Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
I took these on my first outing with my new 70-200 f2.8L II, I have to say I was completely blown away by its sharpness and focusing speed, ok my only previous reference has been my third party lenses, but wow!
Sorry no shot details, I have posted these from my iPad and it is too painfull trying to get the exif, it is in the images.
Perhaps later when I have time to sit at a pc I will put the details on. Shots straight from camera, shot raw + Ljpeg, thanks to the 7D frame rate and buffer depth with this setting I got what I think are some cool shots.

This young lady saw me getting set up and was very kind and waited for a thumbs up before going!

IMG_4421 by Valvebounce25, on Flickr

This guy practically submerged when he landed!

IMG_4430 by Valvebounce25, on Flickr

Airborne.

IMG_4465 by Valvebounce25, on Flickr

This guy rolled, and is seen recovering.

IMG_4562 by Valvebounce25, on Flickr

These guys just thought it would be fun to jump from the bridge! First shot trying to pan at 9.8m/s!

IMG_4606 by Valvebounce25, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, constructive criticism, suggestions welcome.

Cheers Graham.

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Don.
One of these guys did apparently bring his DSLR and tripod in his, as it was set up on the bank to record their exploits, think it was a 400D and kit lens. He hadn't been over the rapids with it though, they have GO PRO's on helmet mounts for that.
I have seen lots of the pics you post on here taken from your kayak, hope the ice is thinning on your river!

Cheers Graham.

Don Haines said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi folks.
Now come on 43 views and no one bothered to say they're crap don't give up yer day job? ::)
Perhaps I should go proffesional? ;D

Cheers Graham
My Kayak pictures are always from the kayak..... and no, I do not go over waterfalls while holding a DSLR...

Upvote 0
I think the biggest drop my DSLR has been off of was a 35 foot waterfall in chile... Granted, it was safely in a pelican case in the back of my boat at the time. ;-)

In general, I like these shots. Timing is good, and they're loosely cropped enough that you get a sense of the overall scene, which I like. My only advice would be on Airborne, to see if you can't get a lower vantage point (so you're shooting up at the paddler), I think that would emphasize the height of the drop and add more drama. I'll see if I can find any examples to show what I'm talking about in my library.

Upvote 0
A bit overcooked, but here's what I mean about the perspective. This drop may be a little taller than the one in your 3rd image (This one is about 10 feet, I'm guessing that one is 8), but there's something about shooting from below that just emphasizes the height...

Attachments

• zIMG_4310.jpg
    zIMG_4310.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 557
Upvote 0
climber said:
My settings were:

f/2.8 and 1/2500s for all three.
ISO 160 for the first one. And ISO 250 for the 2nd and 3rd.

I like the last one, too. But it is cropped, because 200mm was too short. Now, it is 3499 x 2684. Original is 5760 x 3840.

Great photos. Are you using a 7d camera? Or are you just close to the action?

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi bseitz234.
Thanks for posting and the feedback. I took my new lens for a walk hoping to get some bird pictures for the forum, I happened upon theses guys by accident! I was not able to get a lower perspective though I can see from yours that would have been great! Unfortunately the river dropped but the bank didn't! I did look for a route down to get lower, but it would have been a bit of a climb and the misses shot me a disapproving look, it said don't even think about it! :eek:
Not sure what you mean by overcooked? Looks great to me!

Hi Climber.
Nice shots, great colours and action.
Feel free to post more guys.

Cheers Graham.

bseitz234 said:
A bit overcooked, but here's what I mean about the perspective. This drop may be a little taller than the one in your 3rd image (This one is about 10 feet, I'm guessing that one is 8), but there's something about shooting from below that just emphasizes the height...

climber said:
Here are some of mine...

Upvote 0