It’s been a while, but an APS-C equipped EOS R body gets another mention [CR2]

Travel_Photographer

Travel, Landscape, Architecture
Aug 30, 2019
Or you could be more professional about it, arriving an hour before moonrise and having everything mounted up on a tripod and pointed in exactly the right direction, with settings locked in (based on successful previous moon shots). In that case, the M6 MKII would still be likely to produce a better image than any current FF Canon camera.

Moon, handheld with Canon M6, EF 400mm F5.6L at F5.6, 1/1250th, ISO 400. (y)(y)

IMG_5122.JPG

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
And EOS R body and RF mount is ready for an APS-C sensor, with no other changes at all.

Sure, the RF mount is fine exactly as is. But if a crop sensor is sitting behind that RF mount, any lens you put on it will get that 1.6x crop factor.

So no one wants an RF-S mount, but some folks might want RF-S lenses for a crop RF body. They wouldn't protrude into the body like EF-S lenses do. But they would not need to cover an FF image circle, so they could be smaller, lighter and less expensive.

Use Nikon Z as an example: They sell Z lenses for full frame, but 'Z DX' lenses for a crop image circle. They fit on the same Z mount, but Z DX lenses are smaller and more affordable.

- A

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
A lot of people would like this, sure. But the thought that Canon would resurrect APS-H and commit the capital investment in sensor fabrication for a niche line of cameras that only gets refreshed every 5-6 years is not going to happen.

- A

The sensor line would not need to be huge investment. If anything, they would get more sensors cut from the same "waffle" as the ones used from the current R. Smaller files, fast readout, more "reach", better ISO than aps-c and same mount as the R while using the best part of the lens. I see a good deal of good deals.

Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
This would be a very clever move by Canon. A newbie to photography could buy a cheap APSC-R kit, and then invest in a couple of R lenses down the road. This would marry that person to the R line. At some point they may wish to upgrade to FF.
Currently the Rebels are the gateway drug to the 5D/6D line with the EF mount. It'd work the same way.
With the M series, one could easily move to another manufacturer when looking to upgrade (e.g. Sony). There is no upgrade path. With APSC-R there is a clear upgrade path.
I can see APSC-R selling like hotcakes.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
The sensor line would not need to be huge investment. If anything, they would get more sensors cut from the same "waffle" as the ones used from the current R. Smaller files, fast readout, more "reach", better ISO than aps-c and same mount as the R while using the best part of the lens. I see a good deal of good deals.
It's not merely a different sensor. It's also all of the internal supporting structures as well as software. It would be a sizable investment with a questionable ROI.

Upvote 0

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
It's not merely a different sensor. It's also all of the internal supporting structures as well as software. It would be a sizable investment with a questionable ROI.

I am afraid, you are right. But I also think any APS-C equipped EOS R would have also been an almost equally niche product.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Imagine that you have the opportunity to take a once-in-a-lifetime shot of the rising moon. You have a Canon EF 800mm lens. You also have a choice of any current Canon FF camera or an M6 Mk. II. The tiny camera doesn't seem so silly now, does it?
Actually, for big whites that need a tripod and a gimbal, there is no issue using an M body other than that the battery doesn't hold up very long running the IS in those big lenses. Where the tiny body does not work well is with more common telephotos like the 70-200L f/2.8 and the 100-400L. Handheld with an M series body, those are very unwieldy. I have an M3 and an M5 and have used both to good advantage on the 800L, but when the M6 II came out, I opted for the 90D, partly because of the better video in crop mode and partly because of the better handling with everyday telephotos. If Canon makes something resembling an M5 II with at least the video features of the 90D, I will likely add that to the collection because I do like the portability of the M series with native lenses.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
Comparing apples to oranges? The 11=24 at FF has nothing to do with a crop 10-22.

To achieve the same angles one would use 16-35 at FF. The 11-24 has no crop equivalent. Still bigger and more expensive but not at that scale. It's 1K vs 0.5K. And some of the size and price difference it is due to constant maximum aperture
of 16-35 f/4L vs the 10-22 f/3.5-4.5.

Having said that the real power of the APS-C cameras is in the smaller bodies like 200D and the very small/cheap/decent lenses like 10-18.

View attachment 188344
Actually, the Sigma 8-16 is the closest thing to the 11-24 for crop frame and it is a big lens and not constant aperture like the 11-24 and BTW, it doesn't take filters either. When you compare apples to apples, they still look like apples whether they are big apples or small apples :).

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
all the time.

you can't get a "normal" with something like a 24-70mm on it. so the 17-55 2.8 gets used as well as the 10-22mm and the 15-85 was pretty good on it too.
Actually, I think the 15-85 is about the best of the EF-s lenses. I use it on the 90D and it doesn't hamper the resolution of the camera. You have to be very lens selective on the 90D to get the most out of the camera. It definitely likes primes and quickly shows the limitations of most zooms.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
Imagine that you have the opportunity to take a once-in-a-lifetime shot of the rising moon. You have a Canon EF 800mm lens. You also have a choice of any current Canon FF camera or an M6 Mk. II. The tiny camera doesn't seem so silly now, does it?
The 90D works just as well with the 800 (below), but I think you might get a bit more moon detail with the 5DSR and a 1.4 extender (if the seeing conditions are really good).

IMG_0028-Edit.jpg

Upvote 0
This would be a very clever move by Canon. A newbie to photography could buy a cheap APSC-R kit, and then invest in a couple of R lenses down the road. This would marry that person to the R line. At some point they may wish to upgrade to FF.
Currently the Rebels are the gateway drug to the 5D/6D line with the EF mount. It'd work the same way.
With the M series, one could easily move to another manufacturer when looking to upgrade (e.g. Sony). There is no upgrade path. With APSC-R there is a clear upgrade path.

I would think that Canon's decision not to make the M and R lines interoperable demonstrated that 'upgrade paths' are of little commercial relevance. It's talked about a lot on here, but how many extra products are sold on that basis? They must know, but we don't.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Or you could be more professional about it, arriving an hour before moonrise and having everything mounted up on a tripod and pointed in exactly the right direction, with settings locked in (based on successful previous moon shots). In that case, the M6 MKII would still be likely to produce a better image than any current FF Canon camera.
What does make this particular moonshot "once-in-a-lifetime"?

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
I would think that Canon's decision not to make the M and R lines interoperable demonstrated that 'upgrade paths' are of little commercial relevance. It's talked about a lot on here, but how many extra products are sold on that basis? They must know, but we don't.

I bought a 450D, then sold it as used to a local store and bought a 5DmkII. How would Canon know that? Did the shop report the deal to Canon?

Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
Would you (or many people) still buy an APS-C RF if you could buy a FF RF body for just a little more? Canon's new gateway drug for the masses. The RP body is under $1,000 now and rumors on this site predict a cheaper FF RF body is coming this year. So all that’s preventing a low-priced full-frame Canon kit is a few (still to come) inexpensive RF Zoom lenses, as exist now for every other Canon body. Thats where I see Canon going at the low end. Simply no need for APS-C or EF-S. Upgrading is a non-issue with the RF adapter for legacy EF and EF-S lenses.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Actually, the Sigma 8-16 is the closest thing to the 11-24 for crop frame and it is a big lens and not constant aperture like the 11-24 and BTW, it doesn't take filters either. When you compare apples to apples, they still look like apples whether they are big apples or small apples :).
If you had 11-24 in FF and you wanted something similar in APS-C yes you are right. But if you have and use 10-22 in APS-C and want to upgrade to FF the answer is the 16-35. So it depends on the direction.

EDIT: Judging from your moon photo comment on which I agree about the IQ (I do have 5DsR by the way) the most probable course of action is the upgrade not the downgrade which means going from 10-22 APS-C to 16-35 FF.

EDIT2: On some birding excursions where I do not have a car I squeeze a 200D with 10-18 in the bag (which contains 5DsR with 400DII or 500II so no much available room). I guess there is a reason for all formats and we make our choices. And it is good to be able to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Finally sensor of 90 D or eosm6 mark2 in eosR body...
32mpx
16 fps
All the other potency of eosm6 mark2
If it's without AA filter, it drives big whites with RF adaptor fast and it has a super fast EVF maybe. They could also make a battery pack that gives more voltage to the lenses when it has 2 batteries inside. Then maybe...

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
I would surmise that EF-M was made to be compatible with EF, and RF was made to be compatible with EF, but to make RF compatible with EF-M would not be possible without a compromise in the RF design, and since Canon's apparent future lies in the design of that mount, they felt it would not be worth a compromise. 2 cents.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
It's far easier for me to imagine an APS-C RF body than a line of RF-S lenses.However I would think it is more likely that there will be a FF RF body with a crop mode (since the R already does this) with the other specs we all come to know with the 7D line.

No new lens line, no RF-s, no APS-H. This body could be one of the 4 coming.

Upvote 0