Is this a G1X killer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kapanak

briansquibb said:
Dylan777 said:
I'm willing to pay up to $1000 if Canon can apply APS-C sensor into current S100 chassis - zoom 24-70 or longer with aperture f2 or 2.8 through. :eek: :eek:

18mb APS-C in the S110 and G1X2 and the 1100D/650D. 22mp APS-H in the 70D/7D to pull them away from the entry level consumer kit

APS-C sized sensor inside the S100 package? I don't think that is happening for several years, if ever.

The 4/3 aspect ratio and dimensions of the G1X will stay the same, I assume, so probably not an APS-C sensor, not that it is very different in size ._.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
kapanak said:
briansquibb said:
Dylan777 said:
I'm willing to pay up to $1000 if Canon can apply APS-C sensor into current S100 chassis - zoom 24-70 or longer with aperture f2 or 2.8 through. :eek: :eek:

18mb APS-C in the S110 and G1X2 and the 1100D/650D. 22mp APS-H in the 70D/7D to pull them away from the entry level consumer kit

APS-C sized sensor inside the S100 package? I don't think that is happening for several years, if ever.

The 4/3 aspect ratio and dimensions of the G1X will stay the same, I assume, so probably not an APS-C sensor, not that it is very different in size ._.

It is bound to happen sooner or later... I would be delighted when it does happen..!

Upvote 0
W

wellred

Dylan777 said:

Why don't you just go for a Sigma DP2 merrill or a NEX?

I hope Canon DON'T put in a bigger sensor as it will surely mean it's not pocket friendly ala S100. There are plenty of choices for m4/3, APSC sized sensors but there is not much choice for 1/7 sensors that fit in your pocket. There would then be a big gap in that portion of the market. The RX100 fits in the pocket in the pic above, but barely and even then I can't imagine with all the known Sony dusty lens issues that people are gong to spend that money on a pocket cam and keep it in their linty pockets case free.

Keep the sensor the same, add some new features and get rid of whatever caused the lens error issue and price it right - that's what Canon should do.

That aside does anyone know when an announcment might be likely?

Upvote 0
I'd still rather wait for a new G14, 24 to 110 zoom 2.8f or less. same size sensor as in the G1X. Digic 5 processor. megapixels like in earlier iterations more is not necessarily better so around the 16Mp mark but with better resolution. Bump up the ISO by all means but keep everything else the same. The G11 and 12 are great little cameras with the retractible lens and swivel screens, the G1X is an ugly bug anyway too big, too heavy and the S100 is too small to have a serious size sensor in it.

Upvote 0
W

wellred

briansquibb said:
Need to make up our mind on whether we are going for a small camera or a pocket camera.

A small camera has a lot more options, especially in terms of removable lens

Had a play with a G12 today. Mulling between that and a Panny GF3. I had a GF2 so am use to the menu system and it seems the more pocket friendly of the 2 but I'm going to give it to October to see if Canon announce an S100 successor.

Upvote 0
If the G14 doesnt come out at Photokina, I might go for either the G12 or that nice looking Sony RX100 even though it's a bit pricey. I am going to look at the New Oly OMD EM5 micro 4/3rds tomorrow but unless you pop a pancake lens on it it's going to be too big anyway and the kit lens makes it much too big in comparison with a Gxx type. Makes it a bit pricey too.

Upvote 0

MARKOE PHOTOE

Photography is a love affair with life.
Purchased the RX-100 from DigitalRev about two weeks ago and love this little jewel as compared to my previous S95 and S100 Canons. Don't get me wrong, the S100 is still the best P&S camera out there with its feature set and ability to shoot RAW...maybe up until now.

The RX-100 is extremely fast with little shutter lag. IQ is considerably better than the S100 in most regards. The ZEISS lens is incredibly sharp and provides great color renditions. As a big fan of ZEISS lenses, this was that proverbial icing on the cake for me. (I have only recently started shooting with ZEISS ZE lenses for my Canon DSLR's)

It DOES however take a little more time to boot up and shut down than the S100 and what you don't see here is that when you turn the camera on, the lens projects about 1-1/2" before you zoom.

Additionally, the RX100 doesn't connect with EYE-FI cards whereas the S100 has a menu item for these WIFI cards. I typically use EYE-FI to automatically transfer images to my IPAD for ease of cataloging and emailing.

So, RX100 or S100? For now, I'll be using the RX more often. I'm confident the next generation S100 will out do the RX100.

Upvote 0
So now the Canon EOS M has been shown to the public - not released till October, so where will a future Gxx fit into Canon's plan of things to come? Will this kill off the G1X and allow space for a new Gxx? Especially given that there has been a fair bit of negative stuff written about the G1X unless I am mistaken.

Clearly they wont put an APS C sensor in a future Gxx because of zoom lens size restrictions, so what about the same sensor used in the G1X? or a 4/3rds? I guess a digic 5 processor would have to be requisite. They will have to be careful not to cannibalise sales of either the G1X or the S100 or maybe they already have especially as the EOS M with better IQ and a pancake prime must be a competitor?

Will the next Gxx just be an upgraded G12 called G12a or a G12-2 and not something completely new? How about an EOS mini with swivel screen, smaller sensor, digic 5 processor and retracting zoom lens? Or will we see a hybrid?

Finally, why dont we refer to the G12 as mirrorless?

Any thoughts on this folks?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Gman said:
So now the Canon EOS M has been shown to the public - not released till October, so where will a future Gxx fit into Canon's plan of things to come? Will this kill off the G1X and allow space for a new Gxx? Especially given that there has been a fair bit of negative stuff written about the G1X unless I am mistaken.

Clearly they wont put an APS C sensor in a future Gxx because of zoom lens size restrictions, so what about the same sensor used in the G1X? or a 4/3rds? I guess a digic 5 processor would have to be requisite. They will have to be careful not to cannibalise sales of either the G1X or the S100 or maybe they already have especially as the EOS M with better IQ and a pancake prime must be a competitor?

Will the next Gxx just be an upgraded G12 called G12a or a G12-2 and not something completely new? How about an EOS mini with swivel screen, smaller sensor, digic 5 processor and retracting zoom lens? Or will we see a hybrid?

Finally, why dont we refer to the G12 as mirrorless?

Any thoughts on this folks?
If the Amazon sales rankings are correct, sales of the G1X seem to be going well, but expect prices to drop, as the economy tanks.
Most people define a mirrorless as a camera with interchangable lenses and no reflex mirror. The G1X and RS100 are not mirrorless, so they come under point and shoot.
I'd like to try both of them and see which fits in my large hands best. I might still consider the Canon "M", since FD adapters will soon be available as well as adapters for nikon, OM, M42, Pentax, Minolta, etc. Almost every old Fukk manual SLR lens can be adapted.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.