Just preordered the 5DIII, price is definitely $3499.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
I've just seen this. Price increases have been discussed back in 2010 already...
"Many people have commented that the price tag for the EOS 5D Mark III will be unusually high, but I strongly question that theory. Canon have, more often than not, priced their cameras at roughly the same price as the replacement model and often even less expensive."And his guess unfortunately was wrong...
"My guess is that where the 5D began the DSLR revolution for indie filmmakers, the 5D Mark III will take it further to levels that rock the very core of modern filmmaking in television and cinema."

http://kriskoster.com/2010/09/canon-5d-mark-iii-release/

As we are talking about price tags: what will be the on-line price in let's say 12 month from now?
As a comparison only: D800 price tag at retail shops: CHF 3398 vs CHF 2600 at online-shops.
Thx. You may indicate the situation in the U.S., because we are often quite close. The US$ often is taken for pricing in CHF.
Thank you!

Upvote 0
T

Thethieme

When it comes to buying camera equipment it really sucks living in Sweden. If the price is 3500 usd, we will most likely be paying 30000-35000 sek here. Thats 4400-5200 usd. Even though the dollar is about 6,7sek the price most often is 1usd=10 sek. Luckily i will be in the US june-september. While there I will pick up a 5diii and a 85L. The 85 is 22000sek (again 10 times the price in dollars which is 2200). 22000 sek is 3200 usd. Yeah, Swedish prices suck.

Upvote 0
Just because the preorder price is $3499.99, doesn't mean the retail price will be that. Yes, it's a good indication, but until the MSRP is announced by Canon we won't know for sure.

That being said, I was skeptical at first (thinking that $3500 must be the kit price), but that number is consistently mentioned. I'm starting to believe it. Maybe just an echo chamber, maybe the truth. Only time will tell.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
ramon123 said:
Can someone please find the correct answer to the following;

1. which kit lens is coming with the 5D3? are there going to be 2 kits?
2. if the price of the body is $3499 then how much will the kit be?
3. how can one justify a $1500 increase on body only? $2000 vs $3500

It's not fair to compare the current price of the 5DII. The 5DII was $2700 initially so really the difference is $800.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
tonyp said:
That could've been a place holder price put in by the store itself.. possibly based on rumor... you never know

Nope, it wasn't. They got the SKU last night and he said that is definitely the final price. These guys have a great relationship with Canon and I have a great relationship with them. Plus the guy that gave me the price got absolutely no information from the web, that price was solely based on the SKU they have for it.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2011
bvukich said:
Just because the preorder price is $3499.99, doesn't mean the retail price will be that. Yes, it's a good indication, but until the MSRP is announced by Canon we won't know for sure.

That being said, I was skeptical at first (thinking that $3500 must be the kit price), but that number is consistently mentioned. I'm starting to believe it. Maybe just an echo chamber, maybe the truth. Only time will tell.

I'm hoping the MSRP will come down even a couple of hundred bucks?? :-\

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
RC said:
Dang, I was hoping the $3500 was an error and it was going to be $3000 or less. :( Well I can't afford one now anyway even if it is $2500. If figure I'm a year away and hopefully the price will slide below 3K. Maybe there will a less expensive version without video.

There is, it's called the 5D Mark II ;) But seriously I'm sure the price will come down by Christmas time.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
I've seen the 5DmkIII listed on Teds (here in Australia) for AUD$4200 body only, or AUD$6800 with "24-70mm" (I note it doesn't say "24-70mm II"!) :eek:

My experience over several years is that Teds list / marked prices are usually higher than some other bricks and mortar stores, however some Teds staff are willing to give a generous discount / reduction. ;)

As with most electronic products, I expect the price of the 5DmkIII to reduce as time progresses, so that probably by the end of 2012 it will be selling substantially cheaper, and there will also be products available via SE Asia or the grey market, cheaper again. :D

I look forward to people buying, using, enjoying the 5DmkIII and sharing great photographs from it. :)

Happy photography everyone! 8)

Paul

Upvote 0
C

corntrollio

Axilrod said:
Also everyone needs to take the weakness of the US dollar into account, it definitely isn't what it was in 2008. I think they are just trying to be safe in case the currency exchange gets any weaker.

How does the price of the 5D3 in yen vs. the 5D2 in yen compare? My impression was that Canon tends to set pricing in yen, which is much stronger now than before, which was heavily discussed in the 24-70 2.8 II threads.

In addition, it's completely unfair to say the rumored price for the 5D3 is $1500 more than the 5D2, since $2000 is the street price of the 5D2 after several years of the camera being available. It's more fair to compare the rumored price to the original MSRP of the 5D2 when released.

Upvote 0
Axilrod said:
jalbfb said:
I'm hoping the MSRP will come down even a couple of hundred bucks?? :-\

I'm sure it will, it's just a question of when, maybe Xmas 2012? But hell if you can pay $3300 you should be able to pay $3500.

If released at $3500, and if the pricing follows a similar trajectory as the mkII, we should see pricing (after rebate) getting close to $3000 by Christmas 2013, and around $2700 by Christmas 2014.

You make a good point though. A difference of a couple of hundred dollars isn't really significant. I'm a broke amateur that was planning on spending around $3500 for the kit, but one way or another I'll come up with the difference.

Upvote 0
R

RealityCheck

I do not know why so many people are complaining about the price in conjunction with the mp... just ignorant consumers mislead by marketing I guess.
1) You do not know for certain what the specifications are yet to be whining about them (though we will see in hours).
2) You do not know what performance the camera will have across the very broad spectrum of photography.
3) YOU DO NOT NEED SUPER HIGH MEGAPIXELS FOR ANYTHING! You simply need to learn more about the art of photography, and stop sitting in front of your computer hoping for some gigapixel pervcam to come along.
4) Super megapixels do not make the camera more suited to any type of photography than another. Medium format cameras have higher megapixels because they have larger sensors! Larger sensors have higher resolve. In addition, the supposedly best performing MF body (PhaseOne/180) uses pixel binning to get that performance - which lowers the pixel count as far as capturing detail. All you ignorant pixelhounds need to learn about the technology and stop listening to what some marketing team or other technology blind consumer tells you.
The more pixels crammed into a smaller sensor the less broad the cameras use becomes. Sure, there is certainly a sweet spot (usage/sacrifice) but without a change in the way cmos sensors are designed/made we have already started seeing diminishing returns - such as the shooting requirements for the D800 where tripods and lighting will be the norm instead of just walking around with a camera like we all need these tools to do in some capacity.

Canon had lead this tier of photography since the 5DmkII came out. They feel they have improved the body in all regards of that tier - hence the initial selling price.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.