Is there still hope that we see in-body stabilization in the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III?

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
CANON is clearly behind... they woke up too late.
But hey, if you don't care about absolute sharpness in your photos and are willing to pay double for your gear.. go ahead, stick with Canon.
Canon gear was OK for me for 15 odd years but now it is time to go for really sharp pictures with eye AF and silent shutters.. Canon cannot keep up with that stuff, obviously.
Of all brands, Canon should have been FIRST to come up with these innovations, they should be ashamed of themselves, letting so many (OVERPAYING) pro's stand in the cold for so many months now. We are working with prehistoric gear now. And keep in mind guys, if SONY didn't come up with some kick-a** mirrorless cameras, Canon would just launch an 1Dx mark III with a little more fps, a little more ISO performance, a little more megapixels, maybe WiFi, and let you pay a fortune for it (6500 euros).

I just call that LAZY upgrading. And a few months later they put these new (1Dx III) specs in the Canon 5D line and let people pay half the price.
That was Canons business model for the past couple of years..

But those times are over .. so either they need to step up, innovate fast and lower prices, or Canon is doomed.
People keep saying Canon is behind yet I'm doing just fine with a 2012 body (5D3) You have GAS and there's nothing wrong with that. I also drive a 9 year old car. Now, lenses are a very different matter, timeless if you chose the right ones. Now, are you telling me you can't make good photographs unless you have the latest tech? I'm sorry.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
You know what I find tiresome.. Canon bringing the same old technologies to market and lenses that are just not sharp and launching pro bodies with minor upgrades compared to the previous model and charge a whopping 7k for it.

As much as I don't want to tell you what to do :) ... you must watch this video entirely and then you come back with your pro Canon stories..

After you see this, the only conclusion is that Canon has been asleep due to their monopoly, and let's hope they are awake now.
Bring it on you friendly people!

1) If you want a lens optimized for shooting flat test charts at relatively close distances, or "landscapes" at longish distances with the aperture wide open (who actually shoots landscapes that way?) in which the flat field correction needed to increase center to edge sharpness at the same focus distance ruins the character of out of focus highlights, the Sigma is definitely your lens. Heck, the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 beats the EF 50mm f/1.2 L in that respect. But that's not why the EF 50mm f/1.2 L exists.

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” - Often attributed to Albert Einstein.

2) Why not compare Sigma's most recent wide aperture 50mm prime (this lens) to Canon's most recent wide aperture 50mm prime (RF 50mm f/1.2 L), rather than a Canon lens that has been around since 2006? The Canon RF 50mm f/1.2 L is 12 years more recent than the older EF lens. It's also designed to be a tool more suited to the things the Sigma is designed to do, rather than the things the Canon EF lens is made to do.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
People keep saying Canon is behind yet I'm doing just fine with a 2012 body (5D3) You have GAS and there's nothing wrong with that. I also drive a 9 year old car. Now, lenses are a very different matter, timeless if you chose the right ones. Now, are you telling me you can't make good photographs unless you have the latest tech? I'm sorry.

So you'd be fine paying the same price for a 2011 car today, at the same cost for a 2020 model ???

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
No I didn't. If you think so, then explain.
You might need to try and sway me as to why cost and tech trumps art and know how. Look, the argument for a first time or replacement due to loss/theft is different than the replacement for upgrade/GAS. I was commenting on how so many folks spend endless amounts of energy on specs and arguments thereof and act as if once a new model arrives the old model ceases to work. It's tiresome. So your car analogy? It doesn't work for my angle.

Upvote 0