their a7r iv with 4k raw or even 6k and 50mp or something....

Please do us a favour: spend your leisure time on the Wonderful Sony forum and stop preaching stupidities!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
If the roadmap based on leaks goes like:

EOS R --> EOS RP (cheaper model) --> EOR Rs (high resolution model) --> EOS Rx (1dxII equivalent) --> EOS Rd (5D series equivalent)

I'm going to switch to Sony, I cannot wait for canon to release a mirrorless 5D series body for 2-3 years. Bad decision as far as release schedule is concerned.

I'm considering Panasonic more. Sony has all the latest tech but usability is a mess - ergonomic and EVF is horrible. I tried their best A7RIII/A9 and it wasn't as great as the EOS R. The A7III is worst. Maybe that will change in the 7ASIII.

Here is the rumor Panasonic specs and Sigma is making EF-L adapter. I doubt Canon will make a camera like this for $2000. I'll wait until June to see if Canon can deliver a professional camera by then and if not, I'm changing camera but adapting my EF lens. Same goes for Sony.

Panasonic Lumix S1:
  • 24MP full frame Sensor (Could be Same Sensor on Nikon Z6& Sony a7 III)
  • 4K 60p/50p video recording
  • Dual I.S. image stabilization
  • Contrast AF (DFD technology)
  • Newly-developed image processing engine
  • Highest resolution EVF in the industry
  • Dual memory card slots: XQD memory card and UHS-II SD memory card
  • Rugged triaxial tilt LCD
  • L mount
  • Top LCD screen
  • 3-axis tiltable LCD screen.
  • Weather sealing
  • The AF also includes deep learning Ai
  • High-precision, high-speed shutter
  • RAW output video rumors
  • High Resolution mode & HLG Photo
  • Specially designed grip
  • Shipping is in late March, 2019
  • Price: Around $2,000 for Body only
I'm not sure why Canon and Sony fan boy are so protective of their camera choice. It's just a tool and just use whatever it's best for you.
  • If Intel isn't providing great performance/value, I'll switch AMD.
  • If iPhone doesn't provide great features, I switched to Android etc.
  • Same goes for MAC & PC debate etc.
I will stop making it an emotional decision to stay with Canon and making a logical one that give me the best features and value that I want.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chines

EOS R6
Sep 20, 2017
Would it be possible that P stands for 'Portable'?
If they start naming without numbers now the P will have to have a meaning in future versions -> P = Portable = No built in EVF, but a hot shoe adapter available separate.

Make the Canon EOS RP exactly the same as the eos R without the EVF and maybe drop one control element (touch bar). Make the MSRP 1799 (vs 2299 for the normal R) and sell a EVF adapter for 499. The 'street price' of the normal R will be about 2k, the street price of the RP 1500. It's cheap in R&D, could get a lot of users and would not be upsetting to any existing users. The high volume of 5D IV sensor can easily make this work even with cheaper prices in about a year. And at that point it is actually a decent offering: 1500 for a 5D IV sensor?

Going to future EOS R cameras (with number naming like EOS R 5, EOS R 6, ...) we could see a P version of nearly every of these cameras. Would make them super attractive for causula shooters or Vloggers.

Edit: It also fit's perfectly with the new accessory. Low level cameras are usually super cheap and in multiple colors => 3 colors of EVF adpaters matching the camera bodies

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Pfttt. Who says pros are in a rush for it right now? What is doomed are the "Canon is doomed" comments.
Never said "...pros were in a rush for it...", you inferred that without reading the entire sentence and not knowing the facts. In fact, pros, such as Geoff Ross, Colby Brown, Suzy Pratt, Francisco Hernandez, and myself, have been shifting to Sonys' pro (read: a9) mirrorless bodies. So too have many others; do a google search and you'll see the facts. The prosumer crowd might follow suit, and then Canon will feel the pinch. I hope not, as I have been a dedicated Canon user since 1983 and still use my Canon pro bodies on a regular basis, whilst hoping for a pro version of the R.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
So, you used it a couple of minutes at a tradeshow and knew it was crap.
Yet you own an “unhandy” 1DX II and a “incredible bad” 4k 5D. Didn’t try those before you bought them?
The 5D must be the mark IV with the same 4K video crop, so why did you buy that?

I don’t have the illusion I can teach you stuff though, without some form of common sense the learning curve would be too steep.
Bought the 1DX II for video (where it is fine, but only if you dont plan to shoot a lot, since the data rate is insane).
Bought the 5d IV for photography, (where it is fine, unless you need more resolution or speed)

Right now we do a lot of video production where we need to shoot a lot of footage in a studio. Right now we stick to full-hd, but (as you probably now) the quality of the 1d and 5d in fullhd is pretty bad (when compared 1:1 to Lumix gh4 or gh5 or sony a7 whatever in full-hd mode). We would love to change to 4k, but that would leave us with about 1,5tb of data per day (so about 5tb if you consider 2 workstations and one backup). This is not okay for us.
So this leaves me this option, if I want to stick to canon:
I buy 2 Canon C200 for 20.000$ in total and keeep my 1dx II and 5d iv (and 5d iii backup) (4.000 and 2000$).
Or I sell my 3 cameras for 7.000$, spend 6.000$ on 2 sony a7r III and got 2 photo cameras that are way more capabable and also way better on the video front (since I dont realy need the 60fps4k of the 1dx II).

But please, feel free to explain to me, what exactly canon offers, If you need to produce 4k footage. Maybe I am missing an option. Or maybe, canon just totaly neglected this market (and we need at least a little bit of depth of field, so camcorders are not an option). At least I cant see anything that is remotely affordable to run 4k productions. I would even be fine with full-hd, if the compression wasnt THAT bad on the 5d iv and 1dx ii...

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...But please, feel free to explain to me, what exactly canon offers, If you need to produce 4k footage. Maybe I am missing an option. Or maybe, canon just totaly neglected this market (and we need at least a little bit of depth of field, so camcorders are not an option). At least I cant see anything that is remotely affordable to run 4k productions. I would even be fine with full-hd, if the compression wasnt THAT bad on the 5d iv and 1dx ii...

It sounds to me like you need something that Canon doesn't offer. The obvious answer is buy the brand that offers what you need. Complaining on a Canon forum isn't going to change anything. Not every product or brand is perfect for everyone.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Never said "...pros were in a rush for it...", you inferred that without reading the entire sentence and not knowing the facts. In fact, pros, such as Geoff Ross, Colby Brown, Suzy Pratt, Francisco Hernandez, and myself, have been shifting to Sonys' pro (read: a9) mirrorless bodies. So too have many others; do a google search and you'll see the facts. The prosumer crowd might follow suit, and then Canon will feel the pinch. I hope not, as I have been a dedicated Canon user since 1983 and still use my Canon pro bodies on a regular basis, whilst hoping for a pro version of the R.
Okay, that's a half dozen of you. Never heard of any of you, so I don't understand the name dropping. Influencers? Probably not. Hmmmm... wonder if I could find a half dozen Sony users who've switched to Canon. Harder to do because there are far fewer Sony users. That's a fact. The biggest fact is that "Pros" are not nearly as large a market as amateurs and enthusiasts (Who buy the lion's share of "pro" gear). As such, Canon would feel the pinch, or lack of pinch from there, in a more significant way. Since Sony is not making any significant market gains, I can safely assume that it is more tickle than pinch.

"Canon might be doomed indeed." If you meant that, then that seems to infer to me that you think Canon had better hurry because Canon is losing ground in a hurry with the Pro market. Your anecdotal list proves nothing, really. That's a fact.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
It sounds to me like you need something that Canon doesn't offer. The obvious answer is buy the brand that offers what you need. Complaining on a Canon forum isn't going to change anything. Not every product or brand is perfect for everyone.
I personaly have the hope that exactly that will help. Many brands (canon included) does listen to the needs of their customers, especialy of their professional users.

But maybe I fall into a niche - but I think the niche "photographer that also do 4k video production with under 30k budget" may be niche big enough for canon to fill.

Anyway, if Canon wont announce ANYTHING that may fill that gap, I will switch to 2 Sony a7r III - which is even cheaper than getting one c200 and may also benefit my photography related work with silent shutter, a smaller body and a higher resolution.

Upvote 0
The revenue share of a "pro" body like the EOS-1D X Mark II vs something like the EOS 6D Mark II is night and day. One retailer told me that they sold the EOS 6D at a rate of 1000 to 1 vs the EOS-1D X/EOS-1D X Mark II (it could be even higher globally). I also don't see pros dumping their EOS-1D X bodies and needing to adapt EF lenses. More RF mount lenses have to come first.
Agreed. The suite of RF lenses needs to be on par with the EF line or there be signs of that coming in short time (<1 yr).

Sales numbers aside, I never said that 5D bodies weren't pro bodies; I have a 5D Mk III and 5DSR which I use frequently. (The 5DSR rivals my a7RIII for portraiture, glamour, and nudes—but does not beat it—and excels in landscapes, so I do not see my dropping them anytime soon.)

Upvote 0
Okay, that's a half dozen of you. Never heard of any of you, so I don't understand the name dropping. Influencers? Probably not. Hmmmm... wonder if I could find a half dozen Sony users who've switched to Canon. Harder to do because there are far fewer Sony users. That's a fact. The biggest fact is that "Pros" are not nearly as large a market as amateurs and enthusiasts (Who buy the lion's share of "pro" gear). As such, Canon would feel the pinch, or lack of pinch from there, in a more significant way. Since Sony is not making any significant market gains, I can safely assume that it is more tickle than pinch.

"Canon might be doomed indeed." If you meant that, then that seems to infer to me that you think Canon had better hurry because Canon is losing ground in a hurry with the Pro market. Your anecdotal list proves nothing, really. That's a fact.

Do you understand what the meaning of the word "might" is? It's a chance, not a certainty. On the other hand, look at the market share Sony now has—they've outsold Nikon in all areas and trumped Canon in all categories save for pro-bodies. Check Gartner Group research and then back to us with "facts."

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Do you understand what the meaning of the word "might" is? It's a chance, not a certainty. On the other hand, look at the market share Sony now has—they've outsold Nikon in all areas and trumped Canon in all categories save for pro-bodies. Check Gartner Group research and then back to us with "facts."
By categories, do you mean sales? Because that is what decides whether Canon is doomed or not. Sony holds about a 14% market share. Fact. How about a link to the research to which you refer? Here are some facts for you below:
https://photorumors.com/2018/07/22/bcn-ranking-japan-canon-is-1-in-the-mirrorless-market-for-2018/

If you are talking strictly mirrorless, Sony is quickly losing market share. https://www.videomaker.com/canon-and-nikon-are-taking-the-mirrorless-market-share-from-sony-in-japan

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I personaly have the hope that exactly that will help. Many brands (canon included) does listen to the needs of their customers, especialy of their professional users.
Sure they do. They send surveys to consumers. They gather data from product registrations. For professional feedback, they survey CPS members, gather informal feedback at events they sponsor, etc. But any yokel can post on a forum claiming to be a pro Canon shooter in desperate need of this, that or the other...and while I doubt Canon even bothers considering feedback on their own forum much less this one, if they do they likely give it the credence it deserves – none. If you want to share your opinion with Canon, this isn’t the place.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
Would it be possible that P stands for 'Portable'?
If they start naming without numbers now the P will have to have a meaning in future versions -> P = Portable = No built in EVF, but a hot shoe adapter available separate.

Make the Canon EOS RP exactly the same as the eos R without the EVF and maybe drop one control element (touch bar). Make the MSRP 1799 (vs 2299 for the normal R) and sell a EVF adapter for 499. The 'street price' of the normal R will be about 2k, the street price of the RP 1500. It's cheap in R&D, could get a lot of users and would not be upsetting to any existing users. The high volume of 5D IV sensor can easily make this work even with cheaper prices in about a year. And at that point it is actually a decent offering: 1500 for a 5D IV sensor?

Going to future EOS R cameras (with number naming like EOS R 5, EOS R 6, ...) we could see a P version of nearly every of these cameras. Would make them super attractive for causula shooters or Vloggers.

Edit: It also fit's perfectly with the new accessory. Low level cameras are usually super cheap and in multiple colors => 3 colors of EVF adpaters matching the camera bodies
It sounds likely EG-1E is really optional electric viewfinder for new R camera.
removing viewfinder makes it lot flatter so P could be Pancake or Pocket too

Upvote 0