Is there an EOS R series camera with an APS-C sensor coming? [CR1]

For some time to come - perhaps the next 3 years - there is going to be a limited range of RF lenses.

And during that time Canon will continue to promote all their existing mounts ... EF, EF-S and EF-M.

But, eventually, the *only* mount which will remain standing will be the RF mount, and a whole range of new lenses for that mount, from big/heavy/expensive to small/light/cheap.

Perhaps there will be FF and APS-C variants but the new protocol and extra features it facilitates will win out.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is simply in denial.

1Dx, 5D, 5Dsr, 6D, 7D, 90D, 77D, T7i, T7, XXXXD, SL2 (My list may be out of date). Canon has about 11 DSLR bodies out at the same time... so why do you think that they need/want to reduce it to a single mount?

The M line is small and light and fills the needs of a big market segment. Why would Canon suddenly change it's strategy and not go for all segments?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ken

Engineer, snapper of photos, player of banjos
CR Pro
Aug 8, 2016
Huntsville, AL
Bye Canon. I’m done with you.

Over a rumor? Man. I picture the Canon CEO reading this, walking from Tokyo to the shores of Japan, with a tear in his eye, waving goodbye to pickelshoes.

In all seriousness, best of luck with your next camera system. There are plenty of good ones. You almost can't go wrong these days.

Upvote 0
Over a rumor? Man. I picture the Canon CEO reading this, walking from Tokyo to the shores of Japan, with a tear in his eye, waving goodbye to pickelshoes.

In all seriousness, best of luck with your next camera system. There are plenty of good ones. You almost can't go wrong these days.

Please, don't feed the trolls. It is totally unnecessary to answer this kind of "users".

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015
With the Mirrorless APS-C, Canon needs to match the Fujifilm XT-3 to be taken seriously.

otherwise it is not a serious camera, just a stop-gap measure to keep Canon users from leaving

This is what I'm hoping the M5 Mark II will be. Un-cropped 4K with DPAF, 4K 60FPS/1080p 120FPS, Digic 8 or 8+, fully articulating screen, UHS-II SD Card Slot and/or Duel SD Card Slots, and a bigger battery. I know some of that sounds like it'll never happen (this is Canon we're talking about here) but I don't see most of it as technically impossible. A single Digic 8 is running everything inside of the EOS R, so I would expect a Digic 8+ with a larger battery to be able to handle those kinds of specs and features. Heat dispersion would be an issue though.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
This is what I'm hoping the M5 Mark II will be. Un-cropped 4K with DPAF, 4K 60FPS/1080p 120FPS, Digic 8 or 8+, fully articulating screen, UHS-II SD Card Slot and/or Duel SD Card Slots, and a bigger battery. I know some of that sounds like it'll never happen (this is Canon we're talking about here) but I don't see most of it as technically impossible. A single Digic 8 is running everything inside of the EOS R, so I would expect a Digic 8+ with a larger battery to be able to handle those kinds of specs and features. Heat dispersion would be an issue though.
Actually apart from the M5 battery, Digic 8 (which the M50 already has anyway) and the DPAF being enabled in 4k (same codec) the rest just won't happen, maybe the crop will get smaller if it uses a different sensor but I'm not so sure about that. It certainly won't go to downsampling like other manufacturers.

Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

Feb 4, 2015
Actually apart from the M5 battery, Digic 8 (which the M50 already has anyway) and the DPAF being enabled in 4k (same codec) the rest just won't happen, maybe the crop will get smaller if it uses a different sensor but I'm not so sure about that. It certainly won't go to downsampling like other manufacturers.

Have some hope! :) Who knows, us EOS M owners could just be getting the M5 Mark II of our dreams...... OR we could just end up with a slightly higher spec version of the M50 :p.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Have some hope! :) Who knows, us EOS M owners could just be getting the M5 Mark II of our dreams...... OR we could just end up with a slightly higher spec version of the M50 :p.
We've probably been following Canon's cameras for years, so now we can have a pretty good idea what to expect (or rather not expect). There will be a 4k crop, but the frame rates will depend on the sensor, mainly.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
A 7D3 with an R mount would be interesting….. Give it a pair of UHS-2 memory cards to quickly dump files to and you should be able to get away with some interesting frame rates... Then throw in dual digic and you could get some awesome AF performance.... I have zero interest in getting an EOS-R, but this would be tempting....

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

Feb 4, 2015
We've probably been following Canon's cameras for years, so now we can have a pretty good idea what to expect (or rather not expect). There will be a 4k crop, but the frame rates will depend on the sensor, mainly.

I've been following them for a few years as well (2013 onward), and know that Canon can surprise at times. Canon has changed strategies and is now willing to cannibalize DSLR sales to up the specs of upcoming mirrorless cameras. The possible reason we didn't see that happen with the EOS R (lacking specs like the cropped 4K video and missing IBIS) is that it was to late in development for Canon to make major changes without delaying the launch. And those changes to Canon's strategy may be why we're not seeing an EOS M5 Mark II and M6 Mark II until sometime next year.

Upvote 0