Is The Cinema EOS C400 The Next Cinema Camera from Canon? [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’re told that the next cinema camera will be the “Cinema EOS C400”. This camera will not be a replacement for the C300 Mark II or the C500, it will be an additional camera to the lineup.</p>
<p>Specifications and announcement date are unknown at the present, but we hope to hear more soon.</p>

<p>Speaking of the Cinema EOS C500, we have not heard anything about a replacement for this camera, I’m wondering if they’re holding the name for a cinema camera above 4.5K.</p>
<p><em>More to come…</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Etienne said:
CarlMillerPhoto said:
The C100 Mark II is due for a replacement in the next 6 months. I really hope we see a C100 Mark III instead of a C400.

+1 Here's to hoping they do it up right. Or at least do it.
I suspect that the Sony FS5 Mark II will come first

With Sony's pace, definitely, despite the fact that FS5 came out 5 months after the C100 II.

Canon should just take the C200, chop the raw functionality off, and stick it in a C100 body. So basically a C100 II that has touch screen DPAF, 4k internal, and maybe a 120fps 1080p option. They don't have to change anything else as far as I'm concerned. An iterative improvement, nothing revolutionary. Even the original C100 from 2012 was reading a 4k signal and down-scaling internally. I usually roll my eyes at people who threaten to change brands, but if Canon thinks all C100 users are going to migrate to the C200 they're crazy.

Upvote 0
CarlMillerPhoto said:
Etienne said:
CarlMillerPhoto said:
The C100 Mark II is due for a replacement in the next 6 months. I really hope we see a C100 Mark III instead of a C400.

+1 Here's to hoping they do it up right. Or at least do it.
I suspect that the Sony FS5 Mark II will come first

With Sony's pace, definitely, despite the fact that FS5 came out 5 months after the C100 II.

Canon should just take the C200, chop the raw functionality off, and stick it in a C100 body. So basically a C100 II that has touch screen DPAF, 4k internal, and maybe a 120fps 1080p option. They don't have to change anything else as far as I'm concerned. An iterative improvement, nothing revolutionary. Even the original C100 from 2012 was reading a 4k signal and down-scaling internally. I usually roll my eyes at people who threaten to change brands, but if Canon thinks all C100 users are going to migrate to the C200 they're crazy.

They should move the LCD forward on the camera too.
The C100 mk II vs FS5 mk II will decide whether I switch brands or not. As you say, at Sony's pace .... I'll probably be switching to FS5 mkII + A7s3

Upvote 0

robotfist

Cinematographer/Photographer - Canon C300 III
Oct 23, 2017
Los Angeles
If the C400 ends up being a combo of the C200 & the C300 II, then I'll order it immediately. The C300 II is great but the ergonomics are off (too top heavy and a little too big) and it lacks high frame rates without cropping the sensor. The C200 has the ergonomics and the uncropped frame rates, but lacks the middle codec that makes it broadcast worthy.

I can see the C400 filling this gap. If Canon plays their cards right (which they rarely seem to do), the C400 could be the best EOS Cinema camera ever made and even possibly the best CINEMA camera ever made, period. It could feasibly beat out Arri and Red for many shoots where a small compact cinema camera is needed.

I hope they announce it sooner than later. I am underwhelmed by what I'm seeing from the EVA1 and the only mode worth shooting on the C200 is RAW, which is too much to deal with for most shoots. The FS7 remains the most capable middle ground cinema camera out there, but it's big, awkward and has that weird, Sony color science, which only looks good in certain shooting situations. I thought Canon would take the crown with the C200, but it seems to me they are waiting to do that with the C400. The C200 is a bit of a stop-gap and the C400 will probably be the camera many of us have been waiting for.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
AvTvM said:
James Larsen said:
I just wish they'd be working on more video stuff in their DSLR's lol

exactly the opposite. I just wish people who want to capture video would turn to video cameras instead of constantly clamoring for more video capabilities in cameras that are not well suited to capture video. :)

Exactly the opposite of that- I empathize with the OP. It would be nice if Canon could truly satisfy the demands of the hybrid shooter. C100s and 300s are not known for their stills. The 1DXII is too big for EDC. The 5DIV 4K capabilities are uninspiring. A 5DC with FF 4K, efficient codec and high frame rate at 1080p (120p or greater) would be perfect.

However, I have a feeling the first time we will see any of these capabilities in a Canon stills camera will be in the new Canon FF Mirrorless coming (supposedly) in 2018.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
James Larsen said:

exactly the opposite. I just wish people who want to capture video would turn to video cameras instead of constantly clamoring for more video capabilities in cameras that are not well suited to capture video. :)

Personally, I'm not a fan of using a larger camera that draws more attention, and doesn't perform well with run and gun work. But if that's what you're into, then who am I to pee in your cornflakes.

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
crazyrunner33 said:
AvTvM said:
James Larsen said:

Personally, I'm not a fan of using a larger camera that draws more attention, and doesn't perform well with run and gun work. But if that's what you're into, then who am I to pee in your cornflakes.

It would be nice if they made a version of the XC 15 with an EF mount instead of a fixed lens. Plus better menus. It would work well for run and gun work and shots in tight spaces. They’d sell a ton of those if they just made those two changes. The XC 10 and 15 are nearly worthless as they stand now. Could have been a nice compliment to the system. Alas...

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
CanonGrunt said:
crazyrunner33 said:
AvTvM said:
James Larsen said:

It would be nice if they made a version of the XC 15 with an EF mount instead of a fixed lens. Plus better menus. It would work well for run and gun work and shots in tight spaces. They’d sell a ton of those if they just made those two changes. The XC 10 and 15 are nearly worthless as they stand now. Could have been a nice compliment to the system. Alas...

Agreed. If they made these with EF mount they'd sell many.... Of course, they won't because that would eat into Cinema EOS sales. They'd rather people turn to competitors' 4K video offerings than to cannibalize their own products.

Upvote 0
A new Cinema camera is welcome but rather than going higher and higher in the resolution or fps counts, I'd like to see Canon realize that 32, 36, 48, and 72fps are also very valuable frame rates to today's filmmakers and shooters. Even 18, 12, and 6fps have their uses in certain situations. Why are we stuck with only 3 frame rate choices (C100m2) in this age???

Upvote 0