Its official now. The new EF 100-400 from Canon is on its way! *** FAKE ****

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
This is irrefutable.

Why?

Cos I finally gave in and bought a new 100-400 today. I had tried one that belongs to a
colleague, and wasn't too happy with it. But my new copy works pretty well.
Pretty poor light here today but still happy with the results at ISO4000+ on my
5D MK3.

Shot at about 4 meters away in sub-zero temps (making me shiver), no noise reduction
EF100-400 IS at 400mm F5.6 1/1500s ISO 6400 .

Cheers Brian

Attachments

• _F8A0461.jpg
    _F8A0461.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,628
Mar 25, 2011
Re: Its official now. The new EF 100-400 from Canon is on its way!

I suggest that you consider purchasing a Visual Echoes "Better Beamer" to use with your flash. In difficult low contrast situations, it will make a huge difference. Its basically a fresnel lens that focuses your flash so that it can illuminate things like birds and wildlife at a distance.
Sold by Adorama, B&H, Amazon, etc. You must pick one that fits your exact flash unit. For $36.95, you will gain a lot of capability in lighting at a distance.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_Visual+Echoes&ci=655&N=4168864814+4291125815
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/better_beamer.shtml

BTW, here is a small bird shot with my 100-400mmL with a Better Beamer.

20100426-EMW_8631-L.jpg

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011

Mt Spokane Photography said:
I suggest that you consider purchasing a Visual Echoes "Better Beamer" to use with your flash. In difficult low contrast situations, it will make a huge difference. Its basically a fresnel lens that focuses your flash so that it can illuminate things like birds and wildlife at a distance.
Sold by Adorama, B&H, Amazon, etc. You must pick one that fits your exact flash unit. For $36.95, you will gain a lot of capability in lighting at a distance.

What a great tip, thank you for sharing. Do you only get one chance at this or do the birds not really notice the light difference?

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_Visual+Echoes&ci=655&N=4168864814+4291125815

20100426-EMW_8631-L.jpg
Awesome tip ... did not know such a product existed ... thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
** FAKE *** Its official now. The new EF 100-400 from Canon is on its way!

dandai said:
Omar H said:
congrats, but you need to reconsider the subject of your post, It's misleading a lot of hoping souls! ;)
plus 1!
I know, and I am sorry, and I apologise to everyone who I mislead. :-[

But I also hope you all appreciate the personal sacrifice on my part so that you guys all at last get the updated 100-400 from Canon that we really want!

Everyone except me that is.

Actually I just sold my 70-200 EF IS F4 lens via ebay, after canon rebate and ebay charges I only lost about
120$ so should Canon bring out a new 100-400 that is so much better than this one, the financial loss will probably not be huge.

But I now have the Lens for spring and I hope it will serve me well.

Thanks for the infos about the flash, I guess that can offset the fact that this is not a straight F4 or F2.8 to a certain extent.
Cheers Brian

Upvote 0
bjd said:
This is irrefutable.

Why?

Cos I finally gave in and bought a new 100-400 today.

[...]

Your topic is misleading but ... I understand (hopefully) what you meant: Just the moment you gave up waiting on a new 100-400 and bought a version I Canon will release the Mark II.

I was in the same situation one year ago and bought a 5.6 400 waiting for the release of a Mark II version of that lens with IS but ... it is still not available and will cost (my estimate) roughly 3000 EUR / $ and the same will happen with the 100-400.

I try to learn to be happy with what I have. If I remember the days I made slides I had to wait 2 weeks for development (Kodachrome) and 36 exposures where enough for 2 weeks - digital has simplified the TECHNICAL PROCESS of photographing dramatically! Quality of APS-C is near FF with slide films if not better ...

Enjoy what you have - nearly all the lenses are good enough for great photographs ...

Upvote 0

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
mb66energy said:
bjd said:
This is irrefutable.

Why?

Cos I finally gave in and bought a new 100-400 today.

[...]

Your topic is misleading but ... I understand (hopefully) what you meant: Just the moment you gave up waiting on a new 100-400 and bought a version I Canon will release the Mark II.

I was in the same situation one year ago and bought a 5.6 400 waiting for the release of a Mark II version of that lens with IS but ... it is still not available and will cost (my estimate) roughly 3000 EUR / $ and the same will happen with the 100-400.

I try to learn to be happy with what I have. If I remember the days I made slides I had to wait 2 weeks for development (Kodachrome) and 36 exposures where enough for 2 weeks - digital has simplified the TECHNICAL PROCESS of photographing dramatically! Quality of APS-C is near FF with slide films if not better ...

Enjoy what you have - nearly all the lenses are good enough for great photographs ...
Its the only way to go. Cheers

Upvote 0

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
I have some fabulously sharp shots already with the lens, but I also have a fair few like the following where the correct AF points are lit, but the subject under them is not in focus. I am using focus priority so I would have though this wouldn't happen, or at least not so often. I think the bird provides far more contrast for the AF system than the snow does.
Too little light maybe? At least I am getting the correct AF points lit.

5D MKIII EF 100-400 IS USM 400mm 1/1500sec F8 ISO 400.

Cheers

Attachments

• GreatTit.JPG
    GreatTit.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,951
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
bjd said:
I have some fabulously sharp shots already with the lens, but I also have a fair few like the following where the correct AF points are lit, but the subject under them is not in focus. I am using focus priority so I would have though this wouldn't happen, or at least not so often. I think the bird provides far more contrast for the AF system than the snow does.

Cheers
In snow, the camera will think its gray, so you need to correct for color. Easy to do in post production Its also underexposed by over a stop. Snow fools the exposure system too, use the histogram to add exposure compensation or use manual exposure.

If images are not sharp, make sure you use a fast shutter speed. This is one of the fallacies of using IS. The birds move, and there is blur. Your photo is a 100% crop, get closer!

Focus on the eye, or at least the head. Use the center point, or a small center group. Don't let the camera decide the point of focus. The problem here is that you are too far from the bird and had to crop the image to 100%. That means everything must be perfect to get sharp detail, while there is room for error if you fill the frame.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
bjd said:
If images are not sharp, make sure you use a fast shutter speed. This is one of the fallacies of using IS. The birds move, and there is blur. Your photo is a 100% crop, get closer!

Focus on the eye, or at least the head. Use the center point, or a small center group. Don't let the camera decide the point of focus. The problem here is that you are too far from the bird and had to crop the image to 100%. That means everything must be perfect to get sharp detail, while there is room for error if you fill the frame.

Absolutely correct. Use spot focus on the eye and get in close. The 100-400mm is not the sharpest of lenses but it is great if you can fill the frame more. Even if you have everything spot on perfectly, you won't get the really sharp 100x800 crop that you can get with the best primes. But, closer up it will compete.

Upvote 0

Quasimodo

Easily intrigued :)
Feb 5, 2012
Oslo, Norway
www.500px.com

20100426-EMW_8631-L.jpg

Interesting. I was not aware that such a thing existed, and now I see that it does and at low price too :) I could not find any at B&H for the 600 EX RT.....?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011

Interesting. I was not aware that such a thing existed, and now I see that it does and at low price too :) I could not find any at B&H for the 600 EX RT.....?

The FX-3 is said to also fit the 600EX as well as the 580EX and 580 EX II

http://www.rpphoto.com/store/product_view.asp?cat=1&subcat=1&Id=102-007

Upvote 0

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
bjd said:

Cheers
In snow, the camera will think its gray, so you need to correct for color. Easy to do in post production Its also underexposed by over a stop. Snow fools the exposure system too, use the histogram to add exposure compensation or use manual exposure.

Easier said than done. In this case they move so fast, and I was so close, I was using the 61pt AF selection.
Speed was 1/1500 sec, there wasn't enough light for faster IMHO.
I was pretty close, probably around 2 meters away, making the time the birds are in frame very small.
PP cleans them up OK.

Took this later on with my 16-35 at 35mm.

Cheers Brian

Attachments

• _F8A0616.jpg
    _F8A0616.jpg
    800.8 KB · Views: 2,218
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.