Just returned a Sony Alpha 7R III after a week

I have been using Canon since 2001. I Currently have a 1DX Mark II. I am a full time pro photographer doing fashion, glamour and now architectural photos. I wanted to try the Sony for a while after seeing all the great reviews. I only have one lens (24-70 2.8) and that's all I need. I don't do video on the camera or need 10fps. I just wanted better dynamic range and more Mega Pixels.

The camera takes great photos but it is NOT a professional camera. Maybe I am spoiled by how easy it is to work with a Canon camera, but I find the Sony to be absolutely impossible to use for fast work. The ergonomics are just awful. Nothing is in the right place or within reach of your fingers. The camera, even with the grip, is too small, too skinny and to light for its own 24-70 lens, which, by the way, is too big, heavy and long compared to the Canon. Nothing wrong with a big lens, but when the grip of the camera is so skinny, it becomes a problem. The EVF is horrible. It flickers at night with lights and it "lies". You never know what you are going to get. It is either too bright or too dark and everything looks artificial. It has a proximity sensor for switching from EVF to LCD but if the camera is on a table and you are trying to go thru the menus or look at photos, the sensor thinks your hands are your face and it will turn off the LCD in favor of the EVF. Totally stupid. The Menus and interface are super slow. Like everything else on the camera, it takes time. Nothing like the "instant everything" on the Canon. The battery has a bad life and Housed in a plastic container in the grip, it looks cheap and "consumer"... My main problem with the camera is the EVF/LCD combo. Let's say you take a photo looking thru the EVF; there are a couple of choices for auto review: 1 is off, 2 seconds, etc. So, turn it off, and the EVF is blank and ready for another photo, but you don't see the photo you just took unless you click the play button, which takes a bit of time, btw... So, choose 2 seconds, you see the photo on the LCD but ALSO on the EVF. So, you don't really know of you are looking at the live image or the one you just took until you press the shutter half way! :mad:

Quality wise, it is an impressive camera. The photos are just perfect. Great focusing, great Dynamic Range and accurate colors, but in my opinion and for my needs, it doesn't work. It is not a true Professional camera. It's great for tripod and studio work or landscapes but if you need ergonomics to change things on the fly while shooting, it sucks. Sadly, it is not for me. I really wanted to like it but I am disappointed. Hopefully Canon will introduce a mirrorless camera in September at Photokina. I will wait and stick with my 1DX II until then. Back to B&H the Alpha a7R III goes. Happy Shooting!

Reactions: 4 users

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Thanks for sharing your experience. The grass is not always greener...
+1 here

The ergonomics are just awful. Nothing is in the right place or within reach of your fingers. The camera, even with the grip, is too small, too skinny and to light for its own 24-70 lens, which, by the way, is too big, heavy and long compared to the Canon. Nothing wrong with a big lens, but when the grip of the camera is so skinny, it becomes a problem. ...
Maybe those that are always in favour for the small (edit:) FF MILC bodies with dedicated lenses because of size read this.
This is what has always been said.

FF+MILC+wide aperture (or professional zooms) = NOT SMALL, but an ergonomic nightmare.
OR you'll need a body sized like a xD series. Let't see how Conon is interpreting this job.

Thank you, clicstudio, for confirming this here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I’m curious: if you don’t need high FPS, and want more pixels, did you try the 5d4 or 5dsr? Same familiar ergonomics.
If so, what were your reasons for dismissing in favor of the a7 series?
The dynamic range of Canon still lags behind Nikon and Sony... You have to see the quality of the Sony camera, it's impressive. Sadly it is not in a Canon body...

Upvote 0
Very interesting hands-on (or half-off?) feedback. Thanks for sharing.

Not knocking your feedback either, but would more time with the camera have helped the muscle/finger memory of how to use it, or is the layout just that badly thought out that it wouldn't make a difference?
I spent enough time with it to know it won't work for me. The quality of the photos is incredible. Much better than Canon, but the dials, the menus, the lag and latency and the slow operation are the deal breakers for me.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
The dynamic range of Canon still lags behind Nikon and Sony... You have to see the quality of the Sony camera, it's impressive. Sadly it is not in a Canon body...

What exactly is so much better? I’m honestly curious. Data shows that the 5d4 is less than a stop difference in DR, and there’s only a what, 12 or 14MP difference? Did that really make such a difference for your style of shooting? ( I know it’s barely significant for my casual travel photography :) )

Upvote 0
What exactly is so much better? I’m honestly curious. Data shows that the 5d4 is less than a stop difference in DR, and there’s only a what, 12 or 14MP difference? Did that really make such a difference for your style of shooting? ( I know it’s barely significant for my casual travel photography :) )
I have the best Canon and the Sony. That extra stop in DR is huge. Believe it or not. I did a side by side comparison and I was blown away with the Sony and the way you can push the highlights/shadows without any loss in quality. Trust me, I did all the possible tests and the Sony blows anything from Canon away. I wish I could remove the Sony sensor snd put it into the Canon's body!!

Upvote 0
I have the best Canon and the Sony. That extra stop in DR is huge. Believe it or not. I did a side by side comparison and I was blown away with the Sony and the way you can push the highlights/shadows without any loss in quality. Trust me, I did all the possible tests and the Sony blows anything from Canon away. I wish I could remove the Sony sensor snd put it into the Canon's body!!

That's not true. A lot of people (Dustin Abbot for example) which I believe them a lot more than a anonymous forum writer, have done comparisons between the 5D IV, D850 and A7RIII and the difference in dynamic range is not that big (of course, there is a little advantage to the sony sensors). Claim that the sensors from sony "blow away" the canon sensor is an exageration, even a lie. And, if you are so interested in dynamic range, you can gain an extra stop using dual pixel raw, now that you have a canon 5d mark IV.

Upvote 0
That's not true. A lot of people (Dustin Abbot for example) which I believe them a lot more than a anonymous forum writer, have done comparisons between the 5D IV, D850 and A7RIII and the difference in dynamic range is not that big (of course, there is a little advantage to the sony sensors). Claim that the sensors from sony "blow away" the canon sensor is an exageration, even a lie. And, if you are so interested in dynamic range, you can gain an extra stop using dual pixel raw, now that you have a canon 5d mark IV.

First of all I don't like being called a liar. Your comment is out of line. Second I am not an anonymous forum writer. I have been a Pro for 17 years and have 2 websites and my own studio, so, anonymous my A$$. Second, I own a 1DX II, not a 5D IV.
Third, who gave you the right to question my review? DO you have both Canon and Sony cameras to do a real side by side compraro? No. Then whoever Dustin Abbot is, I don't care. I know what I am doing and the Sony is MUCH better than any Canon available today. I don't have to read someone else's reviews to see if a camera or lens work for me. I know what I need and I know what to do to make sure I fully use the equipment to it's full potential. That's what this is all about. I have 2 of the best cameras in the market and they both lack something... I am not going to waste my time anymore and show you the side by side samples because then I will make you feel bad and you will have to shove your words on the other side of your intestinal system. Go learn photography and stop reading anonymous forum writer's posts.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
Let’s all get back to being civil, shall we? With that said:

Try borrow a 5d4 from somewhere and do the same test. The 5d4 sensor is a significant improvement over the 1dx 2.

You might find it a better fit for your needs, and at the very least, I’d be interested in hearing whether you changed your mind and the reasons after you looked at a 5d4.

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Let’s all get back to being civil, shall we? With that said:

Try borrow a 5d4 from somewhere and do the same test. The 5d4 sensor is a significant improvement over the 1dx 2.

You might find it a better fit for your needs, and at the very least, I’d be interested in hearing whether you changed your mind and the reasons after you looked at a 5d4.
I do own and use Canon 5D Mark IV and Canon 1DX (Mark 1, the original one, not mark 2 though...) and I have to say that while the 5D Mark IV greatly improved over its predecessor (Canon 5D Mark III), I don't see much change in the sensor, as opposed to Canon 1DX. Not at low ISO, not at high ISO.
Since Canon 1DX Mark II is supposed to be better than the first generation I would think it's also better than 5D Mark IV.

With my 5D Mark IV when shooting landscapes it's possible that the contrast is way to huge for the camera to handle, especially for photos taken around noon. I know you're not "supposed" to do that but as a tourist visiting a remote location you don't always have the luxury to return for the golden hour.
As I said, the 5D Mark IV is better than 5D Mark III when lifting shadows and (or) recovering highlights but it could be better. Other than that, I just love that camera!

Nelu

Upvote 0
First of all I don't like being called a liar. Your comment is out of line. Second I am not an anonymous forum writer. I have been a Pro for 17 years and have 2 websites and my own studio, so, anonymous my A$$. Second, I own a 1DX II, not a 5D IV.
Third, who gave you the right to question my review? DO you have both Canon and Sony cameras to do a real side by side compraro? No. Then whoever Dustin Abbot is, I don't care. I know what I am doing and the Sony is MUCH better than any Canon available today. I don't have to read someone else's reviews to see if a camera or lens work for me. I know what I need and I know what to do to make sure I fully use the equipment to it's full potential. That's what this is all about. I have 2 of the best cameras in the market and they both lack something... I am not going to waste my time anymore and show you the side by side samples because then I will make you feel bad and you will have to shove your words on the other side of your intestinal system. Go learn photography and stop reading anonymous forum writer's posts.

Well you did say "Sony blows anything from Canon away."
Maybe Sebasan would not have taken offense if you had just said it blew Canon's flagship 1D XII away.

I got lost in your OP review and cheated to the important part. I wanted to know the final decision.
I think the last line of your OP said all I needed to hear.
"I will wait and stick with my 1DX II until then. Back to B&H the Alpha a7R III goes. Happy Shooting "

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
And who gave you the right to call Dustin Abbot 'whoever'? GIYF

I have to agree with clicstudio - if he has found that the Canon camers do not match up under his requirements then does it matter what Dustin Abbot thinks? For myself I will take the views of a reviewer into account when buying gear, but once I have it in my hands the only person's view that matters is my own. If it does not match someone else's then I decide if there is more to investigate and that decision will depend on the reputation they have.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0