IS, Tripod,Live view and my confusion....

Dholai

CR Pro
Feb 5, 2014
...Please educate me.

The 600 mm with 1.4 X is on the tripod. IS is ON.

Looking through the viewfinder, image is shaking and becomes stable when shutter is half pressed engaging the IS.

I switch to live view, magnify the image to the max for precise focusing.
Image is stable- I press the shutter halfway , the IS engages, the image starts shaking !!! I switch the IS off, press the shutter, image remains stable.

Which one is to believe ?? What is the correct technique to get a sharper image?
Where to read about it ??

Thanks

Dholai

Jul 21, 2010
richro said:
Turn IS off when mounted on tripod.

9VIII said:
The IS system is always looking for movement, if there is none it just starts to spaz out.

The IS systems of all but the oldest lenses sense when the lens is on a tripod, and disable themselves. The supertele lenses go a step further, and activate a secondary IS mode that damps mirror/shutter vibrations.

So, with a supertele you're better off leaving IS on when mounted on a tripod. Do keep in mind that the IS system needs ~0.5 s to stabilize the image – if you just mash the shutter release, that's worse than leaving IS off.

Leaving IS on doesn't affect sharpness, at least based on some limited testing I've done. See this post, scroll down for results from the 600/4L IS II.

I haven't used live view much with my 600 II, but I do leave IS on when on a tripod, and I don't recall any issues, provided the IS is allowed to operate for a brief period (sometimes there's an initial 'jump' then a 'drift' as it settles).

Question for the OP - which IS mode is set on the lens?

Upvote 0