Issue: Popups for contests on iOS devices

Canon Rumors Guy

EOS 1D MK II
Jul 20, 2010
7,534
289
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We are aware of an issue currently affecting some folks using iOS/Safari devices of popups from "ingmatic" affecting their browsing experience.

We have had a couple of reports saying the same thing has happened on Android/Chrome as well.

This seems to be a widespread issue with mobile traffic on web sites.

https://www.wired.com/story/pop-up-mobile-ads-surge-as-sites-scramble-to-stop-them/

Thank-you to people that have reported this to me, I don't use iOS devices, so I haven't yet run into this. I only know when you let me know, so please never hesitate to reach out.


Cheers,
Craig
 

bsbeamer

EOS RP
Nov 5, 2011
273
9
Was getting this popup several days ago. Cleared every cookie and website data in Safari and Twitter. Went to read this message from your Twitter feed and while reading, had this attachment pop up.

Tried directly via Safari and same thing happened.

Clearing cookies does not fix.
 

Attachments

Canon Rumors Guy

EOS 1D MK II
Jul 20, 2010
7,534
289
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
bsbeamer said:
Was getting this popup several days ago. Cleared every cookie and website data in Safari and Twitter. Went to read this message from your Twitter feed and while reading, had this attachment pop up.

Tried directly via Safari and same thing happened.

Clearing cookies does not fix.
That's great information, thank-you.

What Twitter app are you using?
 

bsbeamer

EOS RP
Nov 5, 2011
273
9
Canon Rumors said:
That's great information, thank-you.

What Twitter app are you using?
The official Twitter app in the Apple App Store, iOS 11.2.5 on iPhone 7. All apps are up to date, including Twitter - says version 7.17. Not using any apps that collect social media posts in one location or anything like that. Never use Hootsuite, Tweetbot, etc.
 

Canon Rumors Guy

EOS 1D MK II
Jul 20, 2010
7,534
289
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
bsbeamer said:
Canon Rumors said:
That's great information, thank-you.

What Twitter app are you using?
The official Twitter app in the Apple App Store, iOS 11.2.5 on iPhone 7. All apps are up to date, including Twitter - says version 7.17. Not using any apps that collect social media posts in one location or anything like that. Never use Hootsuite, Tweetbot, etc.
Thank-you.

This is a strange one, obviously we don't send anything to the Twitter app beyond the featured image and some text.
 

Canon Rumors Guy

EOS 1D MK II
Jul 20, 2010
7,534
289
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
A quick update.

After talking to ad ops and our host, I'm pretty confident in saying that this is not an issue related to Canon Rumors specifically, it's an issue plaguing the whole internet.

People have reported these popups on sites like CNN, The New York times and Yahoo.

We hope a fix is sent out soon.
 

bsbeamer

EOS RP
Nov 5, 2011
273
9
Canon Rumors said:
Thank-you.

This is a strange one, obviously we don't send anything to the Twitter app beyond the featured image and some text.
It's triggered AFTER loading your site. Start by clicking on the link in your tweet, which opens Safari within Twitter. Then can see the page for a few seconds, even scroll and start to read, then the popup takes over the page. Clicking close or an X does nothing but continue the redirect.

If you know what ad services you're using on mobile, it MAY help to track it down. Seems to be something related to that. Can browse non-ad driven sites just fine in Safari and through Safari within Twitter.
 

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
15,307
569
bsbeamer said:
Canon Rumors said:
Thank-you.

This is a strange one, obviously we don't send anything to the Twitter app beyond the featured image and some text.
It's triggered AFTER loading your site. Start by clicking on the link in your tweet, which opens Safari within Twitter. Then can see the page for a few seconds, even scroll and start to read, then the popup takes over the page. Clicking close or an X does nothing but continue the redirect.

If you know what ad services you're using on mobile, it MAY help to track it down. Seems to be something related to that. Can browse non-ad driven sites just fine in Safari and through Safari within Twitter.
Not for me.
 

Canon Rumors Guy

EOS 1D MK II
Jul 20, 2010
7,534
289
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
bsbeamer said:
Canon Rumors said:
Thank-you.

This is a strange one, obviously we don't send anything to the Twitter app beyond the featured image and some text.
It's triggered AFTER loading your site. Start by clicking on the link in your tweet, which opens Safari within Twitter. Then can see the page for a few seconds, even scroll and start to read, then the popup takes over the page. Clicking close or an X does nothing but continue the redirect.

If you know what ad services you're using on mobile, it MAY help to track it down. Seems to be something related to that. Can browse non-ad driven sites just fine in Safari and through Safari within Twitter.
The issue cannot be recreated because it's random.
 

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
15,307
569
When someone gets javascript popups like this, right now, no one knows where they come from, but likely from visiting a infected site.

As noted, clear your ios browsing history to erase the malware.

Finally, if all else fails, you can reset Safari by going to Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data.
This means you’ll lose your Web history, and you’ll have to log in again to any sites you’ve set to remember you. Unfortunately, though, this may be what has to happen if all else fails. Now, does anyone want to grab pitchforks and go after whoever is trying to hook users with these scams? I’ll bring the tar and feathers.
 

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
15,307
569
Speaking of ads, there was one on the home page for a Nikon D850. I decided to give CR a few pennies and clicked on it. It took me to the Nikon Website and the D850 which was marked out of stock. So Nikon is paying $$ to advertise buying a camera that they can't deliver!

We should all click on ads in CR (Not that scam popup). That's how the site is financed, they receive a small amount when a reader clicks on a ad.(only one time)
 

Canon Rumors Guy

EOS 1D MK II
Jul 20, 2010
7,534
289
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Speaking of ads, there was one on the home page for a Nikon D850. I decided to give CR a few pennies and clicked on it. It took me to the Nikon Website and the D850 which was marked out of stock. So Nikon is paying $$ to advertise buying a camera that they can't deliver!

We should all click on ads in CR (Not that scam popup). That's how the site is financed, they receive a small amount when a reader clicks on a ad.(only one time)
Clicks don't really matter and artificially inflating them is actually a bad thing. The auction of ad space will pay less for what is considered inflated CTR.
 

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
15,307
569
Canon Rumors said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Speaking of ads, there was one on the home page for a Nikon D850. I decided to give CR a few pennies and clicked on it. It took me to the Nikon Website and the D850 which was marked out of stock. So Nikon is paying $$ to advertise buying a camera that they can't deliver!

We should all click on ads in CR (Not that scam popup). That's how the site is financed, they receive a small amount when a reader clicks on a ad.(only one time)
Clicks don't really matter and artificially inflating them is actually a bad thing. The auction of ad space will pay less for what is considered inflated CTR.
Interesting. I am on the other end, I pay for clicks by bidding on them, so I incorrectly assumed that there was a 1:1 correlation.
 

Canon Rumors Guy

EOS 1D MK II
Jul 20, 2010
7,534
289
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Canon Rumors said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Speaking of ads, there was one on the home page for a Nikon D850. I decided to give CR a few pennies and clicked on it. It took me to the Nikon Website and the D850 which was marked out of stock. So Nikon is paying $$ to advertise buying a camera that they can't deliver!

We should all click on ads in CR (Not that scam popup). That's how the site is financed, they receive a small amount when a reader clicks on a ad.(only one time)
Clicks don't really matter and artificially inflating them is actually a bad thing. The auction of ad space will pay less for what is considered inflated CTR.
Interesting. I am on the other end, I pay for clicks by bidding on them, so I incorrectly assumed that there was a 1:1 correlation.
If you're bidding $2 on a click, and an ad spot comes up with a CTR that's too high, they'll serve the $1.50 bid and give you a better spot for $2.
 

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
15,307
569
Canon Rumors said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Canon Rumors said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Speaking of ads, there was one on the home page for a Nikon D850. I decided to give CR a few pennies and clicked on it. It took me to the Nikon Website and the D850 which was marked out of stock. So Nikon is paying $$ to advertise buying a camera that they can't deliver!

We should all click on ads in CR (Not that scam popup). That's how the site is financed, they receive a small amount when a reader clicks on a ad.(only one time)
Clicks don't really matter and artificially inflating them is actually a bad thing. The auction of ad space will pay less for what is considered inflated CTR.
Interesting. I am on the other end, I pay for clicks by bidding on them, so I incorrectly assumed that there was a 1:1 correlation.
If you're bidding $2 on a click, and an ad spot comes up with a CTR that's too high, they'll serve the $1.50 bid and give you a better spot for $2.
I have low price products, so 5 cents a click. Many of my products are custom made and unique so I'm the only one selling them. The ad just helps people discover them when they did not know such a thing existed.