Kingfisher - what a bird

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
I really got fascinated by this bird. I am sure others too. In my country it seems to be one of the most interesting birds. I went to a hidingplace close to the water and there was a lot of activity going on. I was hoping to capture the kingfisher in action but those birds are difficult to capture once they take off to catch a fish. But once they sit on a branch you can easily take portraits.
All photos were captured with 5D MKIII and 100-400 II. I used mostly f/7.1 and variation of shutterspeed and iso.
I later found out that I needed to micro adjust my autofocus so not all photos are as sharp as I wanted.

Jul 28, 2015
Yep, I'm obsessed wit them as well.
We had a pair in the local park that was quite happy with dogs swimming in the river and people standing on the opposite bank - but at one time it was diving into the water less than 10 feet from where I was stood (in the open). We had some great displays but I never saw more than one perched at a time - and for that I am jealous of your shots :) .
Unfortunately I think this year's is a different pair because they are much more elusive.

Nice shots, candyman, especially the last one.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
candyman said:
I really got fascinated by this bird. I am sure others too.
Me, too.

A friend of mine told me he knew about a place where they're breeding last year.
This year I was so keen on getting there but he told me they were gone :(
I'll have to search on. :'(

In the meantime I can take a look at your beautiful shots and dream about trying something like that on my own.
Thank you for sharing. :)

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
Maximilian said:
candyman said:
I really got fascinated by this bird. I am sure others too.
Me, too.

A friend of mine told me he knew about a place where they're breeding last year.
This year I was so keen on getting there but he told me they were gone :(
I'll have to search on. :'(

In the meantime I can take a look at your beautiful shots and dream about trying something like that on my own.
Thank you for sharing. :)

Thank you :)
I know what you mean. I was in this location before but very little activity then. I guess there was less disturbance over the last few months in this location making them less shy. I guess I was lucky.

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
Mikehit said:
Yep, I'm obsessed wit them as well.
We had a pair in the local park that was quite happy with dogs swimming in the river and people standing on the opposite bank - but at one time it was diving into the water less than 10 feet from where I was stood (in the open). We had some great displays but I never saw more than one perched at a time - and for that I am jealous of your shots :) .
Unfortunately I think this year's is a different pair because they are much more elusive.

Nice shots, candyman, especially the last one.

Thank you :)
The last photo is part of a small series of photos. My adrenaline was going up while I spotted them together. It is like the argue or maybe it is a romantic thing ;)
I must say that these are the moments I look for. I am heading back in August and hopefully with better weather. It was raining and a cloudy day.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
candyman said:
I really got fascinated by this bird. I am sure others too. In my country it seems to be one of the most interesting birds. I went to a hidingplace close to the water and there was a lot of activity going on. I was hoping to capture the kingfisher in action but those birds are difficult to capture once they take off to catch a fish. But once they sit on a branch you can easily take portraits.
All photos were captured with 5D MKIII and 100-400 II. I used mostly f/7.1 and variation of shutterspeed and iso.
I later found out that I needed to micro adjust my autofocus so not all photos are as sharp as I wanted.

I enjoyed the series candyman :) Thank you for sharing

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
Dylan777 said:
candyman said:

I enjoyed the series candyman :) Thank you for sharing
Thanks Dylan :)

Upvote 0

FEBS

Action Photography
CR Pro
One of the Kingfishers I did see in Uganda last year.

20150912-_2D_1571-L.jpg

By the way: I like much more the eurasian kingfisher as shown by the OP. Maybe I need to go to visit that location. Great kingfisher series on your site Jeroen.

Upvote 0
We have a visitor or two on our lake, but the river runs in trees alongside, the kingfisher uses the river as I kind of canion and flies low crossing onto the lake, it's SO fast by the time you see it it's gone, never uses the same path, very wild also so once they see you thats the last time for a few hours! I see lots of photos of them and think I need to try harder, the last one of yours is GREAT, it's very different from the run of the mill shots, I'd be VERY happy with that!

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
FEBS said:
On of the Kingfishers I did see in Uganda last year.

A

https://francoisloyens.smugmug.com/Project/Oeganda/i-JxCMTkN/A

By the way: I like much more the eurasian kingfisher as shown by the OP. Maybe I need to go to visit that location. Great kingfisher series on your site Jeroen.

General Remark: I can't see the image directly here, the link to the site does work. Anyone any idea what's wrong? Did publish several photos in the past and they were all shown on CR directly from my smugmug site.
Thank you Francois :)
I must travel because around the world you have great looking family of 'our' kingfisher. That's a nice catch also with the fish.
Great series of Uganda! I hope one day in the future......

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
arthurbikemad said:
We have a visitor or two on our lake, but the river runs in trees alongside, the kingfisher uses the river as I kind of canion and flies low crossing onto the lake, it's SO fast by the time you see it it's gone, never uses the same path, very wild also so once they see you thats the last time for a few hours! I see lots of photos of them and think I need to try harder, the last one of yours is GREAT, it's very different from the run of the mill shots, I'd be VERY happy with that!

Hello Arthur,
They are fast. I put myself a target to shoot them while diving and coming out from the water.
That is some challenge :)

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
Jaccop said:
My favorite bird, lives nearby in holland. Last year as super this year bit quiet.
That's a nice one Jacco
They have their way of looking.....in many ways ;D
All the time turning their head...but mostly to see if something is moving in the water...
Mine were shot in the Netherlands ;)

Upvote 0