Just gripped my 5D3 -- stick with the BlackRapid strap?

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Just picked up a used BG-E11 (first party, not a knock-off) for my 5D3.

Everything seems snugged up and secure and all the buttons, joystick, etc. work fine.

Was curious about carrying this beast around now. Do the gripped EF lens shooters here trust the grip's threaded mount for a BlackRapid strap attachment?

The BR strap has been 100% stable/secure when attached to the native body even with my largest lens (70-200 f/2.8L IS II), but I'm curious if 'stacking' the thread assembly like that has been associated with loosening, drops, damage to the 5D3's native threads, etc.

Please advise, oh wise CR forum dwellers. Thx.

- A

I do not use a sling style strap like Black Rapid, but if I am not mistaken it screws into the tripod socket? With a vertical grip, it seems to me this would make it extremely uncomfortable and awkard to shoot verticals. I mean the strap attachment will be sticking up where your palm is supposed to rest, isn't it?

As for how safe it is, I agree with the person above - I would not trust it.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi ahsanford.
I have a 7DII with 3rd party grip, close to the 5DIII weight, I have no hesitation to use the black rapid in the grip, but with a lens with a tripod foot I would use that in preference to the body mount. For a start I prefer the way the camera hangs, and I prefer the physics of the body hanging on the lens vs the lens hanging on the body when the lenses are that big.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
ajfotofilmagem said:
I have no BG-E11 to me for sure ... But with a 70-200mm 2.8II in the camera, and all this weight being supported on the thread of the screw on battery grip, I would not be able to sleep without nightmares ...

To have peace of mind, I would hold the 70-200mm tripod ring on Black Rapid strap.

I have zero concern with the 70-200 2.8 + 5D3 where I thread the BR into the body and not the foot. It's not a concern provided it's properly threaded in and you are simply walking with it. If you are running to follow a subject, if you are in a bump-into-things environment (sports, crowded social event, press event, etc.) then I might have a different opinion.

In fact, I don't like threading on the 70-200 foot because it dangles uncomfortably on my hip/leg. When you thread into the body, it feels more comfortable.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
scottkinfw said:
I've used BR for years and never a problem.

I would consider attaching to foot plates for bigger lenses, and maybe a good idea for your third party grip. You may want to get extra connectors from BR and use Lock Tite.

Enjoy.

Sek

I actually have the first party BG-E11, but that loctite idea is solid. It's never going on a tripod with a grip on, so why not just permanently affix the fastener to it?

Hmmm...

- A

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 3.32.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 3.32.54 PM.png
    146.4 KB · Views: 797
Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
scottkinfw said:
I've used BR for year and never a problem.

I would consider attaching to foot plates for bigger lenses, and maybe a good idea for your third party grip. You may want to get extra connectors from BR and use Lock Tite.

Enjoy.

Sek

I actually have the first party BG-E11, but that loctite idea is solid. It's never going on a tripod with a grip on, so why not just permanently affix the fastener to it?

Hmmm...

- A

I hate having that fastener dig into my hand when shooting portrait. There are very thin options out there, that you screw in the with an Allen key but I have not purchased any yet. Make sure the rubber piece on the fasteners stay on, they work as a lock washer. Mine fell off, and it unscrewed itself. My 5d3 fell from waist height and cracked the top cover right above the Canon logo. $320 later it's all better. But a lesson learned.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
ahsanford said:
Just picked up a used BG-E11

Was curious about carrying this beast around now. Do the gripped EF lens shooters here trust the grip's threaded mount for a BlackRapid strap attachment?

The BR strap has been 100% stable/secure when attached to the native body even with my largest lens (70-200 f/2.8L IS II), but I'm curious if 'stacking' the thread assembly like that has been associated with loosening, drops, damage to the 5D3's native threads, etc.

Please advise, oh wise CR forum dwellers. Thx.

- A

As I have posted here on more than one occasion, my relationship with BR ground to an instant halt when the thread in the base of a 5D Classic grip popped out, sending the whole rig in slow motion towards the floor. Ouch! It's a tripod thread, probably with a design intention that considered the downward pressure a tripod mounted camera will impose, not swinging in multi directions. When the thread popped out of the base it was apparent that this really was the weak link. Take what you want from this, but I wouldn't trust it.

My solution has been the (for me) almost flawless Peak Design strap. Perfect. I have five of them.
https://www.peakdesign.com/

-pw

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Have used BR straps for years, in Canon battery grips before getting the 1D X. Still, I wouldn't Loctite something into the tripod socket on the camera or grip.

I use Loctite to attach the lug to a Kirk 1" clamp, that attaches to the Arca plates on body or lens foot.

index.php

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
ahsanford said:
scottkinfw said:
I've used BR for years and never a problem.
You may want to get extra connectors from BR and use Lock Tite.
- A

Loctite may well lock the BR connector to the thread, but how well is the thread connected to the grip? Not as well as you'd hope as it turns out.

-pw

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
neuroanatomist said:
Have used BR straps for years, in Canon battery grips before getting the 1D X. Still, I wouldn't Loctite something into the tripod socket on the camera or grip.

I use Loctite to attach the lug to a Kirk 1" clamp, that attaches to the Arca plates on body or lens foot.

index.php

2nd this, I use the same setup.

Upvote 0
Same here, BR with a number of lens etc, however I also have a 10 pence piece of parra cord from the body to the main strap:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100ft-Survival-Bushcraft-7Strand-550-Paracord-Parachute-Cord-TYPE-III-Lanyard-/301973758209?var=&hash=item464f09e101:m:mxfJT6Y_hMYBaNpaaI7Ozvg

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Paracord-mini-carabiner-clips-x-3-snap-hook-keyring-EDC-bushcraft-survival-UK-/191862998710?var=&hash=item2cabed06b6:m:mcrY7mGAiihFsIN46SYfAXg

Just in case ;)

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Siclick.
I also use a similar setup, mine is based on A S compatible gear, but it was neuro's advice that led me in that direction.
I use a rather larger quick release lever clamp, makes it easy to quickly ditch the strap when it is being inconvenient. For safety I have an OpTech universal link between the camera strap and the rectangular loop on the Black Rapid.

Cheers, Graham.

slclick said:
neuroanatomist said:

index.php

2nd this, I use the same setup.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:

index.php

That's great for keeping Canon gear pristine, but I love the natural ergonomics of the ungripped 5D3 and hate handheld shooting with it with my Arca plate on. So I don't think I'd want to commit to that kind of solution, but thanks for offering.

Think I'll forego the loctite (directly into the grip) for now and just see how the gripped 5D3 handles for a bit with a really carefully secured BR nut before I do anything permanent to it.

- A

Upvote 0