Is the RC ie R crop competition to Z 50 coming?

Aug 21, 2018
I think that the crop sensor R should be about the size of the new Nikon and be $899 to $949 while possibly being $1050.
Will Canon make crop R to compete with the Z ?
Possible Specs
32 mp sensor
RP viewfinder
30 or 60 fps burst rate for photos
same auto focus system as the R & RP (with the recent update)
The updated eye auto focus
Maybe 1080p at 120 fps
Uncropped 4k to 60 fps

Last edited:

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I can only see two reasons for an RF crops sensor camera. One is to produce a 7d2 mirrorless equivalent. And the other is to provide a better upgrade path to FF rd cameras and lenses. And I can'tmake up my mind as to whether I think it will or not happen.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I suspect Canon will provide an R crop as a 7D2 upgrade. It is as though the 90D was a sop to wildlife shooters (if there is no 7DIII) while upgrading others from the 80D.
What I am not sure is whether 7DII users would want a crop R rather than going FF?
It could be that Canon introduce a 90D look alike in an R body, suitably weatherproofed etc.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Where does the Z50 come in the Nikon lineup and what camera would compare to in the Canon lineup?

The Z50 is to a first approximation a mirrorless D5600. However, Nikon doesn’t seem to be sure what audience exactly it is supposed to cater to. On one hand they’re going after the ”non-photographer” and Instagram crowd, but on the other hand the Z50 interface definitely seems to be aimed at more advanced amateurs. Depending on your use case, its closest Canon competitor could be either the M200, M50, or M6II!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
So you only mind an EVF if it's a crop sensor.

Different tools for different jobs.

The advantages of an optical viewfinder over an EVF tend to be more applicable to the types of photography for which one would use a camera such as the 7D Mark II: wildlife and sports/action which require long periods of using the viewfinder continuously between actually taking photos.

The use cases of a FF camera would be more suited to an EVF for someone who uses an APS-C camera optimized for sports/action/wildlife for those use cases.

Upvote 0