Just starting Macros - First examples.

Thanks for the replies all.
This one came out pretty good yea Ant. Most of them however are out of focus pretty good.
I'm not sure what is happening. Its in focus through the view finder but when I look at the file its not in focus.

The Kenko tube u mean is Kenko Macro Automatic Extension Tube Set DG for Canon EOS on amazon?
I am not familiar with them.

Scott

And yes Mt. I find that a fly will pose as long as you are still haha.

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
wsgroves said:
This one came out pretty good yea Ant. Most of them however are out of focus pretty good.
I'm not sure what is happening. Its in focus through the view finder but when I look at the file its not in focus.

The Kenko tube u mean is Kenko Macro Automatic Extension Tube Set DG for Canon EOS on amazon?

Scott

Yup. http://www.amazon.com/Kenko-Macro-Automatic-Extension-Canon/dp/B000U8Y88M

Allows you to get closer to the subject than the min focusing distance of the lens. Eats a bit of light though...

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Very nice.

wsgroves said:
I just started yesterday and have a lot to learn. I started with a fly as I have read on here. I'll post more as I get some.
Thanks,

7D Canon 100 2.8 Macro.
At some point I my have to get the L version as I see IS being needed for this stuff.

100% crop on the Fly.

Scott

Upvote 0

Ryan708

Less bickering, more shooting
Mar 1, 2012
New Hampshire
I use a 25mm Kenko tube on my 50 1.8 and it gets great results. The problem with extension tubes is while they work great to get a smaller minimum focal distance, they limit the total focus range A LOT.

my 50mm 1.8 only has a total of about 3" focus travel with the 25mm tube on. On my 17-70 the subject was touching the filter and still not quite close enough to focus. On my 70-300 the min focus distance was about 3 feet, and the max was around 5 feet, that was pretty much useless! But on my 50mm I LOVE it.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
wsgroves said:

Scott

I'd use live view for focusing, I can't do a good job of focusing thru the viewfinder.

For very small objects, and when using extension tubes in particular, consider use of a focus rail mounted to their tripod head. This moves the entire camera toward or away from the subject in fine increments. They often include a feature to move side to side as well.

Here is a link to a cheap one that might be ok for a starter. Like all things photographic, the price goes up very fast as you get a little improvement in quality.
http://www.amazon.com/Macro-Focusing-Slider-Close-up-Shooting/dp/B009SJ7UWU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1374716571&sr=8-5&keywords=focus+rail

Upvote 0
wsgroves said:
I just started yesterday and have a lot to learn. I started with a fly as I have read on here. I'll post more as I get some.
Thanks,

7D Canon 100 2.8 Macro.
At some point I my have to get the L version as I see IS being needed for this stuff.

100% crop on the Fly.

Scott

Nicely done! If I may suggest, I think proper lighting is more of a requirement than getting the L version of your lens since optically, they're almost the same. With proper lighting, like MT 24EX or equivalent, you'll be able to significantly raise your shutter speed and get better colors. I'm also a newbie at macro photography but I think you'll agree with me that colors become more vibrant with good flash. I'm still very new at this so please forgive me if it's still imperfect... (not yet well diffused). See sample below:

7991193441_12bbdb2c12_n.jpg

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Really good photo for just starting out in macro. Well done.

As was previously stated, IS doesn't help that much for many macro shots (eg you're limited by shallow dof / movement in camera, or subject. I have used the 100mm L USM IS, but to save quite a few hundred dollars at time of purchase, I went with the 100mm USM - which optically is basically identical to the L.

Using a tripod, and flash - can be important for various macro shots.

Best wishes

Paul

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
Menace said:
Well done - keep practicing and enjoy.

I've owned both the IS and non IS version of the EF100 2.8 - optically they are very similar.

Attached pic was taken with a 5d III + EF100 2.8 hand held with on-camera diffused flash.

Cheers
Wow! You are an insect whisperer! How do they hold so still when you are shooting them?

Upvote 0

Quasimodo

Easily intrigued :)
Feb 5, 2012
Oslo, Norway
www.500px.com
rpt said:
wsgroves said:

Scott

Allows you to get closer to the subject than the min focusing distance of the lens. Eats a bit of light though...

Well done Scott!

Do these Kenko work with my 100L also, and can they be stacked; and if so will it mess with AF and exif data? :)

Upvote 0
Quasimodo said:
rpt said:
wsgroves said:

Scott

Well done Scott!

Do these Kenko work with my 100L also, and can they be stacked; and if so will it mess with AF and exif data? :)
Yes the Kenko tubes can be stacked, I have used them for both my 100 (non-L) macro and my 135 and there is no reason why they shouldn't work with the L version. AF still works, but I prefer manual focus for macro and often need to use the viewfinder handheld, as there often isn't time to set up a tripod with insects (unless early morning/late evening). Also, EXIF data remains unchanged.
Rather than using focus stacking (handheld not ideal), I often go with the narrow depth of field and creat a more artistic effect, trying to make sure the eyes are in focus.

Upvote 0

Quasimodo

Easily intrigued :)
Feb 5, 2012
Oslo, Norway
www.500px.com
Kernuak said:
Quasimodo said:
rpt said:
wsgroves said:

Scott

Well done Scott!

Yes the Kenko tubes can be stacked, I have used them for both my 100 (non-L) macro and my 135 and there is no reason why they shouldn't work with the L version. AF still works, but I prefer manual focus for macro and often need to use the viewfinder handheld, as there often isn't time to set up a tripod with insects (unless early morning/late evening). Also, EXIF data remains unchanged.
Rather than using focus stacking (handheld not ideal), I often go with the narrow depth of field and creat a more artistic effect, trying to make sure the eyes are in focus.

Upvote 0

Menace

New Zealand
Apr 5, 2012
New Zealand
rpt said:
Menace said:
Well done - keep practicing and enjoy.

I've owned both the IS and non IS version of the EF100 2.8 - optically they are very similar.

Attached pic was taken with a 5d III + EF100 2.8 hand held with on-camera diffused flash.

Cheers
Wow! You are an insect whisperer! How do they hold so still when you are shooting them?

Hey thanks for that.

Trick is being very still, get a good grip on the camera body and controlled breathing ;)

But for my focus stacking work, my Gitzo tripod is a must.

Cheers

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The beauty of the "L" lens is its fast AF and its IS when you want to hand hold your rig.

A really serious Macro Photographer is going to use a tripod, and IS is of little value then.

I'm a non serious Macro photographer who likes to photograph whatever I see while I'm out walking around. I'm the type of person the 100L was made for :)

Here are some hand held shots. Not in the same ball park as serious macro shots, however, I can take good images without a big setup. My first priority would be getting better lighting, most of these are just ambient light, but the June beetle had a flash on the camera.

On my Raspberry bushes:
Minolta%20SRT-101IMG_0676-L.jpg

Hornet!
canon%20100mm%20005-L.jpg

Aphids
EMW12376-L.jpg

Baby Robins
EMW12393-L.jpg

10 lined June Beetle

untitled-2004-3-L.jpg

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
A really serious Macro Photographer is going to use a tripod, and IS is of little value then.

I don't really agree with the tripod there. Most bugs move constantly. There is no time for setting up a tripod. In addition bugs move their limbs quite fast and hairs wave in the wind, so a decent shutter speed is often needed anyway.

Upvote 0