Is the RF 28-70 F2 REALLY as sharp as primes?

xanbarksdale

Canon Collector
CR Pro
Jul 18, 2019
Kentucky
I feel like I’ve watched every video and read every review about the 28-70, but is love to hear from people on this forum.

Do you feel that the RF 28-70 F2 can REALLY replace primes? Is it that much sharper than the RF 24-70 f2.8?

I don’t care about the weight or the price, is the image quality that far ahead of other zooms?

Jun 12, 2015
Very soft!?! Those are two of the sharpest lenses out there...

Well, I own and I love the images I get from the EF 50L and EF 85LII, but their strengths aren’t that they are especially sharp. The 85 LII gets quite sharp when you stop it down. The EF 50L is ok from f2.

Here is a comparison between the EF and RF 50L lenses:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I own the 35 L II and it's not as sharp as either the 50 or the 85.

here is EF 50/1.2 vs EF 35/1.4 II comparison at F1.4. Please review and see if EF 50/1.2 still sharper for you. Let us know. Thanks

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
I own the 35 L II and it's not as sharp as either the 50 or the 85.
Are you comparing them wide open, or stopped down? I also own the 35LII, and it is much sharper than the 50L. Between f1.4 and f1.8 it will be easily visible that the 35LII is sharper, even without zooming in.

If your 35LII isn't sharper than your EF 50L at f1.4, it is damaged.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
All of you talking about getting the RF 50 (or EF 35mm f/1/4L II) would be far better served getting the RF 28-70 or RF 85 in my opinion. The RF 50 is a fantastic lens, no doubt. I owned it. However, the 28-70 or 85 for most portrait uses in my opinion, are better choices. Not faulting the 50 at all. It is one fine lens. Just speaking from my own experience. For portraits the 28-70 beats the 50 due to the versatility of a zoom with zero appreciable downside. Extremely sharp. Though f/1.2 is a plus, in practice it has limited use. Facial distortion is a big deal. I know there are many who absolutely love a prime 50mm. Yes, for my uses the RF 28-70mm f/2L can absolutely replece 3 primes. I owned the EF 35mm f/1.4L II. It was a fantastic lens, but then again, it was one lens. The 28-70 is 3, and does a stellar job. I would never go back. The RF lenses compared to EF isn't even a fair comparison. RF wins wide open every single time. I owned the EF 35mm f/1.4L II and it really is a special lens, but I would wait to see what is offered in RF.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

xanbarksdale

Canon Collector
CR Pro
Jul 18, 2019
Kentucky
Real world use is often very different than shooting a focus board...I don't think 1.2 or 1.4 is useful for shooting most portraits. Even when you nail the focus the depth of field is soooo shallow. I find the sweet spot for my photos are 2.0 or 2.2...not because of the sharpness, but because of the DOF.

The worst L lens I ever had was the first 24-70 version I that I owned...that's the only L lens that I've ever owned that could be classified as "very soft."

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Real world use is often very different than shooting a focus board...I don't think 1.2 or 1.4 is useful for shooting most portraits. Even when you nail the focus the depth of field is soooo shallow. I find the sweet spot for my photos are 2.0 or 2.2...not because of the sharpness, but because of the DOF.

The worst L lens I ever had was the first 24-70 version I that I owned...that's the only L lens that I've ever owned that could be classified as "very soft."
Where f/1.2 is useful is at a distance from the subject and in low light and extreme sharpness (in the case of RF). That is what RF 85L @ f/1.2 offers. Now, if you only count portraits as being head shots, you have a point. Portraits are far more than that. Last photo is at f/1.8/

Attachments

• Tara 3 web.jpg
    Tara 3 web.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 359
  • Terra Angel 2 web.jpg
    Terra Angel 2 web.jpg
    827.4 KB · Views: 384
  • Terra Angel 3 web.jpg
    Terra Angel 3 web.jpg
    973.8 KB · Views: 351
  • _E5A1950 web.jpg
    _E5A1950 web.jpg
    973.8 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

On the other hand, my former EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II was very sharp @F/2.8

Attachments

• MM Yuri.jpg
    MM Yuri.jpg
    572 KB · Views: 258
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

xanbarksdale

Canon Collector
CR Pro
Jul 18, 2019
Kentucky
Where f/1.2 is useful is at a distance from the subject and in low light and extreme sharpness (in the case of RF). That is what RF @ f/1.2 offers. Now, if you only count portraits as being head shots, you have a point. Portraits are far more than that. Last photo is at f/1.8/

All I can speak for is my shooting style.

"Low light performance" isn't very important to me. IMO all of the new cameras have more than acceptable noise:ISO...I rarely go above 1600, I typically shoot in the sunlight.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
All I can speak for is my shooting style.

"Low light performance" isn't very important to me. IMO all of the new cameras have more than acceptable noise:ISO...I rarely go above 1600, I typically shoot in the sunlight.
Amd as you can see, all those shots were in daylight, with flash and ND filters... so It is all about using the tools at your disposal. If you shoot straight daylight, of course, you are very limited. Fast glass will not be your friend.

Here's some shot in daylight with the EF 35mm f/1.4 II wide open... taking advantage of shade.

Attachments

• Lauren 6 web.jpg
    Lauren 6 web.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 484
  • Lauren 5 web.jpg
    Lauren 5 web.jpg
    475 KB · Views: 285
  • Lauren Woods 3 web.jpg
    Lauren Woods 3 web.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 293
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015

My preferred aperture when shooting the EF 50L and EF 85 LII is f2. I love the images I get from those two lenses, and I appreciate them and the images they give me more than the 35LII.

The RF 50 and RF 85 lenses, I shoot wide open at f1.2. I see no reason for stopping them down. They are tack sharp, and their bokeh is amazing.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0