Just returned a Sony Alpha 7R III after a week

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
The problem that arises is that statements like "blows away" are very subjective, perhaps exaggeration, and almost meaningless without the photos that demonstrate the difference. To really have impact every claim needs to be accompanied by illustration/proof. If no proof is forthcoming, then take it with a grain of salt.

I feel the assessment was fair regarding ergonomics but lacking regarding photo quality. Of course as an opinion, no problem, it's interesting.:)

I believe my 1DX2 blows every camera ever made out of the water (when loaded with gun powder)! And I've been shooting Canon since 1973! However, I'm not a explosives expert, so what do I know. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0
The problem that arises is that statements like "blows away" are very subjective, perhaps exaggeration, and almost meaningless without the photos that demonstrate the difference. To really have impact every claim needs to be accompanied by illustration/proof. If no proof is forthcoming, then take it with a grain of salt.

I feel the assessment was fair regarding ergonomics but lacking regarding photo quality. Of course as an opinion, no problem, it's interesting.:)

I believe my 1DX2 blows every camera ever made out of the water (when loaded with gun powder)! And I've been shooting Canon since 1973! However, I'm not a explosives expert, so what do I know. ;)

Jack
This was just supposed to be an honest review and everybody seems to get defensive. It is very usual in these forums. I don't know why I even wasted time posting it.
I didn't even need to process the raw file to see that it was already so much better out of the camera. When u work with one machine everyday, you know what it is capable of. As soon as I saw those clouds and sky appear in Lightroom, I was like WHOOA! I love Canon but they need to step it up in terms of quality. They got the best lens lineup and the best bodies, ergonomics and ease of use but taking 4-5 years between upgrades on their flagship cameras is too long. Maybe it was OK in 1973 but now, things move as fast as Fuse for a Cannon. Maybe this is what Canon needs... Cheers!A67Z_1_20170113292037619.jpg

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Another problem is that it's not fair to call it a review. An opinion, OK. Valid opinion - to some extent but as far as I can assess it's greatly exaggerated otherwise every Canon shooter would be out of work. Collectively these opinions help us come to conclusions when we're purchasing gear so I appreciate the post.

Jack

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
Many of us here are aware of the DR differences at base ISO for Canon vs SoNikon. It's been quite a popular argument topic.

In clicstudio's case the ergonomics and user interface still take precedence, especially considering electronic publishing as the final output.
For some of us, maximum IQ matters more than overall handling especially if we're going to output large format final product with a lot of post work along the way.

The 5d4, 1dx2 and most FF SoNikons all perform very similarly in IQ after 200-400 ISO (according to test metrics)
It's only at base (100) iso where you'll find a significant improvement with SoNikon.

The 1dx2 is optimized for speed so will have a little more read-noise than similar but slower FF Canons.

I am curious what ISO ranges you shot the a7r3 at.
Do you mostly shoot at base ISO or did you find higher ISO settings were also providing you with some IQ improvements over the 1dx2?

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I am not going to waste my time anymore and show you the side by side samples
Ok...

Sony Magic... Look ma, there are white clouds and a blue sky out there! Try to do this on any Canon... It makes me want to cry HAHAHAHA o_O Excuse the mess ;)
And what is it supposed to show?

An old 5D mk II with its bad, noisy sensor, no Photoshop layers, no LR - only ACR:
5dII-srgb.jpg
Sorry for the mess, yeah.

I would personally never shoot something like that for myself, but whatever floats your boat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
With my 5D Mark IV when shooting landscapes it's possible that the contrast is way to huge for the camera to handle, especially for photos taken around noon. I know you're not "supposed" to do that but as a tourist visiting a remote location you don't always have the luxury to return for the golden hour.
As I said, the 5D Mark IV is better than 5D Mark III when lifting shadows and (or) recovering highlights but it could be better. Other than that, I just love that camera!

Nelu

I’m in the same boat. Casual travel photography. But at high noon, I don’t think there is any camera current that can capture the huge dynamic range of harsh shadow and light contrast of the midday sun. 5d4 does better than any previous canon, and while the Sony sensors do a little better, it’s not by much - not enough to really change what and where you can shoot.

I’m happy to be proved wrong with examples of course.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014

Did you find that the AF focus of the Sony got you shots that the 1dx didn’t? Or did the frustrations of the handling not give you the opportunity to really measure this? Because if your final conclusion is that the AF performance on the Sony really was superior, as was the sensor and image quality, then that’s huge. You’re saying that the core tech is amazing, they just need to fix their ergonomics and handling. Which is easy - if you care as a company.

To be honest, I have the 5d4, and I think it’s fantastic, and can’t imagine how another camera can really change the imagarey I get by that much. But I don’t do portraiture, so I appreciate that you have needs/perspective/standards that I don’t see.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
It took me MUCH longer than a week to get used to the A7RII layout compared to the 5D III it replaced and as a companion to my primary body, the 5DSR. I would have to say it probably took at least a month of actual use, maybe more, before I was comfortable with it. Same with the EOS M5. I originally hated the layout but now I'm perfectly comfortable with it, and I enjoy using the Sony and don't have any problems any more.

Now, you may hate the A7III layout, and that's fine and you certainly need to make your mind up fast enough to be able to get a refund on your purchase, I can understand that. But I think that it takes quite a bit longer than a week to get used to a change like this, and I can also understand if you're trying to run a business you don't have time to get used to something so drastically different.

But I don't think the majority of Sony shooters have any major issue with the layout.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Always happy when someone gets to the point they are happy with gear, but even the infotainer/internet reviewers that LOVE the Sony to pieces have issues with the handling. If you want, check out TN & CN at ~5:05 in this comparison of the A7RIII vs D850 (I admit, I was curious how the they would compare these two cameras):

This was after 8 months of use.

Upvote 0
THe 1DX II is the flagship. So anything under it is less good, if u want. So if the Sony beats the 1DX therefore it beats anything else, right?

Not exactly, when the 1D line combined after the 1D IV the resolution line went to the 5D III and the speed and durability went to the 1Dx. Before you had the 1D III and the 1Ds III. So in some aspects the 5D line is "less good" however its intended purpose is different and in some aspects it is "better".

I thought that Canon was pushing the 5D line as a studio camera for your type of work.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
U know what? All this talk made me realize I have the 2 best cameras for my purposes. So why not keep Both? Thanx to all of you for helping me see there is no "one" camera to do it all. I will keep both systems and use them accordingly. I think it's the best decision. I will still do some more comparisons just because I can't help it. But I.will try to.make the Sony work. Cheers and Thanx again

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
U know what? All this talk made me realize I have the 2 best cameras for my purposes. So why not keep Both? Thanx to all of you for helping me see there is no "one" camera to do it all. I will keep both systems and use them accordingly. I think it's the best decision. I will still do some more comparisons just because I can't help it. But I.will try to.make the Sony work. Cheers and Thanx again

Sounds like a great outcome. Give us an update in a month or two and let us know how your thoughts have progressed after you’ve used the Sony more.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
The last number of posts since mine were bang on and the final outcome makes a lot of sense. Now further feedback can be helpful if it's provided in the weeks ahead.

It can happen that some of us have ways of thinking/doing that align more with certain folk than others. So it is with the ergonomics. I love Canon's format and hated Nikon, although my experience was only a year with a D5100. I'm positive that I would hate the small Sony body with a large lens such as I am almost always using. I could do with a little less weight than the 1DX2 and for my smallish hands it's a tiny bit large but the features it has and the ergonomics are ... lovable! And I am now using it for video and pleased. If Canon had only given me a few extra pixels in this great body but why fret, my photos usually at higher ISOs are "pretty nice".:)

Exaggerating a bit here, but what makes me frustrated/angry is stuff like not having great AF options right at my fingertips the moment I need them more so than looking at a finalized photo and saying, you know this could be 2% better in its tonal range. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Mike, the 1DX2 is super relative to its button programmability. For example I have the upper front button as "enlarge review of the shot" and the one below it as one shot <-> servo. The 2 back buttons give me AF choices that differ from my shutter AF, instantly, for BIF etc. And those who don't have such a fast shutter I don't think realize how catching a movement of even a stationary creature in a burst, can provide that subtle difference in eye contact or pose. I love all that and probably could never be satisfied losing those things and only wish Canon had gone slightly higher in MPs to aid me a little with reach. However, my reach issue diminished when I went to the 400 DO that I love and no one else makes!! I refuse to be dissatisfied.;)

Jack

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
Mike, the 1DX2 is super relative to its button programmability. For example I have the upper front button as "enlarge review of the shot" and the one below it as one shot <-> servo. The 2 back buttons give me AF choices that differ from my shutter AF, instantly, for BIF etc. And those who don't have such a fast shutter I don't think realize how catching a movement of even a stationary creature in a burst, can provide that subtle difference in eye contact or pose. I love all that and probably could never be satisfied losing those things and only wish Canon had gone slightly higher in MPs to aid me a little with reach. However, my reach issue diminished when I went to the 400 DO that I love and no one else makes!! I refuse to be dissatisfied.;)

Jack
HEHE! For what you're shooting, yes the d5100 would have been disappointing.
It's still a great little camera for a lot of "slow" work tho and the raw files are pretty good even tho it's now 6-7 years old;
In fact, I just picked up a mint used one for $100 this week! Gonna carve it up for an IR conversion.

If you like taking fast bursts to get a really nice selection to choose from then some upcoming FF ML monster may serve you well.
Your low light shooting sort of precludes using something like the MFT flagships that'll get you 60 FPS on those still shots if you want since CAF isn't required.
When you do need some CAF, they're about as fast as your 1dx2 in frame-rate.

Another generation or 2 of ML development and you'll have a fast, SILENT camera for your favorite woodland subjects and probably with comparable AF tracking to the best mirror-slappers.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB

THAT is the best solution. IF you know what to expect you can pick the better tool for the job.
(sez the guy who shoots with 4 systems including 2 ML brands)

Upvote 0