Is there still hope that we see in-body stabilization in the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
When Canon did their development announcement for the EOS-1D X Mark III last month, one of the rumoured features that wasn’t mentioned in the press release was the inclusion of in-body stabilization. Most have assumed if it wasn’t mentioned in the development press release, that the camera isn’t equipped with it.
A new source who claims to have shot with the EOS-1D X Mark III claims that Canon’s new flagship DSLR does indeed have in-body stabilization and that all future Canon ILC cameras will have the feature as well.
A lot was left out the development announcement about the camera, so I think there’s still a small chance that we see in-body stabilization in the EOS-1D X Mark III, but unfortunately, we cannot confirm this information to certainty.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
That would be a big plus, as IBIS usally achieves some 5 stops of stabilization, while IS in lenses normally is only good for three to four stops.
Most everything canon has released for RF mount has IS built in. I'm wondering if it's somehow different than other manufacturer's implementations to work more closely with the lens?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Most everything canon has released for RF mount has IS built in. I'm wondering if it's somehow different than other manufacturer's implementations to work more closely with the lens?

If we're going to generalize: Only RF the zooms have IS, with the exception of the f/1.8 lens.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

I hope to God we do see it and in all future cameras.
Though I would really love it with non-AF and manual optics like a telescope, or old FD and older lenses. Or even with old Nikkor and other lenses and bellows etc.
This would really be sweet if it would work with old optics attached to the body, Hey!! even a pin hole. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Count me as a skeptic. Whatever Canon does decide to do, it is usually top notch, so if this shows up in the 1D line, I will be excited. But they also tend to release new tech on lower end models first and whatever makes to the 1Dx is proven/bulletproof. Example, DPAF came in first on the 70D, I believe.

If IBIS was coming to the 1D line, I would have thought we would have seen in on the M6II or 90D.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Count me as a skeptic. Whatever Canon does decide to do, it is usually top notch, so if this shows up in the 1D line, I will be excited. But they also tend to release new tech on lower end models first and whatever makes to the 1Dx is proven/bulletproof. Example, DPAF came in first on the 70D, I believe.

If IBIS was coming to the 1D line, I would have thought we would have seen in on the M6II or 90D.
Maybe another lower end camera is coming out.

Upvote 0
We're going to have an IBIS on Canon DSLRs within next.... 10 years.
I'm sure there could still be some surprises. No mention of resolution, separate EVF, or stuff we have not even thought of.
EVF would be awesome, but I doubt it. Hard enough to get IBIS...

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I call bull on this, no rumors on the resolution but clickbait teasers about IBIS?
I call bull on this, no rumors on the resolution but clickbait teasers about IBIS?

It makes me wonder if those two things are related, for instance the IBIS version would get hotter, so they can't do 30MP@20fps, but they can do 24MP@fps within the thermal limits they set themselves.

Upvote 0

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
Denmark

Quite right: Canon often put in new features in lower end models: Sensor Cleaning in 400D (Kiss/Rebel) before higher end models

Upvote 0