Is this a joke?

Feb 14, 2014
I loathe sites like this. They do this silly vs thing using the specs only - prime lenses always get marked down for only having 1 focal length!!. No real world tests, probably never come into contact with the equipment in their site. They certainly would not have come across a 7DII as it doesn't exist!

Here's one of the 'common weaknesses' they found with the 5DIII and the information reffering to it mentions Nikon cameras:
No focus motor
Won't autofocus with all lenses
:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
Who writes this stuff? My sides hurt from laughing too much!

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2012
jedy said:
..... it mentions Nikon cameras:
No focus motor
Won't autofocus with all lenses.......
As Nikon has fallen off my radar, I no longer follow specs and details of current market offerings, I've no idea regarding the current state of these things.
- - -
I have, and have worn out both a D70 and a D80.
On the lens mount of these cameras is a screwdriver tip sort of affair connected to an in the camera focusing motor.
Some autofocus lenses of the era did not have their own autofocus motor(s), instead used the camera's built in motor. I have lenses of both types, in lens motors focused significantly faster, camera body focus seemed just as accurate once it finally arrived.
The next generation Nikons one step down in the marketplace omitted the in body focus motors, if a lens was to autofocus, it had to bring its own motors.
There was simply no way for a non-motorized lens to autofocus without camera drive.
Example; had I updated to the D90 generation but a step or two downmarket, my AF Nikkor 50mm 1:1.8D would not be able to autofocus.

In the photo below hot linked from dpreview, see the screwdriver tip looking tab at about 7:00? That's the in camera autofocus drive for lenses without their own motors.

lensmount02.jpg

Another downside of this so called 'feature', while this drive is engaged, the focus ring cannot be manually operated, autofocus must be physically disengaged on the camera body, no 'on the fly' manual focus possible.
- - -
I don't know if this is what snapsort was referring to, I looked briefly and did not find. I don't much care either, please, make no effort on my behalf to find and quote whatever passage(s).
I no longer care anything regarding anything and everything Nikon and at this point in my life, hope to maintain that indifference until my end.

Upvote 0