Kickstarter: Aurora Aperture next gen rear mount filter system now live

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Last week Aurora Aperture announced their next-generation rear mount filter system for a lot of wide-angle lenses. As promised these filters are now available through Kickstarter.
Compatible Canon Lenses:

EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM
EF 11-24mm F4L USM
EF 14mm f/2.8L USM & EF 14mm f/2.8L USM II
EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye
EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM (EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM not supported)
EF 17-35mm f/2.8L USM
EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art
Sigma 14mm F1.8 DG HSM Art

Check out the Aurora Aperture rear mount filters on Kickstarter

Continue reading...

Last edited:

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
Is it impossible to built a rear filter system for each lense? just infront of the sensor/mount?

To bad the 16-35 4.0L is missing on the list.

It would be nice if photo cameras could wear a step-in filter in the sensor-housing. Just like the (old) mirror just from above^^.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... This cannot be seen as a professional option. ...
There is also another reason against "professional use" that I've posted in the other thread about this system:
Not a product for my kit.

I can understand the idea behind it, but when I want to make serious nature photog with WA/UWA lenses my most important filter would be a graduated ND where I can decide the level of the horizon by shifting it in my filter holder. Try to do so with a rear mount filter system :rolleyes:

Luckily they don't offer a CPL for it. That would have made it bonkers :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Wouldn't that filter system be very sensitive to fingerprints or dust? I know from experience that dust on a rear lens element shows up in photos, but you don' have to handle that element, and they seldom get dust on them. A filter might be different and the method of holding it to install it would be critical to keeping it clean.

Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
What if after a shock the filter falls in and hits the sensor? This cannot be seen as a professional option. Just another fancy/marketing thing.

that’s why we have engineers. They do things like calculate and test the G forces it would take to dislodge a magnetic filter and compare that to the G forces a camera might survive.
Pretty easy stuff.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
that’s why we have engineers. They do things like calculate and test the G forces it would take to dislodge a magnetic filter and compare that to the G forces a camera might survive.
Pretty easy stuff.
And you sure they did at Aurora Aperture?
Including an accidentally dropping of the gear?
Hmm... then this company is much better than the guys that did their website :ROFLMAO:
But who cares about good software engineers when we have good mechanical engineers:rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0