Is the EF-S 35mm f/1.8 coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

missitnoonan

I'd love to see a refresh of some of $300-$500 prime lenses. Currently own the 35/f2 and a MkI 50/f1.8, but would absolutely jump at refreshed 35mm and 50mm lenses with USM motors and circular aperature blades (I'm scared by the reports of faulty motors on the 50/f1.4). Unfortunately Canon doesn't seem too keen on releasing any mid-priced lenses at the moment.

I don't see any reason to go EF-S though, the EF primes are plenty small and mount on any body. Only reason I can see is to keep FF users from having a cheaper prime option.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ablearcher said:
neuroanatomist said:
Personally, I'm hoping for a 35mm f/1.4L II...
Same here. I would sell my Canon 28 1.8 and by the new 35L. 35mm will work better for me and i'm ready to upgrade.

Even the current 35L is a significant upgrade to the 28/1.8.

Optically, the current 35L is an excellent lens. I do think that Canon will replace it at some point in the relatively near future, primarily based on the fact that every other L-series prime lens at 100mm and shorter has either been updated or newly released in the last 4 years (14/2.8L II, 17L TSE, 24L TSE II, 24/1.4L II, 50/1.2L, 85/1.2L II, 100/2.8L Macro), but the 12 year old 35L has not been revised.

Arguably, the other lenses had 'issues' that Canon corrected with the revisions, where's it's harder to find problems with the 35L. Still, it seems due for an upgrade...

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
ageha -- I haven't used those lenses personally, but judging from Bryan's reviews over at The Digital Picture, neither of the lenses are great performers. he certainly doesn't seem satisfied with the image quality from the 28 f/1.8, and the 35 f/2 can only be described as decent for its price range.

also unfortunately, none of the sigma primes in this range are very strong performers, so the fact that they exist doesn't help the selection process much for those in need of a cheap fast wide-angle prime.

I know there's a lot of people on the forum, myself included, that would love to see Canon refresh its lineup of non-L EF wide primes

Upvote 0
M

missitnoonan

ageha said:
How is the AF of the EF 35mm f/2.0? Is it as slow as the 50mm f/1.8 mkII? What about the EF 28mm f/1.8 USM, is it considered to be a fast and sharp lens?

I've got the 35mm f/2 and can say that the reviews online are pretty accurate. The motor is slow and buzzy (but accurate). It can occasionally hunt a bit in low light, but will almost always lock on.

That being said it seems to be about the best option in the price range (overpriced as it may be) and I do like the pictures I get out of on my T1i. Works well as a small, indoor lens.

Upvote 0
F

franky03

Dear Canon, I am a proud owner of a T2i and although I have a variety of zoom lenses (and a couple of primes) I would still like to buy a prime lens that would give me the perspective of a standard lens (50mm) on a crop sensor.

Yes you have the "old" 35mm f2 for sale but it just doesnt cut it, especially concerning bokeh. Look at Nikon look at Sony! they have nice, fast and cheap 35mm! Why not you!

I took my first pictures on my fathers AE-1 programm with a 50mm f1.4... please give that possibility back to me.

Thanks,

(first post so dont be too rude!)

Upvote 0
Artisttt said:
What is the point to make new EF-S lens??? Would be much better to renew EF 35mm f/2

The point is that EF lenses are wasteful for crop cameras. EF-S can be made much smaller and cheaper. Just think of the G12 with its 28-140/2.8-4.5 lens and think how big it would be if the lens had to be EF compatible. More extreme, but same thing.

Currently, the only EF-S prime is the EF-S 60/2.8 macro. I'm sure high-quality EF-S primes in a small form factor would find its audience. Most dSLRs are not FF anyway.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
epsiloneri said:
Currently, the only EF-S prime is the EF-S 60/2.8 macro. I'm sure high-quality EF-S primes in a small form factor would find its audience. Most dSLRs are not FF anyway.

I would guess that Canon sells more of any single current Rebel model than all of the current non-Rebel bodies combined. So, as Canon develops new lenses, they have two distinct groups of customers they are designing for - 'Rebel owners' and 'everyone else'. I think that in general, prime lenses do not appeal to the 'typical' Rebel owner, unless it's billed for a specific purpose like the 60mm macro lens. Therefore, I don't expect to see new EF-S primes coming out - they'll release consumer-level zooms for the Rebel owners, and EF (mostly L) lenses for the 'everyone else' group. The other factor is that I'd venture to say that many in that 'everyone else' group with an xxD or 7D body dream/hope/plan to get a FF body at some point, further reducing the interest for EF-S lenses in that customer group.

Upvote 0
I'm saving my pennies for a 35mm prime and have been looking online for deals. (A 100-400L in July ate my entire yearly hobby budget.) Over the last month or so, the EF 35 f/2 lens seems to have gone out of stock at two retailers. One can hope that the current supply is dropping because a new lens is in the works. With newer camera models able to record video, but not able to autofocus well while recording, one can also hope that all future lenses will have decent manual focus rings and distance scales.

The two specialty EF-S lenses that I own (60mm macro and 10-22mm) work VERY well and are smaller/cheaper/lighter than comparable EF lenses would have been. But the existing 35mm f2 is already small/cheap/light so I don't see why a new lens at that focal length would be EF-S.

Upvote 0
F

franky03

TBenson said:
But the existing 35mm f2 is already small/cheap/light so I don't see why a new lens at that focal length would be EF-S.

It is small but not that cheap (350$) the Nikon sells for 200$ !!!
The Nikon is also slightly faster (f1.8 ) and has rounded blades (the Canon has only 5 blades ... so you get pentagons instead of nice round bokehs)

my 2 cents

Upvote 0
I don't buy the "no market" statement for an EF-S normal prime. Whilst this is obviously Canon's belief, or they would have already produced one (crop frame sensors have been out for a decade), the fact that virtually every other manufacturer makes one should be a give away (unless there is something different about Canon shooters). By many accounts the Nikkor 35mm AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8 G sold very well when it was first released and I think it is still a very attractive lens.

Think of it in another way, how many rebel owners buy the EF 50mm f/1.8? Whilst this has a function as a portrait lens, many users complain that it is too long for indoor use. Surely an equivalent in the 28-35mm range would therefore sell equally as well? How is it that Nikon can produce such a lens (complete with an ultrasonic motor) for not much more than the kit lens and less than the inferior Canon EF 35mm f/2?

The availability of this lens and the even better Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G (sharper and without the fragility of the equivalent EF 50mm f/1.4) is what tempts me to switch brands far more than any body does. I'm sure that the 35L and 50L are excellent, but they cost more than a brand switch and are both relatively big and heavy.

Canon are ignoring the middle of the market at their peril. The "average rebel buyer" that Neuroanatomist describes is also the kind of buyer who is happy with just the kit lens (or maybe just adds the EF-S 55-250mm). The rapid growth that has characterised the lower end of the market is starting to slow with both market saturation and the emergence of the mirrorless alternatives. Future growth is most likely to come from the middle, the very people that Canon seems to have stopped making lenses for! How many mid-market lenses have they released in the last three years? I can think of only one, the EF-S 15-85mm (two if you count the better-late-than-never and under-specced 18-200mm).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.