Is the EOS 7D Mark II the last in the 7D series? We’re told that it is [CR1]

Feb 6, 2019
this seems to cover alot ..

https://www.canonnews.com/new-rumor-the-7d-mark-iii-is-no-more

I have to agree, this makes me sad if they dump the 7D, I went from the EOS-3 to the 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 7D, to the 7D Mark II.. I have zero interest in the 80D line.
I've only shot w/ 7D and 5DII and didn't realize that 80D is a more popular camera than 7D. Now I think about it, when the 7D came out in 2009, they were closing the gap between x0D and 1D for customer satisfaction, not particularly profit margin. Perhaps now, they focus more on the R line for customer satisfaction, and then the EF line for profit margin. If that logic is true, 7D should be dropped. That yield new opportunity for the R line to have a "sport" camera @ $2000-2500 price point.

Upvote 0
But I am sure that those that like to reply "go to Nikon then" to posters who write about relative advantages of the Nikon D500, will be quite content to read this.

That depends: will you switch to Nikon and leave well enough alone, or switch and continue hanging around here beating the drum?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
This is one reason why I don't believe the rumor. While I usually do an eye-roll when people threaten "I'm switching..." I do think this is a reasonable concern that Canon is surely aware of. Several thoughts (some conflicting)

• For birders, it's all about the lenses and unless you have the means to buy a $7,000+ big white lens, Nikon, Sigma and Tamron offer the only options over 400mm. My point is that the camera body is really just an accessory for the lens, so switching camera brands is not as big of a deal as it might be in other cases. On top of that, the cost of travel is often a much bigger investment than the equipment. All that means that these buyers are less bound to Canon than others.
  • It's very hard to move customers downward, as Canon found with the 50D to 60D move. So, the 90D would need to be a significant upgrade in fps, ergonomics and durability to hold on to customers.
  • On the other hand, I have found the higher megapixel count, improved autofocus, additional f8 focus points and improved low-light performance of the 5DIV to often overcome the lack of reach and slower fps when compared to the 7DII. (I find the buffer a bigger problem than the slower frame rate.) In the back of my mind, I've thought that if the 5D series ever gets to about 35mp, it would pretty much eliminate my desire for the 7D. However, we are a generation or more away from that happening.
  • Nikon tried abandoning this market and eventually found they had to come back to it in a costly way in order to retain and try to win back customers. I find it hard to believe that Canon would repeat the same mistake.
  • Canon would need to have one heck of a lot of improvements in their mirrorless bodies to compete with the 7D and I don't think the technology is there yet, so I find that option implausible.

Send an email to Canon and remind them about that

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Of course we’ll be disappointed. People aren’t going to pay 7D money for 80D camera. I hope I’m wrong.

I need a new 7D, and it would be better if EOS R line offer 7D alternative
And I hope, Canon is offering something useful, maybe not at 7D II level (AF, speed, built, sealing), but maybe close to that.
Of course hope dies last ...

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I'm a bit surprised. I was expecting a 7DIII and if the sensor was better than the current one I would have been tempted.
The current sensor is only mediocre but the focusing system was good and its very well built.
I've been very hard on my one in all sorts of weather conditions for sports shooting and its been extremely reliable.
I'm surprised I haven't worn out the shutter.
I can understand smaller and lighter for many things but for outdoor all weather conditions I want something robust and well sealed.
I use it with a 300 2.8 II, 100-400 II and 70-200 II and they all need the weight of the 7DII to have a good balanced feel.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
Totally discouraging. My 7DMII has 350,000 clicks and has been to every continent and a picture from it currently hangs in the Nature's Best exhibit in the Smithsonian. It's a workhorse and takes any abuse and lets me handhold my 100-400 II and get equivalent pictures of shooting with a 600 mm lens on a FF body which I could never manage weight wise. I guess I'll buy a new one while I still can and wait to see what unfolds over the next several years.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
I'm not buying it.

1) Canon has invested millions of dollars in the technology behind the 7D series. It' very
unlike a Japanese company to go bonkers and leave all that technology without current representation.

2) There is no substitute for the OVF...yet. Most 7D users are very picky on this subject.
A move like this would alienate a good number of hardcore Canon customers with a ton of EF
lenses that work superbly with a traditional OVF, not an EVF.

3) It would eliminate the natural upgrade path to the 5D series.
Both bodies are very much alike. The feel like a brick. Buttons are almost in the same place.
In fact, it's not rare to see photographers and photojournalists out in the wild with a 5D in one hand
and a 7D on a shoulder sling.

4) The market is small, but it's still there. Nikon's D500 should be the mark to beat, not your own 1DX.
Arguably, Nikon's model is one of the better camera's they've released in the last decade.

5) Mirror slap. Canon included a new mirror box module with the 7DM2 to
make it tougher and less prone to mirror slap. Where is the added space in the cheaper
XXD line for this feature? There's a reason the 7D is so heavy and so firmly built.
The 80D, which is nice, is not in the same ergonomic league. For speed demons, like birders, this is crucial.

If I were to place a bet, I would put $ on the 6D M2 being the last of its kind, not the 7D M2.
With the prior model, you have everything and more in the mirrorless option, but not with the APS-C model.

In that sense, and in many others, the 7D is unique.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
I'm not buying it.

2) There is no substitute for the OVF...yet. Most 7D users are very picky on this subject.
A move like this would alienate a good number of hardcore Canon customers with a ton of EF
lenses that work superbly with a traditional OVF, not an EVF.

In that sense, and in many others, the 7D is unique.
Oh, I think EVF is gonna blow the OVF out of the water with viewing assists (focus peaking and zebra stripes). I wonder if the R or RP have that for the EVF.

I used the 7D a lot more than the 5DII. I just prefer the crop sensor more and epic bokeh is not my style of photography.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
If the 80D replacement can legitimately fill the void as a 7D Alternative, then I'll be OK with it from my perspective and needs. Perhaps we see a return of the APS-H sensor size in the RF mount as a lower tier sports camera before a 1DX replacement makes it to the RF mount.

I'll be honest, even as an EOS R and 1DX owner, it would take a pretty convincing and bullet proof camera to be a trusted replacement 1DX Mark II in RF mount. I legitimately don't believe Canon can surpass it with their current technology and they know this.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
So the 90D will have 2 card slots and weather sealing?

The 80D already had some weather sealing, but dual cards has got to happen...the D7100 had them back in 2013, followed by the D7200 and D7500 - all of which come at the same price point of the 80D.

Upvote 0
I have been fearing this for some months already.
A few months ago, at a gathering for the R-series, a Canon employee (and not just anybody) told that Canon was perfectly happy with competing the D500 with the 7D Mk II: it is so much cheaper that it keeps Nikon from gaining too much market share and thus gives Canon "other opportunities". He would say no more.

But whether this particulat rumor is true or not: it was clear that a top-of-the-line cropped camera for action photographers by Canon is far away.

If by the end of this year, no 7D Mk III is anounced, I will switch to the D500. I want the best cropped action camera there is available. Price is not that important.
If Canon does not want to offer it, then I have only one choice; to change brand.
I am sure my present Canon rear will sell quite well, so no problem in that area.

This does not make me happy, after using Canon SLRs and SLRs for 30 years.
But I am sure that those that like to reply "go to Nikon then" to posters who write about relative advantages of the Nikon D500, will be quite content to read this.

Canon is eating their own. They have driven video enthusiasts like myself away to Panasonic (or Sony), about to drive action enthusiasts like yourself to Nikon or others. Looks like the only segment they are competing on are the cheap toy cameras like the SL's. Their top brass should sit down and commit Hara Kiri.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
...its just not about selling camera bodies to me and others its about long expensive lenses too, not delivering a 7DMKIII will have some very serious bottom line implications.
Baseless claims like this amuse me. Tell us...how much research have you conducted to determine the global size of the market for a 7DIII? Surveyed a few thousand people, have you? Examined global sales of the 7-series line as the frame rates increased on the xxD series? Tell us...how many owners of the original 7D upgraded to a 7DII, and how many to a 70D/80D? Of course, the answers to those questions are none, no, no, and you have no clue. But you want a 7DIII and if you don’t get one you’ll either switch to Nikon or stamp your foot and hold your breath until you turn blue, so that means Canon’s bottom line will suffer. Sure.

Consider this: Canon is in the best position to determine whether or not developing and launching a 7DIII vs. an amalgamated 7/xxD body, would benefit their bottom line. If it’s the former, we’ll see a 7DIII...and if not, we won’t. Their goal is not to make people happy, so if you personally buy Nikon or pass out with a blue face, they don’t give a damn.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon is eating their own. They have driven video enthusiasts like myself away to Panasonic (or Sony), about to drive action enthusiasts like yourself to Nikon or others. Looks like the only segment they are competing on are the cheap toy cameras like the SL's. Their top brass should sit down and commit Hara Kiri.
And yet...they have ~50% of the ILC market share. They’ve been the ILC market leader for 16 years, and since they took the lead they’ve gained market share, and in the past five or so years they haven’t lost any of it. They’re doing quite well. The only reason they’d need to commit seppuku is if they all-of-a-sudden decided to pay heed to the ramblings of disgruntled forum dwellers such as yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Since Sony A7III apears, I've been waiting Canon's respounce. Someting to replace my 7D MkII. Maybe a new body with more focus points, better AF or eye tracking, tilting or variable angle touchscreen, a better sensor, and of course, more speed, with a reasonable price.

But Canon simply insists on low specification bodies with high prices.

Maybe is time to change for Sony and forget about Canon.

Upvote 0