It has to be a metering issue... or light flicker... or auto iso adjust...

May 31, 2011
First of all... I know it's bad... but I'm just trying to knock down one pin at a time to get this thing right.

2nd - Technique...

Monopod mounted (which I know isn't as secure as a tripod, but it was in a walkway... so this is the best option without potentially killing people... But the monopod was reasonably stable... used a wireless shutter release... and hit the shutter here and there in order to get a progression of still movement. Then I placed the different images into photoshop using muliple layers... deleted the portion that didn't have the player, and then left the section with the player in the respective layers. Then flattened the image. The image settings for the series was manual, iso 3200, f/6.3 (and I realize that is high and i didn't fix the grain, but that is the least of my concerns), and 1/200 of a second.

So it is pretty obvious that when there are no players on the ice, the camera meters the image differently. I dont' think the variance in exposure is related to light/white balance flicker. So... to correct this... instead of using (.) I should probably opt for ( )... or I can just brighten it in lightroom and then export it to photoshop (elements 12) so it matches the others or at least comes close.

So... if I do this outside under clouds... taking a shot before... then selecting out another image to lay over the background layer... will I experience this same sort of variance? I feel as though i will. So if it is metering... how do I get that to stick. With the lock toggle on the back of the 5d mkiii work... or is that just wishful thinking.

Sorry for sounding so naive... I usually try to hide my naivate' and simply edit single images... but this combing of images is killing me slowly.

Attachments

• crapcrapcrap.jpg
    crapcrapcrap.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 422
Mar 1, 2012
Your file name cracked me up, I know the feeling.

Florescent light flicker, yup.
I just added 91 to my 6D's shutter count for your benefit, well, mine too and anyone else.......

Anyway, florescent lighting only, f/6.3, auto ISO, auto WB, varying manual shutter speeds, several bursts. repeated with WB set to FL, 4,000°K.
Tried shutter speeds from 1/200 down to 1/25, had florescent flicker down through 1/30, could no longer notice it at 1/25. It did made a minor but basically ineffective improvement switching off of AWB. At 1/25, flicker was gone, AWB or FL WB.
---
Um, uh, is there a player in a white jersey behind the right most shot of the skater that ticked off someone in the middle east? He seems to have had a radical haircut down to his shoulders, his head is missing!! (JK, I see you are in test mode)

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Halfrack said:
http://petapixel.com/2014/12/15/tip-use-magical-match-total-exposures-feature-lightroom-quick-fix/

Should fix it right up. Yes, the lighting is flickering, almost as bad as neon :)

Awesome... I owe you a bourbon. I thought I would have to adjust the white balance and exposure individually but this worked beautifully.

I "exported" the files to photoshop as a smart object (maybe because I'm using elements). Then I was able to layer them onto each other. I was using a monopod with feet because I was shooting in a walkway, so the backgrounds aren't perfectly matched up, but I don't think it is overly noticeable.

Attachments

• improved... kinda....jpg
    improved... kinda....jpg
    646.2 KB · Views: 202
Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
I think the lesson learned... for me at least... is that the light flicker from flourescent lighting not only affects the white balance in regards to blue-ish and redish hues, but also to perception of exposure (with some being brighter and consequently looking like they are more exposed than other WB levels).
Just buy 7D Mark ii and the problem will be solved with the activated anti-flicker feature. :)

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
ajfotofilmagem said:
jdramirez said:
I think the lesson learned... for me at least... is that the light flicker from flourescent lighting not only affects the white balance in regards to blue-ish and redish hues, but also to perception of exposure (with some being brighter and consequently looking like they are more exposed than other WB levels).
Just buy 7D Mark ii and the problem will be solved with the activated anti-flicker feature. :)

No...I'm content with my 5d mkiii & fixing in post. But I guess when I upgrade to the mk v, I'll get that feature.

Upvote 0
Wait until you aren't under fluorescent and it's sodium vapor or one of those other hideous light forms.

Flicker reduction on the 7DII works pretty good but sometimes it will go with the down cycle of the light rather than the up, so you'll get a dark shot every so often. If I find what I was shooting and saw that I'll post it here but I don't do a hell of a lot of sports other than swimming (where the officials aren't a*holes and volleyball for the same reason.)

But I will say with it coming out on all the new cameras it is a pretty good tool to use especially in those images like football where half the image the grass is green, the other half it's just brown from the mid-cycle shot of the camera and light variation.

Upvote 0