Is there still hope that we see in-body stabilization in the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III?

KT

Feb 2, 2012
Is there anything inherently different or technically insurmountable about an IBIS on DSLR versus IBIS on a mirrorless camera? It seems that everyone who builds a mirrorless camera have figured out how to get it up and running a decade ago, while the DSLR giants are still trying to figure it out. Can anyone who understand that stuff shed some light as to why DSLR IBIS has lagged that far behind?

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Is there anything inherently different or technically insurmountable about an IBIS on DSLR versus IBIS on a mirrorless camera? It seems that everyone who builds a mirrorless camera have figured out how to get it up and running a decade ago, while the DSLR giants are still trying to figure it out. Can anyone who understand that stuff shed some light as to why DSLR IBIS has lagged that far behind?

I think it is because there is generally less room in a DSLR due to the mirror.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Count me as a skeptic. Whatever Canon does decide to do, it is usually top notch, so if this shows up in the 1D line, I will be excited. But they also tend to release new tech on lower end models first and whatever makes to the 1Dx is proven/bulletproof. Example, DPAF came in first on the 70D, I believe.

If IBIS was coming to the 1D line, I would have thought we would have seen in on the M6II or 90D.

Adding to this:

If Canon were putting IBIS in the 1DxIII they would have made a big deal about it in their development announcement.

Not even sure why IBIS would be a priority for the 1DxIII line -- it's not a benefit for sports or other action.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I call bull on this, no rumors on the resolution but clickbait teasers about IBIS?
I guess we need something to generate traffic and keep the troops distracted while we wait for real rumors.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
With the high price tag this camera will undoubtedly have it would reflect very poorly on Canon not to have all the latest and greatest technology included. But this is Canon so...
As has already been pointed out that is not how Canon normally work, they put new tech in lower end models to evaluate over high numbers the acceptance rate, things like eye controlled AF never made it to the 1 series after being introduced in the EOS3.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
As has already been pointed out that is not how Canon normally work, they put new tech in lower end models to evaluate over high numbers the acceptance rate, things like eye controlled AF never made it to the 1 series after being introduced in the EOS3.
Plus, think of the timelines.....

Why would you only introduce new features in the body with the longest refresh cycles? Doesn't it make more sense to introduce something on the next body to get released? For example, look at flicker detection. It came out on the 7D2. Every body after that has the feature. Touch screen interface came out in low end bodies. If we were waitiong for it to come out in a 1 series body, then we would still be waiting. Then we have articulated screens, which most camera owners, with the notable exception of most 1 series users and many 5 series users, regard as a useful tool. Since it won't be on a 1 camera, should nobody get it?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

bgoyette

CR Pro
Feb 6, 2015
I'm wondering if it would be more of a video focused Electronic IBIS similar to what it being used on the new C500 Mark II. This could be added to "any" ILC without significant hardware issues...as floating sensor IBIS has normally been limited to mirrorless systems. There are people arguing that this electronic IBIS can actually be more accurate, especially when combined with lens IS, as the gyro information being used is "actual" rather than predictive. Don't know if that's completely true, (electronic stabilization benefits from higher shutter speeds, which negates its usefulness in still shooting), but certainly, the computational side is the direction that most manufacturers are starting to look at.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
I'm not sure of the engineering requirements but Pentax put IBIS into the most robust FF camera on the planet in the K1 and K1 Mk II. Those things are tanks. However, their video capability is minimal in the extreme - so I'm sure there are some serious technical issues with doing IBIS right in a sturdy platform while also offering the 4K video w/frame-rate options: heating perhaps being the biggest thing to overcome or at least one of the critical things to overcome.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
I'm wondering if it would be more of a video focused Electronic IBIS similar to what it being used on the new C500 Mark II. This could be added to "any" ILC without significant hardware issues...as floating sensor IBIS has normally been limited to mirrorless systems. There are people arguing that this electronic IBIS can actually be more accurate, especially when combined with lens IS, as the gyro information being used is "actual" rather than predictive. Don't know if that's completely true, (electronic stabilization benefits from higher shutter speeds, which negates its usefulness in still shooting), but certainly, the computational side is the direction that most manufacturers are starting to look at.
They also have the movie IBIS in the 6D Mk II. Can't remember if the 5D Mk IV has that feature...

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
The DSLR giants might be struggling with implementing in DSLRs but Pentax (Ricoh) has it figured out; I don't know if they collaborated with Sony, Panasonic, or Olympus though.

Upvote 0