Is the new Canon full frame mirrorless called the EOS R?

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
I dearly hope that the EOS user interface (dials and top buttons) survive. The interface on M series is counterproductive compared to the professional, well honed, EOS interfaces.
Mount be damned, they will certainly not abandon the EF lenses and the shallow flange lenses will be additions. ,to necessarily replacements, for our investments.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I'd rather have it with a larger battery. Nikon's CIPA rating for the Z7 is less than 20% of the D850 and it can use the same battery.
However, for me compatibility is everything! Right now I do have 3 cameras using the same LP-E6(N) battery and some more. I can use any battery to any camera. I think this is very flexible scheme.

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
All of this talk about 1080p at 120fps....

I feel this is a MUST. This camera's main competitors both offer this feature and it's not a hard one to implement. Canon is crazy if they dont include it.

There are a few key points that I'm looking for in this new FF mirrorless and 1080p 120 is one of them. Sony A7III is my backup plan if this new camera system from Canon doesn't deliver.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Or maybe the RF mount has the same mounting ring as an EF but RF lenses protrude well into the camera housing to get a lower flange distance (i.e. the mount is not at the end of the lens, but part way up the barrel to make up that flange difference). It could mean that the camera housing doesn't save size, but some RF lenses could be more like pancake lenses on the body so the mounted size is reduced (for lenses where that's possible i.e. wide angle, slow aperture). EF-S protrudes into the housing somewhat and the lenses are built so they won't mount on EF mount cameras - I wonder if they could do the same with RF but have a more pronounced protrusion into the body?

If this were the case, then weather sealing shouldn't be impacted, mount adapters wouldn't be needed, and the same size saving options could be possible. The only caveat here would be no using an adapter to mount mirrorless lenses from other systems to the Canon system (not that Canon would mind), unlike Nikon's mirrorless which now has the lowest flange distance and should be able to mount anything once adaptors are built.

Yeah, we've kicked that around on another thread. Have a look if you haven't already.

The idea is certainly intriguing but has its drawbacks. I still contend offering a thin + full EF is preferable to this idea, or the idea of a variable flange distance. The latter two ideas are too risky to jam into a bedrock, foundational, structural component like this. Mounts need to be rock solid and simple, IMHO.

- A

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Could not agree with this more. There's no real reason they can't do 1080@120, shoot the z6 can do that. Dead in the water if they don't enable 120fps. Please don't screw this up Canon!
I'm willing to bet a startling number of people couldn't even care one way or another about this, hard to call it DOA based upon a niche obscure feature that hardly anyone uses.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

I feel this is a MUST. This camera's main competitors both offer this feature and it's not a hard one to implement. Canon is crazy if they dont include it.

There are a few key points that I'm looking for in this new FF mirrorless and 1080p 120 is one of them. Sony A7III is my backup plan if this new camera system from Canon doesn't deliver.
then get a Sony and deal with the Sony, and quit threatening going to sony like it means anything to us here :)
DPAF has to work mighty fast to get 120fps to work btw, there's alot more to it then what you are thinking about.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I'm willing to bet a startling number of people couldn't even care one way or another about this, hard to call it DOA based upon a niche obscure feature that hardly anyone uses.

I feel that way about Eye AF, IBIS, etc. but now if Canon doesn't have those things the world will end for some folks.

I will be reposting the attached many times in the weeks ahead, I'm sure. :rolleyes:

- A

Attachments

• Mirrorless launch.png
    Mirrorless launch.png
    924.4 KB · Views: 664
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012

I feel this is a MUST. This camera's main competitors both offer this feature and it's not a hard one to implement.

I’m not sure I like the idea of basing “must haves” one what competitors offer as opposed to what target market users want/need.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
I dearly hope that the EOS user interface (dials and top buttons) survive. The interface on M series is counterproductive compared to the professional, well honed, EOS interfaces.
Mount be damned, they will certainly not abandon the EF lenses and the shallow flange lenses will be additions. ,to necessarily replacements, for our investments.
actually the M5 is a clever and excellent way of delivering top side control changes on a small camera. ISO, WB, AF mode, Metering, etc can all be changed with your index finger.

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
then get a Sony and deal with the Sony, and quit threatening going to sony like it means anything to us here :)
DPAF has to work mighty fast to get 120fps to work btw, there's alot more to it then what you are thinking about.
It's not a threat towards anyone here in the slightest bit.

For me, I'm looking at a few key features on both the photo and video side. If they aren't available, I believe the A7III will better suit my needs and I will likely pick one up in that case because I've sold two of my three Canon cameras (just 6DII remaining) and have just three L lenses left. For me, it's a fairly easy switch due to the fact that I dont have a million EF lenses.

Make no mistake though, it is my preference to stay a Canon shooter. I just need some specific features that I'm not sure they'll deliver. We will see soon enough.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
It's not a threat towards anyone here in the slightest bit.

For me, I'm looking at a few key features on both the photo and video side. If they aren't available, I believe the A7III will better suit my needs and I will likely pick one up in that case because I've sold two of my three Canon cameras (just 6DII remaining) and have just three L lenses left. For me, it's a fairly easy switch due to the fact that I dont have a million EF lenses.

Make no mistake though, it is my preference to stay a Canon shooter. I just need some specific features that I'm not sure they'll deliver. We will see soon enough.
I for one would be perfectly happy if they left video off it all together, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that would be totally okay with it that way either. the demand of video specs should be second to stills.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
I feel that way about Eye AF, IBIS, etc. but now if Canon doesn't have those things the world will end for some folks.

I will be reposting the attached many times in the weeks ahead, I'm sure. :rolleyes:

- A
Canon will manage to piss off some niche cluster of users who will declare it DOA .. that's a certainty

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
I for one would be perfectly happy if they left video off it all together, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that would be totally okay with it that way either. the demand of video specs should be second to stills.
This is where I strongly disagree.

Why can't both coexist? The technology in the sensor and processor is already there... it makes no sense to me to leave out video.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
actually the M5 is a clever and excellent way of delivering top side control changes on a small camera. ISO, WB, AF mode, Metering, etc can all be changed with your index finger.

Yes, if Canon has a small (M50 / SL2 sized) and large (6D2/5D4 sized) FF mirrorless, they have a roadmap to success either way with ergonomics and controls.

I'm not convinced this is an ergonomic recipe for success, however:

160919a-thumb-600xauto-45483.jpgCanon-EOS-M5-18-150-mit-24-70-750.jpg

The notion that 'if a smaller body exists, only use slow/small native mount glass on it' is madness. People will do the above on day one (a certainty if the adaptor is available, which it should be), even if there are two form factors to choose from.

So Canon may not go all in on small. Nikon cloned Sony's 'same body shape for all price points' approach for what must be a host of reasons (cost reductions, similarity/familiarity of controls, etc.), and Canon may do the same -- but hopefully in a wiser way. (Big 5D chunky grip ftw! :cool:)

- A

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
Yes, if Canon has a small (M50 / SL2 sized) and large (6D2/5D4 sized) FF mirrorless, they have a roadmap to success either way with ergonomics and controls.

I'm not convinced this is an ergonomic recipe for success, however:

The notion that 'if a smaller body exists, only use slow/small native mount glass on it' is madness. People will do the above on day one (a certainty if the adaptor is available, which it should be), even if there are two form factors to choose from.

So Canon may not go all in on small. Nikon cloned Sony's 'same body shape for all price points' approach for what must be a host of reasons (cost reductions, similarity/familiarity of controls, etc.), and Canon may do the same -- but hopefully in a wiser way. (Big 5D chunky grip ftw! :cool:)

- A
That M5/M50 with EF glass looks ridiculous from an ergonomics perspective. I really hope they dont try to go this small with the new bodies.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
That M5/M50 with EF glass looks ridiculous from an ergonomics perspective. I really hope they dont try to go this small with the new bodies.

They may -- they are so proud of the SL2 it seems. But I've posted this many times, but there really is zero drawback to a chunky grip. If an EOS M + 22 pancake can't fit in your pants pocket, FF sure as hell won't.

Regardless of how thin vs full EF pans out, no matter how wide or tall it is, give it a chunky grip: you get comfort, stability, all the buttons + top LCD, and a big battery. So much win.

This is ugly as sin and not what I propose Canon design, but just to make a point about packing space in a bag:

Mirrorless grip copy.jpg

The only drawback with the chunky grip is for the big outing travel photogs (e.g. safari, antarctica, etc) who want an EOS M (original) body footprint so they can pack it in minimal space with no lens attached. How many of us (not shooting 100% of the time with big teles) leave our kit broken down in our bags like that?

- A

Upvote 0