Is there still hope that we see in-body stabilization in the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III?

Feb 3, 2019
CANON is clearly behind... they woke up too late.
But hey, if you don't care about absolute sharpness in your photos and are willing to pay double for your gear.. go ahead, stick with Canon.
Canon gear was OK for me for 15 odd years but now it is time to go for really sharp pictures with eye AF and silent shutters.. Canon cannot keep up with that stuff, obviously.
Of all brands, Canon should have been FIRST to come up with these innovations, they should be ashamed of themselves, letting so many (OVERPAYING) pro's stand in the cold for so many months now. We are working with prehistoric gear now. And keep in mind guys, if SONY didn't come up with some kick-a** mirrorless cameras, Canon would just launch an 1Dx mark III with a little more fps, a little more ISO performance, a little more megapixels, maybe WiFi, and let you pay a fortune for it (6500 euros).

I just call that LAZY upgrading. And a few months later they put these new (1Dx III) specs in the Canon 5D line and let people pay half the price.
That was Canons business model for the past couple of years..

But those times are over .. so either they need to step up, innovate fast and lower prices, or Canon is doomed.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
But hey, if you don't care about absolute sharpness in your photos and are willing to pay double for your gear.. go ahead, stick with Canon.
Canon gear was OK for me for 15 odd years but now it is time to go for really sharp pictures with eye AF and silent shutters.. Canon cannot keep up with that stuff, obviously.
Of all brands, Canon should have been FIRST to come up with these innovations, they should be ashamed of themselves, letting so many (OVERPAYING) pro's stand in the cold for so many months now. We are working with prehistoric gear now. And keep in mind guys, if SONY didn't come up with some kick-a** mirrorless cameras, Canon would just launch an 1Dx mark III with a little more fps, a little more ISO performance, a little more megapixels, maybe WiFi, and let you pay a fortune for it (6500 euros).

I just call that LAZY upgrading. And a few months later they put these new (1Dx III) specs in the Canon 5D line and let people pay half the price.

But those times are over .. so either they need to step up, innovate fast and lower prices, or Canon is doomed.
You Sony Ambassadors are always easy to spot.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
So IBS will add an additional stop? Professional sports photogs are laughing. I'm shooting at 1/2500 and above and it's to my advantage to turn IS off at times. People can crow about IN Camera Stabilization but 1 to 2 stops it's not a reason to buy a new body. Now give me a 30MP frame at 15fps in RAW to enhance post-production. All we want is an OVF, at 15fps RAW and 30MP frames with our big whites we spend $6K to $13K for and more cross-points across our OVF. Give me the solid Canon tools we're used to. I'm a photographer, not a videographer. If I want to take 60fps or 120fps 4K video I'll buy a $1,000 Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. I'm a professional sports photographer not Steven Frig'n Spielberg. Has anyone at Canon walked down the sidelines in the press pit at NFL, NBA, MLB or NHL? No one has come to us! No one asked us at America's Cup as we're getting drenched in water following a moving object in a moving object. No one came to us. We are professional sports photographers! Please don't fill my body with TOYS that take away from my photographs. Devote the MKIII to photographers... not enthusiasts. You took away our stock of CFast for Express cards. OK!!! Why give me 20 or 24MP's when that technology is in you $600 consumer cameras? If Canon can't deliver a 15fps, 30MP camera with enhanced IQ, DR, Resolution, Focus and Auto MA for our Big Whites I've got to wonder why we, or our agencies are to invest. Every pro sport I shoot 15fps is more than enough. I'm not producing a frig'n movie. When we broadcast it's a $200K Canon lens!!! Why screw with our cameras, we are photographers. Please don't take away from my photographs by devoting so much of the camera to videography. Take that space and give us a better camera for photography. We know what we shoot. The games, the sport, the athletes, the rules.... And 15fps is plenty. We want the DR and focus so at 15fps RAW we get the money shots. If we had 30MP's we can express more latitude in production for post. Can an executive sitting in an office in a chair understand that??? We are sports photographers.

First off, IBIS does nothing for moving subjects, how long have you been shooting again and have you heard of paragraphs?

• Haha
Upvote 0
Funny, nobody mentions the cooling problems and the reduced
MTBF that IBIS brings along, or the possible tilted image plane,
if the lock position isn't absolutely precise.

Yeah, right, Sony is first. In overheating.

I'd prefer cameras without IBIS.

Sample size of one, of course.

exactly, just because Sony has it Canon has to do it? nonsense. This is also a camera designed for "moving" subjects with fast glass, IBIS is useless in that sense.

Upvote 0
Hi, Anyone can use the camera and obtain outstanding results if they know how to tell the camera what to do. Now spend another $60 to $70K on glass and a total of 18K for three bodies and you have a kit. Now add your wifi, 3 Canon 600 series flashes, your pelicans, mono and tripods, gimbals, cards, heads and we're at about 100K before we even step off the field and into the studio where another 100K with strobes, fixed lighting, modifiers, scrims, backdrops, gscreen, PC's and on and on. We are the guys paying the Bill's. "I am the person " paying the bills. I SHOOT ZERO video. And every major sports magazine, team, leauge, sports agent, athlete, newspaper, TV Network, website at some point has paid one if not all of my bills.

What I want as someone who has paid their dues is 30MP at 15fps in RAW with cross-points across my entire OVF. The video/broadcast cameras I stand next to have $250,000 lenses on them. I don't do their job and they don't do mine. I've been hit twice on the sidelines once taken out in a stretcher with a TBI. Once for water sports I was hit by boat and dragged unconcious with a hole in my head and almost lost an eye.

I AM A SPORTS PHOTOGRAPHER

great life story, how cute

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Except when land is included in the photo too (landscape astrophotography) which is much more interesting.
You can deal with that by either moving the sensor at half sidereal rate, which still allows for longer exposures and blurs the sky and ground evenly. Or you simply take separate exposures for the sky and ground. It's a tool that helps if used correctly.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
You can deal with that by either moving the sensor at half sidereal rate, which still allows for longer exposures and blurs the sky and ground evenly. Or you simply take separate exposures for the sky and ground. It's a tool that helps if used correctly.
That's correct you gain 1 stop of ISO if you move at half sidereal because you allow for double exposure in seconds. But there are devices like astrotrac for that (although astrotrac does not support half-sidereal but you can take one picture with astrotrac on and one off and merge). Still you had me at half sidereal. I like everything in one raw photo.

EDIT: And SIgma 14mm 1.8 helps with light collection :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com

If you cant get really sharp pictures with a canon then believe me. The camera is not your problem and you should take up fingerpainting or something.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Indeed! His whole 10 messages are full of BS...

Ok, Canon lovers.. Let me get this straight.. I am a Canon user myself for over 15 years now.
If you only expect pro-canon halleluja feeds here, please go ahead and start your own forum. Maybe call it canonloversnomatterwhat.com (it's still available).

I am just a bit more critical when it comes to Canons R&D pace. It's unbelievably slow in my opinion.
Sony is ahead of the game now, it's sad but true. Calling me a Sony ambassador is just a sign of your Canon-lovers blindness... you guys better stay alert too.
Canon has to step up, and act NOW. Giving us all the competition is giving, and more. Or they will lose this battle I'm afraid.

We photographers don't need 8K Video, all we want is crispysharp images (wich is hard for some of Canon's EF lenses already), high ISO performance, a solid body, WiFi, speed, accuracy, and a good price.
And as ProFoto has a battery powered flash unit for on-camera use (A1) for quite some time now, it is not weird to ask Canon what they are doing in that field.

But hey, if we the only thing we do here is Canon YES! and Canon Halleluja! Just count me out...

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
We photographers don't need 8K Video, all we want is crispysharp images (wich is hard for some of Canon's EF lenses already), high ISO performance, a solid body, WiFi, speed, accuracy, and a good price.

Yet another person who presumes to speak for "we."

Stop putting words in MY mouth. Don't tell other people what *I* think.

This is getting tiresome.

I say that even though I have an utter lack of interest in 8K video myself. But I don't make the mistake of presuming to speak for anyone other than myself.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Yet another person who presumes to speak for "we."

Stop putting words in MY mouth. Don't tell other people what *I* think.

This is getting tiresome.

I say that even though I have an utter lack of interest in 8K video myself. But I don't make the mistake of presuming to speak for anyone other than myself.

You know what I find tiresome.. Canon bringing the same old technologies to market and lenses that are just not sharp and launching pro bodies with minor upgrades compared to the previous model and charge a whopping 7k for it.

As much as I don't want to tell you what to do :) ... you must watch this video entirely and then you come back with your pro Canon stories..

After you see this, the only conclusion is that Canon has been asleep due to their monopoly, and let's hope they are awake now.
Bring it on you friendly people!

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
You know what I find tiresome.. Canon bringing the same old technologies to market and lenses that are just not sharp and launching pro bodies with minor upgrades compared to the previous model and charge a whopping 7k for it.

As much as I don't want to tell you what to do :) ... you must watch this video entirely and then you come back with your pro Canon stories..

After you see this, the only conclusion is that Canon has been asleep due to their monopoly, and let's hope they are awake now.
Bring it on you friendly people!

And this has exactly WHAT to do with my complaint about your behavior?

I didn't make the claim that Canon is not behind. I didn't make a claim that it is behind. I'm just tired of people presuming to speak for me. And in response you just diverted to an irrelevancy.

Bullshitter tactics.

Upvote 0