Is There a Definitive 85 to Get?

An 85mm lens on my 6D might be what I'll need most of the time for stage performances. My son just made the cut on one of the best high school jazz bands in the country. Yes, his life's over until May, but he's good with it.
There is a lot of metal so CA is maybe a top concern. I do shoot in RAW, but for some reason whenever I see purple where it shouldn't be I start screaming at my computer. Not sure why.
Thanks for any "best" recommendations although it's possible, I guess, that there's no terribly wrong answer.

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Cory,

if you are after the best CA control in 85mm wide prime with reliable low light AF and a palatable price, then I would strongly advise you to give the Tamron 85 F1.8 VC a very good and long look.
CA control of the lens is much much better than on Sigma 85 Art wide open. better AF speed in low light and arguably a slightly better consistency.
it is a cheaper option as well. from experience, you can perfectly get away shooting at F1.8 rather than at F1.4 with your 6D body. focus and recompose is the only available focusing technique on 6D as well. therefore at F1.8 you chances of getting in focus image on 6D body is much higher. I would say, aim for F2.8 if you really can afford to stop down that much and if you can, then 70 -200 F2.8 IS is what I would use instead for flexibility of zoom lens.

Cory said:
An 85mm lens on my 6D might be what I'll need most of the time for stage performances. My son just made the cut on one of the best high school jazz bands in the country. Yes, his life's over until May, but he's good with it.
There is a lot of metal so CA is maybe a top concern. I do shoot in RAW, but for some reason whenever I see purple where it shouldn't be I start screaming at my computer. Not sure why.
Thanks for any "best" recommendations although it's possible, I guess, that there's no terribly wrong answer.

Upvote 0
SecureGSM said:
Cory,

if you are after the best CA control in 85mm wide prime with reliable low light AF and a palatable price, then I would strongly advise you to give the Tamron 85 F1.8 VC a very good and long look.
CA control of the lens is much much better than on Sigma 85 Art wide open. better AF speed in low light and arguably a slightly better consistency.
it is a cheaper option as well. from experience, you can perfectly get away shooting at F1.8 rather than at F1.4 with your 6D body. focus and recompose is the only available focusing technique on 6D as well. therefore at F1.8 you chances of getting in focus image on 6D body is much higher. I would say, aim for F2.8 if you really can afford to stop down that much and if you can, then 70 -200 F2.8 IS is what I would use instead for flexibility of zoom lens.
Thanks. I do normally try to stay at 2.8 or smaller (aperture) so that might be a very good call (for all the reasons mentioned). Much appreciated.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
If you don't mind the lack of IS, heavy weight, considerable bulk and uncommon 86mm filter thread size, the Sigma 85/1.4 Art is probably the one to get.

Read Brian Carnathan's very balanced review:
https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-85mm-f-1.4-DG-HSM-Art-Lens.aspx

Carnathan also has reviews of most of the other 85's on the market for a useful, independent viewpoint. This should be your go-to lens review site.

-pw

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
pwp,

in regards to 86mm filters. I was referred to the Gobe filters by a photog who is associated with the business here in Australia. I was sceptical initially until I had a chance to run sharpness, reflectance and aberration tests with the following filter and my own lens and camera:

https://mygobe.com/au/shop/lens-filters/uv-filters/gobe-uv-86mm-schott-mrc-16-layer-filter.html

there are 3 versions:

Premium - Gobe UV 86mm SCHOTT MRC 16-Layer Filter << I have got this model.
Pro - Gobe UV 86mm MRC 16-Layer Filter (Japanese glass)
Standard - Gobe UV 86mm MRC 12-Layer Filter

at A$58 for a good quality 86mm UV filter the product is a steal. They sell on Amazon as well. Just for your information.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
The Tarmron is nice but having used it for more than a year professionally at weddings and events I can say that low light AF performance is the bottleneck here. Low CA for sure.

The Sigma could be a good choice, very sharp but do check your copy has good AF. Currently I’m in possession of the new 85 IS and I think it’s great, very sharp and the focus is among the best I’ve ever seen in a Canon lens.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
SecureGSM said:
pwp,

in regards to 86mm filters. I was referred to the Gobe filters by a photog who is associated with the business here in Australia. I was skeptical initially until I had a chance to run sharpness, reflectance and aberration tests with the following filter and my own lens and camera:

https://mygobe.com/au/shop/lens-filters/uv-filters/gobe-uv-86mm-schott-mrc-16-layer-filter.html

there are 3 versions:

Premium - Gobe UV 86mm SCHOTT MRC 16-Layer Filter << I have got this model.
Pro - Gobe UV 86mm MRC 16-Layer Filter (Japanese glass)
Standard - Gobe UV 86mm MRC 12-Layer Filter

at A$58 for a good quality 86mm UV filter the product is a steal. They sell on Amazon as well. Just for your information.

I'd never heard of Schott filters. Thanks, I'll bookmark their site. Great value if the quality is there.

-pw

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schott_AG

SCHOTT AG
Manufacturing company

Schott AG is an international manufacturing group of glass and glass-ceramics. The company is headquartered in Mainz, Germany and employs approximately 15,100 people worldwide. All shares of Schott AG are solely held by the Carl Zeiss Foundation.
Headquarters: Mainz, Germany
Revenue: 1.99 billion EUR (2015–2016)
Founder: Otto Schott
Founded: 1884
Subsidiaries: WACKER SCHOTT Solar GmbH, MORE
Parent organizations: Carl-Zeiss-Stiftung, Surana Solar

Upvote 0
another vote for the Tamron 85mm 1.8 I shoot performance, music and dance with a 6D (and cough Sony) with it typically at 1.8 to 2.8 and love it.
last shoot from the weekend, most shot open, wide shots at the end are from the Sony with Sigma 30mm 1.4 (these are at 3200)

https://www.facebook.com/peter.zuehlke.3/media_set?set=a.1718866461471547.1073741889.100000446296740&type=3

Upvote 0

JoFT

I do love photography
Nov 9, 2014
Germany
delightphoto.zenfolio.com
Cory said:
Would the Milvus possibly make sense (portraits, stage, etc.)?

:-*
The Milvus makes sense. I will not sell it, even if I own both. The Milvus is a tool for experts only. The manual focus is the best what you can get. In combination with a mirrorless body like the M5 it i just awesome...

Upvote 0
Just got Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens (one before Art). Testing out on moving target after AFMA on Canon 70D. This is 50% crop at f1.4 1/2500th iso500 on a moving dog with low contrast using AI Servo. Not every shot is in focus. Some soft and some usable but not tack sharp. Only paid £300 and loving it especially on the 6D 8)

Attachments

• dog.jpg
    dog.jpg
    850.9 KB · Views: 166
Upvote 0