Is there a way to confirm focus in Live View

Status
Not open for further replies.

MARKOE PHOTOE

Photography is a love affair with life.
First, let me say thanks for all the great knowledge and information I've learned through this forum. I'd say I'm a bit addicted as it keeps me from my work. ::)

My question:

Is there a way to get focus confirmation in LIVE VIEW x 10 like we see when using the view finder with our MF lenses? Depending upon the amount of light I'm shooting landscapes in, sometimes its very difficult to see the LCD and know for sure I'm perfectly dialed in.

I've used external monitors on previous shoots but sometimes the whole set up is cumbersome and the monitor resolution was not as good as the LCD itself.

Thanks in advance.

MARKOE PHOTOE

atlcroc said:
It's a bit pricey, but what solved my problem was the Zaguto Z finder. I was so used to using the viewfinder that I could not focus with live view and this made it really easy to focus. I just leave the base plate attached to the camera and pop on the rest when needed.

Can you then attach a RRS L plate to the bottom of the base plate? :-\

Upvote 0

MARKOE PHOTOE

Mt Spokane Photography said:
In my DSLR, the rectangle covering the AF area turns from red to green when focus is achieved.
I'm not sure about manual focus, but at 10X, your eye is easily as accurate as autofocus, and you can focus on the precise spot you want.

Wow, thats great news, thanks. Is this a custom function? Not sure I've ever seen this. Assume you're also shooting a 5D3?

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2012
MARKOE PHOTOE said:
In my DSLR, the rectangle covering the AF area turns from red to green when focus is achieved.
I'm not sure about manual focus, but at 10X, your eye is easily as accurate as autofocus, and you can focus on the precise spot you want.

Wow, thats great news, thanks. Is this a custom function? Not sure I've ever seen this. Assume you're also shooting a 5D3?

It's not custom function. My 5D III focus rectangle turns to green when focused in live view including 5x and 10x live fiew.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
drjlo said:
MARKOE PHOTOE said:

Same on a 60D.... the rectangle turns green.

When practical, live view at 10X magnification is very precise focus.... great on a tripod with stationary objects... and for some strange reason not practical for birds in flight...

Upvote 0
A

atlcroc

Sorry for the delayed response, but just got back to the computer. Not sure about RRS L plates since I have not used them. The base plate for the Z finder has several places underneath and I use one of them to attach my tripod mount, so it's probably a yes. The base plate has a frame that goes over the LCD screen and then you just snap the Z finder into place. It then functions like a giant eye piece as if you were looking through the view finder. Includes diopter adjustment and then with the magnification it makes it easy to focus. Since I only use live view for manual focusing in video, I really needed this attachment to be able to confirm focus. The eye cup also helps so there is never a problem even in bright sunlight.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.