Is the EF-S 35mm f/1.8 coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

franky03

Thank you Traveller!!!
You summed it up very nicely!!!
;)
Please everyone! Email Canon about this if you care... that's what I did.
Although I doubt that my single letter will change anything, if they receive a couple thousands maybe it will!
Here was their answer:

Thank you for your E-mail inquiry regarding your Canon EOS Rebel T2i Digital Camera.

It is only through our customers comments and suggestions that we are able to manufacture quality products that our customers will be able to use on a consistent basis. The fact that you took the time to write to us is indeed appreciated. Please be assured that your comments have been forwarded to the appropriate Department for their information and review.

In addition to the EF 35mm F2 lens, we also manufacturer an EF 35mm F1.4L USM lens for your consideration. I have included a link below for you to review, which outlines this product.

http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/products?m=gp&pid=2274

Should you require further assistance, please feel free to email us or visit our customer support website at http://www.canon.ca

Sincerely,

Mike B.
Technical Support Representative
Customer Information Centre
Canon Canada Inc."

Upvote 0
franky03 said:
match14 said:
If an EF-S prime is coming then it should be a 30mm f/1.4 ;) not a 35mm f1.8 :mad:

That would be nice but would the price be right?
The 35mm f1.4 sells for over 1500$ ... that's almost twice of my T2i body!!!

I don't think they could realistically charge more than $500 for a non L wide prime, especially if it was EF-S. If EF, there is no way it would be faster than f/1.8, it would make no sense on Canons part. But if EF-S, there could at least be a shred of hope, as being EF-S would prevent a majority of cannibalization of 35/1.4L sales.

Upvote 0
match14 said:
If an EF-S prime is coming then it should be a 30mm f/1.4 ;) not a 35mm f1.8 :mad:

An f/1.4 lens would be quite a bit more expensive than an f/1.8 lens: compare the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 to the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 (O.K. the Sigma has better build quality as well).

Canon should be aiming for the $185 price point of the Nikkor rather than the $440 price point of the Sigma. A Canon EF-S 35mm should be a 'no brainer', i.e. if you want a normal prime, you'll buy it on the spot. At $185 most would be willing to give it a punt, but $440 will always beg the question "but do I really need it?"

Upvote 0
S

Son of Daguerre

franky03 said:
Thank you Traveller!!!
;)
Although I doubt that my single letter will change anything, if they receive a couple thousands maybe it will!

If you want to make a difference you should use Google Translate and send off a letter to Canon Inc. in Japan...

Upvote 0
E

Edwin Herdman

Son of Daguerre said:
franky03 said:
Thank you Traveller!!!
;)

If you want to make a difference you should use Google Translate and send off a letter to Canon Inc. in Japan...
It might end up as an April Fools' announcement, but hey...worth a shot I guess. My Japanese isn't near good enough to write any letters, alas! (Not that I'm putting an emphasis on it right now; I'm pretty sure they look at letters as just one person's viewpoint, where they might be more interested if tons of people are sending those letters.)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Edwin Herdman said:
bvukich said:
I don't think they could realistically charge more than $500 for a non L wide prime, especially if it was EF-S.
Unless said prime was the MP-E 65mm...this seems like nitpicking, to be sure.

I'm not sure what the next level beyond nitpicking is, but I don't think you can call the MP-E 65mm a wide prime, can you?

However, I will pick another nit with bvukich and point out that the EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye is a non-L wide prime (the widest, in fact), and Canon does charge more than $500 for that lens.

Upvote 0
Edwin Herdman said:
bvukich said:
I don't think they could realistically charge more than $500 for a non L wide prime, especially if it was EF-S.

Ahh, but that's not a wide lens, so my statement stands. 8)

neuroanatomist said:
Edwin Herdman said:
bvukich said:

I'm not sure what the next level beyond nitpicking is, but I don't think you can call the MP-E 65mm a wide prime, can you?

However, I will pick another nit with bvukich and point out that the EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye is a non-L wide prime (the widest, in fact), and Canon does charge more than $500 for that lens.

Crap, I forgot about that one. Statement retracted. :-[

Upvote 0
E

Ed_5D

missitnoonan said:
I'd love to see a refresh of some of $300-$500 prime lenses. Currently own the 35/f2 and a MkI 50/f1.8, but would absolutely jump at refreshed 35mm and 50mm lenses with USM motors and circular aperature blades (I'm scared by the reports of faulty motors on the 50/f1.4). Unfortunately Canon doesn't seem too keen on releasing any mid-priced lenses at the moment.

I don't see any reason to go EF-S though, the EF primes are plenty small and mount on any body. Only reason I can see is to keep FF users from having a cheaper prime option.

Don't be scared of faulty motors... the EF 50mm f/1.4 is a great lens!! be scared of dropping it though ;D

Upvote 0
M

match14

traveller said:
match14 said:

An f/1.4 lens would be quite a bit more expensive than an f/1.8 lens: compare the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 to the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 (O.K. the Sigma has better build quality as well).

Canon should be aiming for the $185 price point of the Nikkor rather than the $440 price point of the Sigma. A Canon EF-S 35mm should be a 'no brainer', i.e. if you want a normal prime, you'll buy it on the spot. At $185 most would be willing to give it a punt, but $440 will always beg the question "but do I really need it?"

I see your point about f/1.8 v f/1.4, but is 30mm not closer to standard than 35mm? 30x1.6=48, 35x1.6=56.

Upvote 0
match14 said:
I see your point about f/1.8 v f/1.4, but is 30mm not closer to standard than 35mm? 30x1.6=48, 35x1.6=56.

If you go by the definition that the focal length for a normal lens should equal the diagonal, then the APS-C would have a normal lens at 27.3 mm (and the FF at 43.3 mm; 50 mm was chosen as a "standard" out of manufacturing convenience in the early 20th century)). But yes, 50mm on FF is obviously more similar to 30mm @ APS-C, but anything 25-36mm can be considered normal on the APS-C... the practice is rather arbitrary.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.