Just MTF Charts: Canon Prime Lenses

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Lensrentals.com has posted their first in a series of MTF charts for Canon lenses, I imagine they’ll post other brand MTF charts as well. The first release is for Canon prime lenses, excluding tilt-shift lenses, those will be done in a separate article.
Roger explains the methodology of the testing:
This is the first post of a series of posts publishing all of our MTF results so that methodology is consistent, easy to find, and up-to-date. (For some of the older lenses there are graphs done with older software floating around. For a couple of lenses, there are incorrect graphs done before we worked out all of the details for sensor glass in the testing pathway. These are all current.)
Otherwise, there are no comparisons, no commentary, just the test results for you to use and abuse as you see fit. The major purpose is just to get these MTF charts organized and in one place where you can find them.
Just to avoid 4,200 comments: these are all average MTFs from multiple copies...

Continue reading...

Mar 20, 2015
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Yes, beaten by the Sigma 135mm 1.8 at a third of a stop faster. But keep handing-over your $1000 to Canon.

Right-hand section of top chart only, to compare to the Canon:

I admit to being surprised that the 135mm f2 held up so well, given my experience of it. But still no defence for continuing to churn-out a 30-year-old lens.
What about unreliable focusing of a brand new Sigma lens?
The 30 year old veteran has no problems... :ROFLMAO:
I'll just wait for the RF 1,4/135 , which won't have any focusing issues, and, in the meantime, enjoy my excellent 30 year-old veteran...whithout any focusing issues.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2018
What about unreliable focusing of a brand new Sigma lens?
The 30 year old veteran has no problems... :ROFLMAO:
I'll just wait for the RF 1,4/135 , which won't have any focusing issues, and, in the meantime, enjoy my excellent 30 year-old veteran...whithout any focusing issues.

only if you use 60 year old focusing technics in your DSLR.

try a mirrorless and you will not have AF isses with sigma lenses......

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The bashing of the wonderful 135 f/2L is senseless. It's no longer worthy due to its age? How sophomoric.
It's my favorite portrait lens all day long. :) Hmmmm... the Sigma wins on the chart, he says? Thankfully, I don't photograph charts. ;););) Best lens money I ever spent. My problem is always never quite getting DOF deep enough, but that's not the len's fault.

Attachments

• Gorgeous Mennonite Woman Indianapolis web.jpg
    Gorgeous Mennonite Woman Indianapolis web.jpg
    786.2 KB · Views: 669
  • Maria 8x10 web.jpg
    Maria 8x10 web.jpg
    458.9 KB · Views: 688
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
It's my favorite portrait lens all day long. :) Hmmmm... the Sigma wins on the chart, he says? Thankfully, I don't photograph charts. ;););) Best lens money I ever spent. My problem is always never quite getting DOF deep enough, but that's not the len's fault.
These photos are amazin, congratulations! :)
"I dont photograph charts" is a beautiful response also =)

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I had always felt that the L version of the 100F2.8 macro was significantly better, despite being told by many that the only real difference was the IS. These charts show a significant improvement!

My surprise from the charts is the 40F2.8. For the size and cost of the lens, that's incredible!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I had always felt that the L version of the 100F2.8 macro was significantly better, despite being told by many that the only real difference was the IS. These charts show a significant improvement!

My surprise from the charts is the 40F2.8. For the size and cost of the lens, that's incredible!
I used to have that lens (40mm f/2.8). It was really a nice little lens, but I never used it much. Once I got the 24-70 it never got used again, but just because the zoom is more versatile. Canon makes some really nice lenses. Canon's zooms are so good. I've never owned a Canon macro lens, unfortunately.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
how does one read these charts?
Do a search for MTF Charts. Its far to complex to explain how to read them.

Higher is better, the resolution goes from the center of the lens on the left to the outside edge on the right. Macro lenses and copy lenses want a flat line, for portraits, many want the center sharp and the edges softer.

Upvote 0
Yes, beaten by the Sigma 135mm 1.8 at a third of a stop faster. But keep handing-over your $1000 to Canon.

Right-hand section of top chart only, to compare to the Canon:

I admit to being surprised that the 135mm f2 held up so well, given my experience of it. But still no defence for continuing to churn-out a 30-year-old lens.

I don't care about that Sigma, or any Sigma. I said that the old 135/2L is fabulous according to the chart. And in real life too.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
It is great to have the wide open data, but is there a resource for stopped down data for all of these lens? The closest that I am aware of is over at TDP, which has stopped down data for some, but not all. For example:

Stopped down data for the 24 mm L II but not the 50 mm L. Also, some of the Sigma data seems to be missing.

Just trying to see if there is a useful link where I can use the data for apples to apples comparisons.

Upvote 0