Is there a Canon mount portrait lens that you can use very wide open without CA

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
sanjosedave said:
Is there a Canon mount (Canon or other brand) portrait lens that you can use very wide open without CA?

Just saw an image from a Canon 85mm 1.8 at 1.8 and there was CA all over the place

I might suspect the post-processing of the 85/1.8 image that you saw. I've shot hundreds of portraits on full frame Canon bodies with my 85/1.8 and it is my go-top portrait lens. Most newer Canon FF bodies have lens correction data for most lenses. You can even load older lenses via the EOS utility. Shooting RAW, import into LR where the lens profile is spot-on, no CA issues at all!

I'm only getting the Canon 85/1.4L for its amazing capabilities.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
sanjosedave said:
Is there a Canon mount (Canon or other brand) portrait lens that you can use very wide open without CA?

Just saw an image from a Canon 85mm 1.8 at 1.8 and there was CA all over the place

The older EF, non-L Lenses (50/1.4, 85/1.8) have more CA. In photos where that matters, I will not choose those. The focus ring of my 50/1.4 always gets stuck anyways, so it's not like I get much use out of it anymore.

On the cheap end of the spectrum, EF50/1.8 has very well controlled CA, nearly all of which can be corrected in post. As mentioned above, the new 85/1.4 is also excellent -- but, obviously, a lot more money :)

Also, the 70-200/2.8 and 100L/2.8 are both quite good in controlling chromatic aberration.

Upvote 0